Le Mans Classic

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

ThreeTwo
DDK Fanatic

Le Mans Classic

Post by ThreeTwo »

Hi...we have been to Le Mans Classic quite a few times before and always been with Travel Destinations...who we can't fault

One thing we have always wanted to do but never sorted in time is the Porsche track laps.....and the other thing is to park with the Porsche crew (hey it was great parking with DDK last time though...)

So...the questions are
How do we arrange to join the Porsche on circuit lap?
How do we arrange to park with Porsche inside the circuit?

Yes - it is early but determined to do these things in 2018!!!

Thanks
Paul

1973 914 1.7 - Signal Orange
1986 911 3.2 Carrera Super Sport Cabriolet - India Red
1977 VW T2 Westfalia Berlin - Sage Green
1992 Suzuki Samurai Sport - Turquoise
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: Le Mans Classic

Post by Bootsy »

2018 not available yet

You just book it all through Porsche Club France direct when the tickets are released
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
redrobin911
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by redrobin911 »

Hi to all - I was going to wait a month or so before posting this information but as the subject of Le Mans Classic has been mentioned now seems the right time.

At Le Mans Classic in 2016 I organised the "tour" for Porsche Club Ireland which was for 30+ members in 17 cars/motor homes. I secured 600m2 of space through Andrew Melley of Travel Destinations. Our designated area was within a larger 2nd campsite at the other side of Porsche Curves from Travel Destinations main campsite. Within this 2nd campsite there were a few other car clubs, some motor homes/caravans and TD had their tepee tents. The campsite had private on site facilities with our own shower/toilet blocks as well as a bar/restaurant located within a small marquee, and of course the site was secure. Another bonus was that we had private access to Porsche Curves to spectate. Overall the experience was very good with many on our tour remarking that it was the best Le Mans experience they've had.

Some of the Porsche Club Ireland guys want me to organise this again for 2018 which I'm happy to do. What I am happy to propose would be a combined Porsche Campsite for all UK/Ireland owners to include PCI, DDK and possibly PCGB and TIPEC - and I know some of us are members of more than one of these organisations so kinda makes sense.

I've recently spoken to Andrew from TD outlining these plans and he's more than happy I proceed. The good news is that he has told me I can book as much space as I need so there is no limit to the numbers going so the pitch could go up from 600m2 to 1000m2 or more if needed?

The main benefit is a lower cost compared with booking directly with TD or 1st Tickets etc. another benefit on our own site is a relaxed approach to space allocation - while it's normal to have 6mx6m or a 5mx7m pitch, at last year's event we had so much extra space that it was virtually free camping - just setup wherever you want - I'd expect a similar approach for 2018.

Pricing as you would expect is not available, but Andrew has indicated that costs should be c.10% more than in 2016. If that is the case the pricing should be approx. £500 - this would be for two people in one vehicle i.e. £250 each. The price also would include general admission tickets and paddock passes but does not include ferry crossings. The reason we (PCI) didn't include these was because we had members traveling from many different ports in NI, Ireland and the UK and with some extending their stay for holidays it just made sense that people booked their own ferries.

I can also secure low cost ferry travel via Nutt Travel here in NI who will gladly give us a group discounted rate - more on that later and closer to the time - but you'll have to book this yourself.

In addition I can also book grandstand seating and parade laps with the cost last year being £180 - so expect £200 possibly for 2018 but as Bootsy mentioned these can be booked directly from Le Mans.

One last note regarding the costs is that the euro / stg rate has moved 20% in value compared to June last year and while the event was early July most of the costs for TD / 1st tickets etc would have been incurred prior to Brexit and the downturn in the value of stg. To that extent pricing may go up - but it's going to be the same regardless of who people choose to go with.

Just to explain why I do this?? I'm an owner/MD of a exhibition contracting business in NI and international Project Management is what I do. I love Le Mans Classic and have been to them all from the start when it was €10 to camp in Blue Nord for the weekend!! I'm more than happy to help PCI DDK etc. and I do this very close to cost price, but in reality I get free camping for me and my motor home in return for the service I provide.

I'm happy to offer this to DDK and welcome your thoughts and comments - happy to answer any questions.

See pic of the site from last year and also location of the site outlined in orange.

65 911 FIA race car
66 911 RHD restoration
67 911S LHD
74 911 Carrera 2.7 US Spec
79 Aistream Excella 28 MH
97 Bimota Vdue
14 KTM 690R Duke
83 RD350 YPVS
08 Ducati M900
00 Ducati 996SPS
944 T, 3.2 RSR, GT3 - SOLD
hot66

Post by hot66 »

I've previously organised all the ddk clm trips, either doing it all direct or in recent years with 1st tickets. Always had the option of private camping but historically people have wanted the cheaper option of our own area within the general camping . Always had track laps and then our own infield parking area too.

I'll be honest, I've felt for 2018 we need to do something a bit different. Problem has been we try and make more of the road trip and end up maybe only 2 nights at the circuit and in that situation the private camping becomes an expensive option on a per night basis.

Think it be good though robin to have a forum discussion on what the majority want.

I'd like to think something like your suggestion could be perfect for us all
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
redrobin911

Post by redrobin911 »

hot66 wrote:Think it be good though robin to have a forum discussion on what the majority want.

I'd like to think something like your suggestion could be perfect for us all Image
I'm just offer my 2p worth and offering to help rather than take over if you follow me - no objection either to a joint effort as we both PCI and DDK would save in the long rung by splitting costs for the "pitch" - agree its worth further discussion - possibly a new thread to get it rolling?
65 911 FIA race car
66 911 RHD restoration
67 911S LHD
97 Bimota Vdue
14 KTM 690R Duke
83 RD350 YPVS
08 Ducati M900
00 Ducati 996SPS
woznot
Married to the DDK

Post by woznot »

I satyed at the same place last year , we had the glamping Teepees though , had a great time - 3 of us went in a Jag MK11 , next year the 911 will be going as well , not sure what we are going to do yet , but I do know you want to get it booked before Nov ..
911L "Rallye" RHD
BMW Alpina D4 Biturbo
BMW 1M
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

Good spacing I thought, and the area was better security wise, none of the prowlers you find in the geneal camping.

Robin provides enterainment as well. Better than Ed Sheeran too !
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Don't suppose anyone anyone else wants to stay in a hotel or share a house?
Last edited by yoda on Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The force is strong in this one ......
hot66

Post by hot66 »

You know we have a ban on watercooled in ddk camping ;)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

How much was our camping last year James? something tells me it was a lot less than £500...?
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

hot66

Post by hot66 »

It was .

£134 per person based on 2 Ina car incl all entrance , paddock etc

£179 for a single person

I think We decided not to do private camping with 1st tickets for that reason.
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

£179 compared to £500 is a big difference, personally I'd rather spend the extra on the hotels etc en route as we are usually all together on site anyway and its been fine every year.....

Or the extra on another trip to the alps! ;)
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

dragonfly
I luv DDK!

Post by dragonfly »

964RS wrote:£179 compared to £500 is a big difference, personally I'd rather spend the extra on the hotels etc en route as we are usually all together on site anyway and its been fine every year.....

Or the extra on another trip to the alps! ;)
I think I may have spent the balance on beer last time, but I can't remember too clearly.

I definitely want to go again and There's half a chance my 911 will be running again by then, so hopefully I won't need to pinch my wife's car again
Al
Member #665
'81 911SC Arrow Blue
Dragonfly 28 trimaran - no speed limits at sea
redrobin911

Post by redrobin911 »

dragonfly wrote:
964RS wrote:£179 compared to £500 is a big difference, personally I'd rather spend the extra on the hotels etc en route as we are usually all together on site anyway and its been fine every year.....
Just a couple of points obviously your previous £179 was for one person and the £500 was for two in a car. i.e. £250 per person and is estimated for next year. Our actual cost last year was £210 per person (£420 per ptich) and now with a 20% devaluation in the Euro/Stg rate and natural inflation increases Iover the past 2 yrs I'm estimating that the £210 will go up to £250 per person. pricing will not be available until closer to the end of the year.

The real difference in price is going to probably be in the region of £100pp - i.e. £134pp to £250pp ish (all things being considered - and compared to 1st tickets etc.) and the additonal cost well worth it for the security alone - not forgetting - private camping, private spectating, better on site shower/toilet facilities, private bar/restuarant. Surely our Porsches are worth the extra £100 - or a £20 to £25 per night rather than risk them being stolen? I would also estimate that 1st tickets etc, will have a similar increase i.e. £134 up to £160? - So the actual difference per person will be less than £100 - by how much? Impossible to find out at the mo.

I for one would not park/camp in a non-secure site at Le Mans, yes it may have been fine in previous years, and yes our cars are insured, but you get what you pay for. The amount of money we're taking about in real terms is very little - surely we all want the best value for money, and the cheapeat solution isn't always that.....
65 911 FIA race car
66 911 RHD restoration
67 911S LHD
97 Bimota Vdue
14 KTM 690R Duke
83 RD350 YPVS
08 Ducati M900
00 Ducati 996SPS
hot66

Post by hot66 »

never had an issue parking in public camping areas .. have done every event since 2004. Quite enjoy being in with the general rabble

I have an issue with lack of toilets / showers on general camping areas though ! :lol:

.. also, you don't know how 'cheap' some of the northern DDK crew are :lol: :lol:

But, as you say Robin, the price differential is negligable in 2018 .. I've paid extra in the past for the ACO grandstand just so I've had access to decent clean bogs :lol:

I'm swaying towards private camping for 2018, but i will go with the flow as these days the event is all about the people I'm travelling with .

Just for the record, ref 2016 prices : ( you can see there was a big difference between general & private , which is why we all opted for general )

full list of our 2016 options are here :

http://www.1st-tickets.co.uk/ph/enquiriesddk.html
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster