RHD 356's

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

POR68
DDK above all

RHD 356's

Post by POR68 »

On the US-based 356 Reg 'site - there is a discussion about the numbers of RHD 356s sold and delivered in-country, that I have become interested in and contributed to. I have listed some of the data of which I am aware on Australian/NZ deliveries and to a lesser extent on South Africa (seems some went to the bottom of the Suez Canal). There are also other cars that were personal imports at the time.

Mike Smith is clearly the expert on this issue, however.

I was looking for a lead on how to determine the number/models delivered to each country (then) requiring RHD (e.g., Sweden changed to LHD officially in 1967 I gather)?

Many thanks,

Merv
Merv

Australia
Porsche 356 BT6 (1 of 44 Australian delivered)
simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Re: RHD 356's

Post by simon james »

Hi Merv.
This is a question that many of us are waiting to know and it seems pointless guessing.
There is a book in the process of being written by Mike Smith and Hendrik Moulds, they have trawled through the production records at Porsche so I think it is only fair, given the time and effort put in by these two that we sit back and wait for it's publication.
I have my name down for two copies. How about you?
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.
POR68
DDK above all

Post by POR68 »

Thanks Simon. I do agree that is entirely fair and if they are doing the work that would be great. I wonder when that will be out and from where? Beyond the production data, I have been able to get a good deal of the Australian 'stories' that go with many of the cars from here.
Merv

Australia
oldtimer
DDK forever

Post by oldtimer »

POR68 wrote:On the US-based 356 Reg 'site - there is a discussion about the numbers of RHD 356s sold and delivered in-country, that I have become interested in and contributed to. I have listed some of the data of which I am aware on Australian/NZ deliveries and to a lesser extent on South Africa (seems some went to the bottom of the Suez Canal). There are also other cars that were personal imports at the time.

Mike Smith is clearly the expert on this issue, however.

I was looking for a lead on how to determine the number/models delivered to each country (then) requiring RHD (e.g., Sweden changed to LHD officially in 1967 I gather)?

Many thanks,

Merv
Hi Merv , very rough numbers for UK import RHD cars going through AFN the main distributor -

around 1200 total of which 200 cabs and 20 speedsters , across all production years.

I don't think there are many survivors , when we try to organise a 356 day , a good turnout is 25-30 cars .

You should have a higher survival rate on the Australian imports , it is weather related :lol:
3ftDeep
DDK above all

Post by 3ftDeep »

Also, according to Mike Smith (such a helpful chap : ) my RHD 1959 356A T2 was apparently the 500th car sold by AFN. I also think mine was one of the last A's as a I found a 1959 B online, originally sold by AFN, with a number plate only a few numbers different from mine.

So, UK / AFN wise, around 500 cars up to the start of the B's / 1959 (from my uneducated perspective : )
1959 356A T2 RHD.
Original UK - 500th AFN sale.
Vin 108544
Original engine 1600cc standard - P75269 (missing)
Current engine 1955 1500cc - P35778
Car is awaiting restoration.
Originally silver with red interior
Many oxide induced ventilation holes.
Hendrik Moulds
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

OK, since Simon has linked me publicly to the project then maybe I should say a bit about what we've been doing and our plans.

Mike and I have been several times to the archive, probably culminating in 20 days of work there all of which has been self funded. This may seem glamorous but it's been a lot of repetitive work to try and make sure we have as correct, complete and accurate a list of right hand drive 356s produced worldwide by the factory as possible. Despite the unglamorous nature of the work I do feel extremely privileged to have been involved with this and seeing the minutiae is something I thrive on. This list is pretty much complete but needs some details clarifying as we want everything to be as accurate as possible before putting anything in print.

In the meantime I have been building the draft of the book which includes short histories of the principal right hand drive countries, a large number of unseen photos, technical details regarding these cars and other chapters. The emphasis is to give new information rather than re-writing previous works and as such we have been relying on period information rather than previous works which again makes the production of the book more time consuming.

As I'm sure you can appreciate we both have other work and life commitments on top of doing this and are doing it because of our love for the cars rather than as a vocation or to make money. However, the project has to be finished at some point and as such we are aiming to have a finished published book for sale at the 356 International next year as it will be held in the UK. It would be foolish of us to miss this opportunity.

I appreciate this has taken a long time, much longer than I was expecting, and understand everyone's impatience in getting this as well as mine in finally getting it done. Please rest assured we are doing our best.
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
porscheman
DDK addict

Post by porscheman »

Hendrik, you and Mike deserve a medal for your efforts and sticking at it for so long.....

If funding is needed to publish why not take advance orders, I am sure there will be plenty of takers, with a £high deposit?

Who is organising next year's international, when is it, and where is it to be based?

Thanks
Keith

Early 1956 RHD T1 (101st AFN)

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

Keith, thanks for your words of encouragement.
Time is the problem rather than money, I will just keep chipping away at the rock face until it's done.

As far as I know Simon Bowry and Jamie Richardson are involved (and Fred Hampton?) but the honest answer is I don't really know. I have offered to help but haven't really had a response. Last I heard it was going to be in the Cambridge area, whether that's still the case I don't know. They will have to have finalised it by this years international in May though.
(Formally 356ist)
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
porscheman
DDK addict

Post by porscheman »

Thanks, I will keep my ear to the ground.....
Keith

Early 1956 RHD T1 (101st AFN)

Post by Merv »

Thanks Hendrik. Mike had explained to me earlier what you are doing and we all agree how valuable and appreciated that work is. Great interest will also be on the details and the back stories, I suspect. The overall numbers and their distribution across markets are also interesting. I suspect there are troves of old images of cars in Australia, SA and elsewhere. Let us know at any time if we can assist with any aspects of a local nature. Best wishes
sanjay
DDK slapper chatter

Post by sanjay »

Found in the paperwork for my race car.
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

Nice piece of history to have with your car Sanjay, you are lucky as these things mostly get lost over time.
(Formally 356ist)
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
POR68
DDK above all

Post by POR68 »

It is indeed Hendrik. I still have my original order paperwork from Hamiltons, Australia and images of its rally days in the 70's. We look forward to your forthcoming book with Mike. The Australian survival rate is probably higher (Oldtimer) and Geoff Starkey here has some well compiled stories and data.

Merv
Merv

Australia
left4dead
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by left4dead »

Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

Thanks, they come up all the time and I try to keep up but am sure I miss some sometimes.
(Formally 356ist)
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
ALL RHD OF COURSE!