Shipping a car from UK to California

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

MattFu
DDK Fanatic

Shipping a car from UK to California

Post by MattFu »

OK, so I know it's normally the other way round, but I am being seconded to the LA office for 3 years and would rather like to take the car with me. Anyone got any experience of shipping over to the states. Recommendations on shipping companies and what's involved in terms of taxes, vehicle requirements etc?

Is this madness - should I just be looking to buy another one when I get out there?
jackstowers
DDK rules my life!

Re: Shipping a car from UK to California

Post by jackstowers »

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to buy another to me! With about a grand in the pot that you'd 'save' by not shipping one out there
David

1973 914 zambezi green
1972 911T (lhd 71E engine)sadly sold
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

I shipped my Beetle to SoCal for a series of events three or four years ago. REAL hassle, to be honest, as the (then) new 'paperless' import system in operation in the USA didn't have any provision for temporary imports. Getting the car there and back cost me around £3500 and untold anguish while waiting for the car to be released from US customs.

The biggest problem you will have is getting insurance unless you're a US national or at least hold a US driver's licence (which is worth getting). A lack of social security number doesn't make it any easier either.

However, it is possible, so don't let me put you off! :lol:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Yes insurance nearly impossible without a us licence but you should be able to sit a simple test to get your license. I might be tempted to get over there first and then think about it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
DanG
Married to the DDK

Post by DanG »

Geico offer insurance for Brits abroad for 3 months.

Beyond that you'll need a social security number before you can take your test (theory only, although depends on state) and then a 2 year license, which needs renewing....

The DMV is a menace. I spent over 10 hours (3 trips) there before they would give me my license - so go prepared.

(Test is simple!) :)
DDK Member #0429
1970 911T
MattFu
DDK Fanatic

Post by MattFu »

Thanks everyone. I hadn't even thought about insurance. Sounds like I'll need a US license anyway as I'm there for 3 years.