O/T: surface rust treatment?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

I am in the first blows of doing the bodywork on my 1964 Lambretta, matching numbers and original paint.

The thin side panels have what some call condensation rust spots, the leg shields have heavy surface rust, some generated by galvanic corrosion of steel and die cat zinc or aluminium, some by water.

Stripping the paint by blasting is a worry as these parts are made very light, at a guess 18swg, maybe 22 swg.
Paint can be removed by nitromores, but it is how to 'kill' the surface rust before priming/colour (cellulose).
The underside of these panels get a lot of grief so they can be treated in a different way to protect the surfaces.

I would appreciate any suggestions how to remove the rust spots.

Thanks,
Graham.

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Loz
Married to the DDK

Re: O/T: surface rust treatment?

Post by Loz »

The panels look to be in good condition going by your photos, so a light sandblast would be ideal to remove the surface rust without damaging your metal.

Hth

:)
1970 911t Coupe 2626

"I've started so I'll finish"
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Do these companies know the meaning of light though?
New ones are £300 the pair but I must keep these originals.
I'll ask around tomorrow at Redditch Blasting.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
haasad
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by haasad »

I'm sure in the "good old days" stripping was by chemical means or sanding . Rust spots were treated with a phosphate wash neutralised with water then dried and etch primed.

Bet you could clean the paint off with non destructive nitromoors, sand then use "kurust" then etch prime then fill prime . Very cheap traditional and all from rattle cans. Its a scooter, the last thing we know you painted was a 911 and by all accounts that was fine...don't believe the hype....

Sorry , 4 glasses of red...
ddk member# 1527
Austin Healey 100/6, 1957 Fast Road ( now sold)
75 2.7 S backdated to "r" and very light (now sold).
Adria Camper
Buddy McCrae kneeboard.
Friar Tuck kneeboard.
Lots of Bicycles.
Bewildebeest
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Bewildebeest »

911hillclimber wrote: Paint can be removed by nitromors[/img]
Don't know if you've used Nitromors lately but it is now crap i.e. it ain't what it used to be. It's now water based (dunno why, H&S or EU rules or something) and you have to work far harder for much less effect.

Apparently trade outlets are still allowed to sell more effective products 'cos the trade know what they are doing. :dontknow: but we Joe Publics aren't to be trusted.
redrobin911
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by redrobin911 »

Fertan is a highly respected rust treatment - used to stop rust on steel in the marine industry. Available at ships chandlers also.
65 911 FIA race car
66 911 RHD restoration
67 911S LHD
74 911 Carrera 2.7 US Spec
79 Aistream Excella 28 MH
97 Bimota Vdue
14 KTM 690R Duke
83 RD350 YPVS
08 Ducati M900
00 Ducati 996SPS
944 T, 3.2 RSR, GT3 - SOLD
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Being Old Skool I am very familiar with /Andy's method and still have a very solid jar of Kurust on the Old Skool Shelf. Black after application and neutralised I seem to remember with White Spirit/turps substitute.

I indeed used it on my cellulose re-paint on my 911 in 1989 and many projects before, but these old remedies are not the same today, just try WD40!
However the old chemistry was sound.

I'll have a look through the Frost Catalogue too, must be a Yankie solution on a page there!

These panels are very thin, so some may use crushed walnut shells etc, but it needs something sharp to abrade the rust out, or a chemical 'conversion'.

As an aside, restoring a Lambretta is quite refreshing financially. :cyclopsani:

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

Wait til you get to the engine...
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

I would strip the paint by chemical means, and then deal with the rust with some of Bilt Hamber's products, their DeoxC gel, and dip have the same effect as blasting, but just disolve away all the corrosion, leaving shiny metal underneath. I used the gel product on the battery tray area on my TR6, spreading the gel in a thick layer, then covering it with cling film to prevent evaporation, leaving overnight, then agitating the next day with a brush, and leaving it covered again. In a few days, I had bright shiny metal to brush paint with etch primer. It was still sound and blemish free 10 years later when I sold the car.
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
Sam

Post by Sam »

Frosts do so something called Metal Ready, which works fine. I'm forever de rusting various things in my life with it.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Excellent!
Thank you all.
As to the engine, just finished it.

Amazing what a broken ring will do to a 2 stroke.... :blackeye:

New head, barrel, piston and shards of steel embedded in the lower crank case body. Other than that not too bad!
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

My neighbour likes his scooters but had endless engine trouble.

He recently found a new engine bloke & sent him an engine. The boy phoned and said he would send back all the parts that were crap. He sent back most of the engine :) including a load of new bits from the previous rebuild.
He said you can use original parts which are very old, Italian & not that well made... Or new Indian parts which are new & even less well made. The engine man uses German made parts instead but they unsurprisingly cost a lot more.

Same story different badge :)
Nige

Post by Nige »

Anything that is rusty, that needs treating and painting I use products available from here.

http://www.rust.co.uk/
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

POR15
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
cluskera
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by cluskera »

redrobin911 wrote:Fertan is a highly respected rust treatment - used to stop rust on steel in the marine industry. Available at ships chandlers also.
+1

If you put this in a fertan wash twice and follow the instructions 100% (which are almost counterintuitive because surface has to be dampened), and then epoxy 421 primer, it'll never rust again in your lifetime.

Just make sure you protect your eyes. Or they ll never work again in your lifetime.
1996 993 C4
1983 SC