1969 LWB Porsche 912 project coupe LHD

Porsche Cars classifieds (and DDK'ers other cars that need to go in the pursuit of Porsche Paradise!)

Moderators: Helen, Bootsy

Edomatic
DDK addict

1969 LWB Porsche 912 project coupe LHD

Post by Edomatic »

1969 Porsche 912 LHD coupe project.
I bought my 912 nearly 5 years ago from California and had it shipped to Ireland. It was not always in CA though and has an Illinois title. It is a LWB car and came as a roller. No engine or gearbox. I had a 2.7 engine and box to fit into it, but overseas work and life keeps getting in the way and not much has happened since! It is customs cleared into Ireland/EU and needs registration here or in the UK.
The 2.7 engine and box are now set for a different project but I got 2 years ago a 914 2.0 engine and gearbox to use in the 912. The box has been rebuilt (by known names) with flipped pinion etc to work in the 912. The engine turns by hand but has not been rebuilt and is basically a long block. These could be sold with the car if needed.
Now to the car itself!
It is a non sunroof coupe. Originally Irish green but now black. I have the CoA for it.
It is straight but needs work! I will give a detailed description of what I think is required and what comes with the car too.
Bodywork:
The front slam panel appears OK with no major rust
The battery box on both sides has a hole where a spotlight bracket was welded to them
The inner wings appear ok at the lower edge but have had metal tacked in (poorly) along the top lip on both sides.
The inner wheel arch at the bottom will need work both sides
The splash panels wing retainaing panels at both sides will need work.
The front suspension pan will need replacement (someone has pop riveted a panel over it!)
The bottom of the smugglers box will need work, The rest of the bulkhead area looks pretty good
I have two front wings for the car but both are poor.
The bonnet might be needed for another car, have a fibreglass one though..
The corners of the windscreen area seem OK.
The windcreen pillers are good.
The roof is in good condition
The door hinge pillers A posts look OK, maybe need work at the bottom??
The two doors are good
The sills both sides will definitely need replacement! A patch has been pop riveted on one side!
The kidney bowls will need replacement
The rear wings are very good and also the door striker panels are OK.
The rear inner wings and the seat pans are good inside the cabin
The parcel shelf is also good
corners of the rear window are also good
The floor pans are OKish but have patches. as part of sill work, better to just replace
The inner wings in the engine bay are ok except on right side, has a rust hole where the oil tank/filter would go if it was a 911.
The rear crossmember needs work at the edges.
Have an engine lid for it.
The torque tube will need work at the drivers side if I recall...think it has been patched I will be taking detailed photos next week of the whole car.
What comes with the car;
It is a rolling shell, with front and rear suspension. the wheels are from a 924 turbo i think so will able to roll.
Have some brake parts with it such as calipers, will need a rebuild
Front and rear windscreen fitted
Chrome door frames are good, It has maunual wind up windows, the regulators are fitted. I also have chrome rear quarter windows for it.
It has 1969 front seats fitted in decent shape but recovered at some point and rear seats..
no carpets or door cards and pockets.
It is a 5 dial dash but I have no instruments (might have some 914 instruments if any good?)
Will check what steering wheel I have for it
The pedal box is fitted
No wiper moter or linkage fitted but I should have same in a box.
Same with the fan and ventilation box, think I have it.
The wiring is all in place.
Got some US spec headlights
think I have some rear lights, will check
Might have a grille for the engine lid.
Will take loads of photos end of next week and put a link to same.
Summary: Does need work but as a LWB non sunroof coupe it has lots of potential.
I was going to do a light hot rod look back to Irish green with the 2.0 914 engine uprated to 2270cc and the 5 speed 901 box fitted. It would be a nice car!

Price?

For the rolling shell as described above, i would like 8750 STG. If interested in the 914 2.0 engine and rebuilt box I will need 2.5K more. not selling the engine and box separate unless the car sells first!
Message me if interested.

See link below for photos of the 912 on Flickr of it in the USA when i bought it, and in Ireland.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/155448738@N08/46VUsK

Here are a few poor photos as I am currently abroad! Thanks Eddie

Image912 porsche by ed carr

Regards, Eddie

1969 912 Coupe LHD (potential hot rod!)
1978 Mercedes 280 CE RHD
1986 Renault Alpine V6 GTA Turbo
1987 Renault Alpine V6 GTA Turbo
1998 911(996) Carrera 2 manual