Quick shift

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Sloz
DDK Seasoned Poster

Quick shift

Post by Sloz »

Was looking at the Paul Smith 2litre cup car, does anyone know what gear lever is in the race cars? Id like to put a shorter throw lever in ours as 4 is so far away in the dog leg 5 speed! I would rather have a complete new lever and keep my original spare.
domtoni
DDK forever

Re: Quick shift

Post by domtoni »

I've got a 69E, and was advised not to put a short shifter in it. The short shifter will move the gears in the transmission too fast for the synchros to handle the change, and you will beat the synchros. Better stay with a standard shifter (perhaps buy a new one).

Dom
domtoni
1969 911E
ER Polybronze bushings, turbo tie rod ends, and 21/26mm torsion bars
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

I have been through 3 'short-shift-kits' albeit on my 73 with 915 trans. which hates to be rushed.

All were a retrograde step back from the stock shifter, esp the factory made one!
IMHO I would keep away from them.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

I have the Rennshifter in my 2.2 litre car with a 911 gearbox. The change is MUCH more precise than the original lever. It requires a little more effort to move between the gears. I have had no issues with beating the synchro's but they are old gearboxes and don't like to be rushed. I couple of folk have driven my car and I have had mixed reviews, some love it, other hate it. It does require getting use to it but its stayed in my car for 6 or 7 years so I suppose that says something.
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

I have a Rennshifter as well, it allows you to move the gear knob closer to you as well. And I take my time shifting, you don't snatch gears in a 915 if you want it to last, no matter what sort of gear change you have.

It is a good precise shift and being set in the 3rd/4th plane it gives you more confidence in snicking in the gears.
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
hot66

Post by hot66 »

johnM wrote:I have the Rennshifter in my 2.2 litre car with a 911 gearbox. The change is MUCH more precise than the original lever. It requires a little more effort to move between the gears. I have had no issues with beating the synchro's but they are old gearboxes and don't like to be rushed. I couple of folk have driven my car and I have had mixed reviews, some love it, other hate it. It does require getting use to it but its stayed in my car for 6 or 7 years so I suppose that says something.
I'm one of those that hates it :bigsmurf:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

I have a Rennshifter in my '73/915 and found the increased effort killed-off the precision (which it certainly adds).

I added a 50mm extension to the lever which gives much the same travel as stock but keeps the precision and the bias to the 3/4th plane in the H pattern.
It also bought the gear knob much closer to hand so the long throw is easy to reach, tailor made!
It is still a bit on the 'nochy' side.

Been in my car 3 years now. Tried the factory kit and the Siene system after it.
I think we were all part of Andy A's Group buy?

Today, I only drive the car on high days when I'm invariably not in a rush unlike a determined hill climb run against the clock.
I can hear some 915's being changed at speeds 2 times quicker on a hill climb and no crunches, maybe not all 915's are equal....

My box has been rebuilt by the Lake District master.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
paul911
DDK addict

Post by paul911 »

I have a Rennshifter, I would not go back. 901 box, you still can’t rush changes but I find it a big improvement when driving it hard

Paul