Porsche 911T unrestored reference vehicle (for finishes etc)

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

lamakdaddy
DDK Fanatic

Porsche 911T unrestored reference vehicle (for finishes etc)

Post by lamakdaddy »

I came across what I believe to be an original 1972 T with all its internal and external finishes intact. I think it can make an excellent reference car for restorers that are seeking to produce original finishes. May the internet gods forgive me if I am wrong and this is actually the world's worst concours restoration :)

1972 911 T (USA)
2014 Porsche Cayenne S
Lots of other toys ;)
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Porsche 911T unrestored reference vehicle (for finishes

Post by Darren65 »

Some very nice reference photos although it's worth noting that the car has been cleaned to death and it appears to have been 'dressed up' with evidence of the fuel tank, headers and A-bars etc having been painted in situ to tidy them up.

The black paint that would have originally been under the arches has also been cleaned away; the blue paint that can be seen in this area is overspray.

I've never seen a smugglers box lid in that finish either, maybe they forgot to fit it prior to paint if original?

Ultimately looks like a very nice original car. Thanks for sharing.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

My smugglers box is black like that ... Although I'm looking on an iPhone so are you talking about the actual finish ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
sladey

Post by sladey »

Darren65 wrote:Some very nice reference photos although it's worth noting that the car has been cleaned to death and it appears to have been 'dressed up' with evidence of the fuel tank, headers and A-bars etc having been painted in situ to tidy them up.

The black paint that would have originally been under the arches has also been cleaned away; the blue paint that can be seen in this area is overspray.
How do they clean one layer of paint completely off while leaving overspray in tact and undisturbed. Them's some special cleaners :lol:
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

sladey wrote:
Darren65 wrote:Some very nice reference photos although it's worth noting that the car has been cleaned to death and it appears to have been 'dressed up' with evidence of the fuel tank, headers and A-bars etc having been painted in situ to tidy them up.

How do they clean one layer of paint completely off while leaving overspray in tact and undisturbed. Them's some special cleaners :lol:
Thinners probably. The black paint under the arches would only ever have been a light coat to mask overspray etc and the surface would not have been keyed. You can see evidence of the black paint still there under the arches and obviously it's still there in the engine bay. The metallic blue will also have been covered with clearcoat.

There's some very good factory reference photos of 72 production that clearly show under arches and the engine bay in black.
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

hot66 wrote:My smugglers box is black like that ... Although I'm looking on an iPhone so are you talking about the actual finish ?
The colour James,

Every reference photo I have shows the smugglers box dusted with overspray....

And a late 73.5 (just)....

I'm not saying it's wrong, I guess there's the possibility it was missing from the car when it was painted, the tell tale would be inside the smugglers box and if there was any body colour in there which wouldn't have normally been the case?

With all this stuff there's always anomalies......check out the first photo above of the 700 mile S where they'd 'forgotten' to paint the chassis number in black. If anyone did that today they'd be told it was wrong! :roll:
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

For reference here's the floor of the yellow 73 above which also shows the underside unpainted....

Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Darren65 wrote:....I'm not saying it's wrong, I guess there's the possibility it was missing from the car when it was painted, the tell tale would be inside the smugglers box and if there was any body colour in there which wouldn't have normally been the case?......
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Can't be 100% , but I'm pretty sure the underside of my car hasn't been painted yet it's showing body colour all over

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

hot66 wrote:Can't be 100% , but I'm pretty sure the underside of my car hasn't been painted yet it's showing body colour all over......
...I wasn't there James so cannot be 100% certain either!......but then I can't see them doing it here.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVU3Ym8 ... playerhttp

When looking at this 1973 video of the cars being painted at the factory I guess it's possible that after painting the top of the car as shown in the video, they then took the shells off the jig they were mounted on, bolted them onto another jig, flipped them over and then repainted the underside.......after masking up the whole car of course to avoid ruining the finished body paintwork just completed.....after all some customers might look underneath!

I guess they just missed the underside of the low mileage, original first paint car that I posted photos of above! :wink:
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

Can you please show a better photo ( ie , that we can read the words ) of the six stickers on the engine slam pannel, I thought there should only be 5 ?

What year and market is the car ?

Thanks in advance.
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard
210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

Just for balance, in case anyone reading is interested, I agree with Darren on the smugglers lid but I agree with James on the underside.

Majordad, yes, 5 stickers on a 72

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/
lamakdaddy
DDK Fanatic

Post by lamakdaddy »

As the OP on this...i concur on the smugglers box lid. They usually have overspray over black paint. Perhaps this one was changed for some reason.

The floor is clearly correct and original. Ditto arches. What i do not know ia whether the factory or someone else added a thin layer of black paint over the arches. I had exactly the same on my 71 Mercedes Pagoda and removed it with white spirit..much in the same way as this car had its removed.
1972 911 T (USA)
2014 Porsche Cayenne S
Lots of other toys ;)
lamakdaddy
DDK Fanatic

Post by lamakdaddy »

Here is a 73 car for sale at Canepa Classics..(said to be original including original paint!)

1972 911 T (USA)
2014 Porsche Cayenne S
Lots of other toys ;)