Hydraulic Handbrake Conversion

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

SiJ
DDK addict

Hydraulic Handbrake Conversion

Post by SiJ »

Hello All,

I've have a hunt around in the archives to see if there is anything on hydraulic handbrake kits to add to the existing side mechanical handbrake on my 914.

I want to add a hydraulic system, while trying to maintain the current mechanical and original handbrake.

Has anyone tried this conversion or something similar?
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... dbrake-kit

I've fitted the PMB 914-6GT rear calipers, but the handbrake is horrible. I'm trying one more time to get the adjustment, but if I don't get any joy, I want to put a hydraulic parallel system on to solve and get it through the MOT etc.

Cheers as always

Si
'72 914-GT Conv 2.7 RS
'85 930 Turbo
Lancia Delta Integrale Evo 1
tp_reading
DDK above all

Re: Hydraulic Handbrake Conversion

Post by tp_reading »

Hi, my American import 914-6 had an hydraulic e brake, and the mot station wouldn't pass it. I've now got this center handbrake lever connected to my PMB calipers. I'm not too happy that it is exactly right, and does need a bit more work, but does do the trick !

Tony Parker
968 Coupe

In the past;
1 x 914/6 GTR
1 x 987
4 x 968's of various hues
1 x 996
1 x 986
1 x 944
moggy
DDK rules my life!

Post by moggy »

SiJ wrote:Hello All,

I've have a hunt around in the archives to see if there is anything on hydraulic handbrake kits to add to the existing side mechanical handbrake on my 914.

I want to add a hydraulic system, while trying to maintain the current mechanical and original handbrake.

Has anyone tried this conversion or something similar?
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... dbrake-kit

I've fitted the PMB 914-6GT rear calipers, but the handbrake is horrible. I'm trying one more time to get the adjustment, but if I don't get any joy, I want to put a hydraulic parallel system on to solve and get it through the MOT etc.

Cheers as always

Si
This is the one I've got in my car:

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... e-assembly

Works a treat since I put it in about 7yrs back. Simple install too. Apart from mounting the thing all I had to was cut the brake pipe at the appropriate place, flare it, then I think I made a fresh bit of brake pipe then that went from the handbrake slave cylinder to the bias valve thingy on the external of the firewall. A simple afternoons works for the average DIY'er :)
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

If you want a hydraulic hand brake that will pass the MOT, it has to be a completely separate system from the foot brake system, even down to seperate calipers i.e. Two per wheel

Hence, you really need to retain the std cable system and get it to work sufficiently to pass the MoT.

You can fit a hydraulic system as Moggy suggests above to work in line with the foot brake system, but it's only for a bit of fun in a car park :)
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers