reverse-able trailers

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

reverse-able trailers

Post by gridgway »

I've just found that the new to me but quite old BJ trailer won't be reversed up my drive when loaded. There is an incline so it just puts the brakes on.

Is it likely that it is too old for clever brakes that allow reversing? Or that the clever brakes are broken?

Cheers
Graham
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: reverse-able trailers

Post by jwhillracer »

Give BJ the chassis number and they will tell you. It would have to be really old not to have auto-reverse.

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
Bewildebeest
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Bewildebeest »

Didn't the old style trailers have a flip over collar thingy just behind the hitch which stopped the brakes coming on ?
Used to be a right PITA when you were doing a 3 (or more !) pointer.
jamie
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jamie »

Should be a lock-off lever or a flippy sleeve thing to stop this happening.
'68 912
Adrian.Tyldesley
DDK Fanatic

Post by Adrian.Tyldesley »

Over-adjusted brakes or more likely a weak/damaged damper in the hitch head will cause this.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I think the trailer is pretty old. BJ had no record of the chassis number when I got some bits recently.

There is no mechanism to stop the drawbar from being pushed back, but I could make one.

The damper could well be very weak, although normal braking is smooth which would indicate it's doing its job.

I'll contact BJ and see what they say.

Graham
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

My 20+ year old Bateson had auto reverse but you needed to give it a bit of a shove, ie. some wellie, as you reversed to get the brakes to go off. Once released it rolled freely. BUT beware, this type had a snag: The handbrake would auto reverse if the trailer was unhitched and the rear of the trailer was facing down hill. Be very careful, it was only thanks to the quick thinking Joe Public who helped swing mine round that i very narrowly avoided losing trailer and Wasp over the bank and down the gulley between the paddock and the side of the scrutineering bay at Cadwell! Ordered a Woodford when i got home and will definitely live longer as a result!
W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

pretty sure there's no auto reverse on mine but thanks for the warning. Worked out how to make a locking collar to flip over.

Graham