Re: Sunny Harrogate.

Post by hot66 »

Nice backdate 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

With a hot-rod rake.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

KS wrote:With a hot-rod rake.
I think you'll find that's called the Norfolk Tractor Stance
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
mycar

Post by mycar »

How can you tell it's a backdate then ? It was super duper pristine and the wheels looked like they just arrived from Harvey Weidman but I presumed it was a tweeked 1969 car.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

clues, but not deffinate :

'B' reg no plate
16" wheels I think
exhaust looks like backdated and should exit on LHS
passenger durrent mirror ( back dates seem to favour mirrors on both doors )
mismatched sill trip to bumper trim
rear arches

Its a loverly looking car though
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Grindon
Married to the DDK

Post by Grindon »

or you could just go on the DVLA vehicle checker and enter the reg:

Vehicle details

Vehicle make PORSCHE
Date of first registration 01 August 1988
Year of manufacture 1988
Cylinder capacity (cc) 3164cc
CO₂Emissions Not available
Fuel type PETROL
Export marker No
Vehicle status Tax not due
Vehicle colour GREY
Vehicle type approval Not available
Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight Not available

It's a very nice car whatever.

Cheers,

Kevin
1962 356B S90 (1710cc, RHD)
1969 911T (with 73 2.4 911S motor, LHD)
1976 911 Targa 2.7 (fully rebuilt as 1988 3.3 Turbo Cabriolet (proper job), RHD)
1985 944 2.5 (early dash)
1988 924S (sold)
eaurouge
DDK Newbie

Post by eaurouge »

Well spotted all those that said it's a backdate. The car belongs to my brother, and is in fact a 1986 3.2 carrera recently backdated. The giveaways are the wide arches and modern wheeels. Work on the rear suspension still needs to be done, but it actually drives pretty well as is. We've had a few quick runs up to the moors and although not quite up to the 993, I do struggle to shake him off !!
Doesn't look quite right jacked up at the back for my liking, but he loves it.
If anyone ever fancies a run out in the harrogate area please let me know. We usually meet up at the weekend for a blast, take in some great roads and the odd pint enroute. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to bore you to death with the details on the car for those interested. I've heard it so many times I could recite it !
1996 993 carrera 4 - the full stop that ended a glorious chapter
mycar

Post by mycar »

Aha, you're the chaps I met at a Ripley show some years ago, then one evening we chatted outside The Crown. Six years ago if I remember, I had a blue '68 911 in those days.

How are you Mike, I'm glad your brother got a car, it really does look lovely, did he have it made to measure or did it come like that ?

Look forward to catching up with you, perhaps at Ripley again or PCGB usually have a show at Lotherton Hall later in the summer.

Regards, Mike.
eaurouge
DDK Newbie

Post by eaurouge »

Hello Mike and well remembered,

Yes we are indeed those very chaps.
What happened to the 911? I've admired it a couple of times at RPM whilst in for servicing. It really was a beauty. Looks like you you've replaced it with something as good if not better though ?

I bought a 993 four years ago, figuring the last of the aircooled was probably the best of the bunch as a usable, reliable drivers car, and when they were still affordable. I still absolutely love it and hope to keep it for a long time to come.

Having seen the values of older 911's go through the roof, Andy (brother) decided to go down the backdate route, so we found and bought a relatively decent but cheesy 3.2, which was transformd six months ago to it's current spec. Underneath everything is pure 1980's, whilst the interior and exterior are circa 1972. A purist will spot it immediately and probably dismiss it, as has been demonstrated here, and you could argue that it's a fake, but we like it, and the reaction and respect people give the car now is always favourable. He also drives it every day come rain or shine, and isn't too worried about leaving it anywhere. It's also bloody fast !!

Anyway, nice to hear from you mike, and let me know the details of the Ripley show and we'll try and get there. Not so keen on Lotherton (too many watercooled types)

Regards

Mike
1996 993 carrera 4 - the full stop that ended a glorious chapter
andysmith718
DDK Newbie

Post by andysmith718 »

Hi Mark, and all others who expressed an interest in the car. Brother Mike's already given the details, but just to explain the reasons for the decision to backdate. (Good attention to detail by the way for those who have commented). The car is an 88 3.2 Sport, but very scruffy, though structurally and mechanically very sound when I took it on. Previous 'cosmetic' restoration included a blow over paint job and some questionable vinyl graphics, but no attention to mechanical condition or interior which had suffered badly from water leaks etc. Mushrooms actually grew in the carpets.
Pre-purchase inspection by Revolution in Brighouse ( highly recommended for all Yorkshire folk with air cooled 911's) showed the car was in reasonable nick, though necessary repairs were made soon after purchase. Car was then run for 2 years prior to any further work to see what went wrong or fell off. (nothing did). So at this point do you restore to a specification that complies with American impact standards, or do you revert to what Porsche intended in the first place. Lightweight, pretty sportscar? (Purists look away now).
In summary, the car now looks beautiful, drives like a dream, and attracts attention wherever it goes. Left as it was it would probably
have died a death. Now back on the road, in regular use, and looking great. Where is the harm?
And, in reply to the Norfolk tractor comment (which I like), I take your point, but the car is parked on a very steep hill in the pic
so accentuates the issue. Car isn't jacked at the back, it's lowered at the front, but point taken and it's due in soon for remedial work!
And I saw Mike taking the pic from his 356, what a super car that is!!
Andy
Happy motoring.
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Hi Andy,

A great introduction and good for you for building the car you want to drive. Nothing wrong with a backdate and it looks awesome imo.

Hope you enjoy DDK :)

Cheers,