I didn't know this ...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

I didn't know this ...

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I just read this in Jay Leno's column in the latest edition of Octane :

"I don't know how it is in other countries but, in the United States, in many communities it is now illegal to work on your own car in your own garage, even with the door shut. Many homeowners' associations have passed by-laws making it illegal to own & keep at home anything more than just basic handtools. Screwdrivers, hammers & suchlike are OK; welding equipment, lathes & so on are not." :shock:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: I didn't know this ...

Post by jwhillracer »

And yet you can walk down the road and buy half a dozen automatic rifles without a problem.
America scares me.
JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
hot66

Post by hot66 »

and they panic if they see female nipples :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
orkneydave
DDK slapper chatter

Post by orkneydave »

That's just nuts! Although I did know that there are byelaws in many towns in the States preventing the hanging out of washing as it looks "untidy"!
Dave Neil

1972 Land Rover Series 3 (Instagram @alfredthe109)
1972 MGB GT (mostly in bits!)
Wanted: Half decent early 914
KS

Post by KS »

orkneydave wrote:That's just nuts! Although I did know that there are byelaws in many towns in the States preventing the hanging out of washing as it looks "untidy"!
Actually, quite a few properties in this country have covenants which state you can't hang washing outside. Crazy but true...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

hot66 wrote:and they panic if they see female nipples :lol:
Unless they're on a favourite hog...
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

KS wrote:
orkneydave wrote:That's just nuts! Although I did know that there are byelaws in many towns in the States preventing the hanging out of washing as it looks "untidy"!
Actually, quite a few properties in this country have covenants which state you can't hang washing outside. Crazy but true...
And a good many also prohibit keeping caravans, motorhomes or commercial vans on drives too. Most are temporary covenants put in place when new estates are built that should, but often aren’t, removed after the last plot is sold.

I can’t imagine they are very often enforced. It was a potential issue at one of our old properties and our solicitor advised that you would have to REALLY annoy someone for them to pursue you this way :lol:
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I read that too in Octane.
I seem to remember old 50's/60's USA films about these kind of controlled areas, almost science fiction in their day.

We have a 'ban' on our 50 year old estate about changing the public face of our houses, the mock Georgian style has to be maintained.
Supposedly, you also cannot run a business from the houses, and to have your liveried van on the drive...a no-no, but the plumber next door ignores that (it is a cul-de-sac), no big deal.

I know the appearance issue is still in force, but you can have a coloured front door!

Anyway, so much for the USA being the Land of the Free.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
jjeffries
DDK slapper chatter

Post by jjeffries »

I came to the US in 1981 as a 15 year old from Bristol.

Re. the matter at hand: these are private developments, condominium associations. A drive around any American area, coast-to-coast and especially in between, will show you more freedom than you'd ever want to see, and it's often not good: old cars, and not the kind anyone dreams of, moldering away and crap strewn about. Jules Balme once said it best: "Americans have too much space". True dat.

And.... you guys have your own fair share of rules you're forced to adhere to, no? :roll:

Yes, the gun thing is utterly and unspeakably absurd. Racism still impacts much of society's fabric. Wilfull ignorance may be the citizenship's biggest sin... it certainly allowed our current appalling leadership crisis (y'all have one of those too, right?). But whenever I visit GB, I'm always glad/relieved to arrive back to "New England".

To which you guys may justifiable say: "Good riddance!"

Best wishes to all, hopefully things get back to normal soon, although it was pretty Abby-Normal before the pandemic arrived.

John/Connecticut