KW suspension for G-series

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

murph2309
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

KW suspension for G-series

Post by murph2309 »

Hi - I know next to nothing about suspension, but I do know I need to change all of the shockers / dampers on my SC, which isn't going to be super-cheap. Then I saw the article in this month's CP and looked at the KW option.

Now they look super shiny and nicely engineered and have clicky things on them. But what do we think? Any good as an upgrade?

And if I do go to a track for a day, could I just turn up the clicks for better (firmer) handling on track and then unclick them for a smoother more road-damped return journey?

I'd be putting on a new set of bilsteins all round as an alternative, but would appreciate any views on this product whilst thinking about committing €3k (before fitting costs) into this.

Many thanks

http://www.kwsuspensions.net/porsche_911_g-body
1971 2.2 S Targa viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37364
1978 3.0 SC Coupe
1970 VW Type 2 viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62339&p
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Re: KW suspension for G-series

Post by smallspeed »

I have no experience on a 911 but I've never been a big fan of KW on anything esle..
For that much money id look at bilstein (which I believe someone just fitted on a 993 - maybe ferryman? ) or something a little more bespoke like nitron
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Unless you are likely to do regular trackdays in the car I would stick to standard sports bilsteins and spend the money saved on new bushes, drop links turbo tie rods, etc. An impact bumper car on fresh suspension and setup properly is a huge difference over a car with tired shocks and bushes.
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Hi Rich, hope all is well.
I have Bilstein PSS10s (so adjustable by means of clicky knobs) on my 993.
Very happy indeed with them, used at the softer end of their settings for A / B road use.
Although I did renew all the bushes and get the geo done by Center Gravity at the same time, so the resulting transformation to the car's behaviour might be mostly down to that, not the dampers, for all I know.
Cheers, Richard.
Last edited by inaglasshouse on Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

chris hak
DDK slapper chatter

Post by chris hak »

murph2309 wrote:Hi - I know next to nothing about suspension, but I do know I need to change all of the shockers / dampers on my SC, which isn't going to be super-cheap. Then I saw the article in this month's CP and looked at the KW option.

Now they look super shiny and nicely engineered and have clicky things on them. But what do we think? Any good as an upgrade?

And if I do go to a track for a day, could I just turn up the clicks for better (firmer) handling on track and then unclick them for a smoother more road-damped return journey?

I'd be putting on a new set of bilsteins all round as an alternative, but would appreciate any views on this product whilst thinking about committing €3k (before fitting costs) into this.

Many thanks

http://www.kwsuspensions.net/porsche_911_g-body
I found the article interesting but slightly lacking in that there was no indication of price. Looking on the KW website didn't make it easy to find a cost for the full package. I reckon I'll stick with Bilsteins when the time comes to change
3.2 Carrera
gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by gridgway »

Now there's a name from the past!
inaglasshouse wrote:Possibly worth a read:
http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/993/pss10/pss10.html
hot66

Post by hot66 »

inaglasshouse wrote:Hi Rich, hope all is well.
I have Bilstein PSS10s (so adjustable by means of clicky knobs) on my 993.
Very happy indeed with them, used at the softer end of their settings for A / B road use.
Although I did renew all the bushes and get the geo done by Center Gravity at the same time, so the resulting transformation to the car's behaviour might be mostly down to that, not the dampers, for all I know.
Cheers, Richard.
I have the same on my 964 and the pss10's do make a massive difference

But, with pss10's we're talking adjustable coil overs and damping / rebound

For the torsion bar cars it's slightly different . Not convinced you'll need adjustable for your requirements Richard, probo best with a tried and tested fact road set up . If you do want adjustable also look at ohlins
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
murph2309

Post by murph2309 »

Thanks everyone. I do know that when I replaced all the bushes, tie rods and dampers on my targa and had it set up at CG in t was massively better.

There is something fab about a stock set up when fresh and properly set up.

I'm such a radical.
1978 3.0 SC Coupe
sladey

Post by sladey »

I read the article and initially thought oh f*** I've just spent a fortune raising my spindles etc.

I was also frustrated by the lack of pricing in the article or website

On reflection I'm happy with what I've done - quite fancy the idea of adjustability though but these aren't the only game in town. Also I think I'm drawn to the adjustability thing for coolness (in my mind) as opposed to any real difference
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

sladey wrote:I read the article and initially thought oh f*** I've just spent a fortune raising my spindles etc.
Not sure that this kit gives you any adjustability on the ride height only the damping. Raising the spindles would still be desirable to maintain suspension geometry with lowered ride height.

Wonder why they didn't go the whole hog and bring out a kit with coilovers, perhaps they will.

Price is at the bottom of the article, €2699 inc vat
sladey

Post by sladey »

Thanks Jon - yes once I calmed down I realised you still need raised spindles to preserve the suspension arc in a lowered car.

There's no price on the article I have - I've got the iPad version and can't see it there at all. I just went back and checked assuming I must have been blind the first time - or have I missed it again?

They've gone to a lot of effort to replace the strut itself and I can't really see why, other than that this gives them access to an adjustability button at the bottom of the shock absorber - seems a lot of extra work to go to for that
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Over the years I've tried several ways in my 911 a hot Subaru and the full-race Lola.

The road/hillclimb 911 ('73T) was rebuilt with Koni simple adjustables all round in Boge M calliper struts. Settings was 1/2 way through the range. It was great, but Bob Watson had just done a full set-up before my first drive.
These gave way to non adjustable Bilsteins all round, valve spec by Bob and for A type caliper struts, Turbo 3 Litre rear bars. That moved the car on really well. After 20 years the fronts are still in there but one rear leaked and I put the Konis back on the rear, 1/2 way stetting, and it is great, but now just a weekend road car.

I never messed about with damping settings rain or shine, road or hillclimb.

The Impreza had AST system, 3 way damping, adjustable everything. They came for free from AST/Powerstation as an experiment and to promote them.
Getting the ride height was easy.
Getting the damper settings was shear murder.
I hired Curborough sprint couse privately and a friend, a real race car engineer helped sort the damping settings. That car was magic on road and hills.
I would never have sorted the dampers without the private track and the engineer.

The Lola has competition KONI aluminium dampers and I immediately took the car to Curb' with a different engineer and sorted the dampers out. The car is a class winner.

The point of all this is unless you can get the damping setting right the system will not be at it's best if all you want is max performance.
As a road car the system has to be compromised to suit all reasonable conditions.
The standard suspension will have been honed by some very very good people and tested to death.

The adjustable aftermarket systems demand you do this to get the best from the car and with the best will in the world you will not be as good as a Bilstein engineer!

If it is a road car simply fit stock new parts, if for track fun adjustable and tune it all as you go along. All part of the fun.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
murph2309

Post by murph2309 »

Thanks Graham, valuable advice. I think this shows quite how beyond me me this realm is....

Stock set up and CG for me! But really appreciate the help everyone.

R
1978 3.0 SC Coupe
hot66

Post by hot66 »

As a note ( not applicable to Richard but for the 964/993 boys ) ... pss10's have predetermined bump and rebound settings matched to the supplied spring rates... all fixed to each turn of the knob. ... you basically adjust between 1 & 10 depending on how stiff you want to go. Mine were set when fitted and I've not even bothered adjusting them since
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)