Exhaust coating

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Exhaust coating

Post by mdmax72 »

Has anyone here had their exhaust ceramic coated by Zircotec.

Im curious if any of you have had any problems with the coating flaking from the exhaust. Or if you haven’t had any problems, how long ago was it since you had the coating applied. Was your exhaust steel or stainless?
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
corner shop
DDK addict

Re: Exhaust coating

Post by corner shop »

https://www.performance1coatings.com/ce ... ating-cars

I had my SSIs and silencer done - no issues to date, but only covered 1k-2k miles since
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Rich - many years ago I had a 911R exhaust system (headers + 2-in 2-out muffler + 2 short megaphones) ceramic-coated by Camcoat in Warrington. From memory, the cost was ~ £400 even 12 years ago … :shock:

In contrast I had the 'street' exhaust - basically a 2-in 2-out 'silencer' - on my 904 powder-coated in a heat proof finish in Wolverhampton for ~ £40 & after approx. 4500 miles it was still almost 'as new'.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

My memory is playing tricks - I just checked my 904 build thread & the 'street' exhaust was media blasted & sprayed with high temp paint, not powdercoated:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36741&p=354774&hili ... ed#p354774
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Lightweight_911 wrote:My memory is playing tricks - I just checked my 904 build thread & the 'street' exhaust was media blasted & sprayed with high temp paint, not powdercoated:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36741&p=354774&hili ... ed#p354774
Do you think the ceramic paints help stop heat getting out of the exhaust to the engine?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

I believe Performance1 Coatings is an Agent for Zircotec.

The reason for me asking is because I’ve had the exhaust manifold coated in their Volcanic Black last year. It started flaking after 12 months and they re-applied the coating in Feb this year and they covered all costs.. Now this has started to flake again so im wondering if this is a commen issue or am l having a problem with my exhaust. I’ve contacted Zircotec, but waiting for a reply.

I know this product is used in variety of applications and l can’t understan why it keeps failing.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I went through all this on my hot Impreza 10 years ago, 360 bhp etc so lots of heat in a very crowded engine bay.

Decided to wrap the complex manifolds instead, pre and post the turbo/CAT.
Did this because I was not sure of anyone getting the pipe surfaces really clean, and I think this is why the coatings can come off in small or large areas.
Also, the Impreza manifolds are as exposed to road grit as much as a 911's are and that will grind the coating off in time on a road used car.

The wrapping lasted 4 years before doing the pre turbo pipes again and the wrapping stinks to high-heaven when wet, so all is not a perfect world.
The 911 manifolds are probably more exposed to road induced wear and tear, so wrapping would not last well.

I am not convinced about the benefits of the coating or wrapping process in a 911 road car, just my opinion before anyone shouts at me.
Typical Impreza manifold wrap below which keeps the exhaust gases as hot as possible pre turbo which also gets the CAT hotter too.

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

We’ve had a Zircotec Ceramic coating applied to stainless steel manifolds on a Bentley of which one has done 35,000 miles with no issues. The car spends lots of time in France at 80mph in hot summers, so lots of heat. It’s just under 5 litres and extremely hot.
corner shop
DDK addict

Post by corner shop »

mdmax72 wrote:I believe Performance1 Coatings is an Agent for Zircotec.

The reason for me asking is because I’ve had the exhaust manifold coated in their Volcanic Black last year. It started flaking after 12 months and they re-applied the coating in Feb this year and they covered all costs.. Now this has started to flake again so im wondering if this is a commen issue or am l having a problem with my exhaust. I’ve contacted Zircotec, but waiting for a reply.

I know this product is used in variety of applications and l can’t understan why it keeps failing.
Why do you think they are linked to zircotec? They are obviously close in proximity, but otherwise...?
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

corner shop wrote:
mdmax72 wrote:I believe Performance1 Coatings is an Agent for Zircotec.

Why do you think they are linked to zircotec? They are obviously close in proximity, but otherwise...?
It’s on Performance1’s website.

We are proud to have been part of the Zircotec Group since 2017.

Being part of the group enables us to strive towards product excellence and invest in the research & development polymer ceramic coating products to meet your requirements.
Rich

DDK Member 0547