rhd steering rack

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

rhd steering rack

Post by Dean.s »

The change to turbo tie rods is a known modification/upgrade and as many others have done i too have these.

if the tie rods fit the 914 racks will the rack from the same era 911 fit a 914?

I'm thinking towards my next resto car and my mrs need to drive a rhd car.
1974 Porsche 914
Mr Pharmacist
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: rhd steering rack

Post by Mr Pharmacist »

Easiest way to check is to download the PET for both models and check to see of the part numbers are the same. If they are they problem solved.

However I'm pretty sure that there isn't a LHD or RHD version - I think they are both the same as the steering linkage rod is central on the rack. I think!

Are you thinking of converting a 914 to RHD?
Stuart

1970 914 2056cc
1979 924 n/a - RIP
1986 924S
1969 912 Targa - sold
Dean.s
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Dean.s »

Thanks for the hint about the catalogues.

My next 914 will need to be rhd so likely another usa import and then convert that. The fabrication and welding is not beyond me it was the parts compatibility and availability that would dictate the conversion.

My mrs has sat in our current one but does not like the low down lhd position.
1974 Porsche 914
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

My car was LHD and part converted to RHD when I picked it up, the steering had never been connected though. I have used the same rack, you just need to set it up to work without knocking. Maurice very kindly helped, as did Mike Karavasili, and the steering UJs work as planet gears, so they need to 'aligned' to each other to turn in sync with each other. It was a bit of a hit and miss affair, I masked one and put a line on it in biro, then took apart and reassembled one spline round until I found the sweet spot when they did not knock.

Since then, there have been no issues whatsoever, and I run Turbo rod ends also - they are the same for LHD and RHD cars. Happy for you to come and look at the car and see what is involved on the whole left to right thing - I am in the Midlands, just send me a pm.

Hope that helps

Wayne
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
davep
I luv DDK!

Post by davep »

The basic racks are interchangeable. The main difference is the length of the shaft that connects to the center of the rack.
Porsche historian & researcher, contact me for Kardex through 1969 model year.
Addicted since 1975