Collected the car from docks

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Dave Lane
DDK addict

Collected the car from docks

Post by Dave Lane »

Hi Guys, well seems like forever I have been waiting for this time to pick my 356B from Felixstowe. Having bought it on Pics only and some 51 years of history was pleasantly surprised when the customs worker drove it out the warehouse ,as I fully expected that 6 volt battery was going to be flat, so a good start seeing as it had not been started for 2months. Body and paint was as good as the pics showed and driving it the short distance to the transporter and up the ramps the underside was very solid. Interior was also very good but the wiring needs some attention in various places and starter is suspect , so will be coming off and checked out soon. Drove it upto the MOT garage where they took starter off and is presently with auto electrician . Its passed the Mot and now awaiting the return of the starter. Needs 4 new tyres where there starting to crack with age and the Sun. will hopefully collect it on Wednesday can then get on with the Regestration
Arriving home and in my garage at last

One thing I will say to anyone who is shipping a car from the states is to take out the insurance as I was pleased I had done so. I was told when we arrived to collect it that the 356 had been damaged it transit in the container. Lucky enough one of the guys who unloaded the container took loads of pics and e mailed them onto me which I have in turn sent them onto the Insurers in the US.
Pictures to follow on here shortly.
Dave
DDK Member [732]
LHD 62 356B T6 S90

LHD 60 15window Delux [sold]
LHD 62 splitscreen Crewcab [sold]
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: Collected the car from docks

Post by Bootsy »

Hope the damage isn't too bad, looks lovely
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Dave,

Well worth the wait your car looks great. And for it to start after 2 months when the guy who got it going did not probably know the 356 procedure well I am amazed! I think you are going to enjoy that car.

Hope the damage was light but a good point about insurance and photos to prove taken before yolu actually drove it home.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
Dave Lane
DDK addict

Post by Dave Lane »

roy mawbey wrote:Dave,

Well worth the wait your car looks great. And for it to start after 2 months when the guy who got it going did not probably know the 356 procedure well I am amazed! I think you are going to enjoy that car.

Hope the damage was light but a good point about insurance and photos to prove taken before yolu actually drove it home.

Roy
Thank Bootsy and Roy. I think the guy who started the car was used to starting porsches and 356s as it was his job to get them
into and out of the Warehouse and there was several in there awaiting collection.

Mine was in a shared container and they try to get as many cars as they can into them.you will see in the Pics that they build
like wooden frames around the cars and when they have a low headroom car like the 356s the put one above.at an angle and in my case it was a very rusty old Merc .they had sheeted my car up ,so it wouldn't have oil and muck on the roof from the car above but because that car was rotten the exhaust fell down at one end and had been constantly rubbing on the middle of my roof and wearing the paint away. It looks worse in the pics than what it is but will be getting a estimate in the next day or two. Was lucky it just missed the windscreen,was just under the centre ,that will need blending in though. Look at the last pic and you can see the exhaust hanging down.on the car above.
Last edited by Dave Lane on Tue May 31, 2016 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
DDK Member [732]
LHD 62 356B T6 S90

roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Dave,

Do you know if the yellow is a factory colour? Easier to get matched or nearly so, if its a known colour. I wonder how pleased the Merc owner was when he came to collect his car?

With care I am sure the roof will look just fine.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Glad you have got it! I didn't take out insurance but lucky you did
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Glad you have got it! I didn't take out insurance but lucky you did
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Dave Lane
DDK addict

Post by Dave Lane »

roy mawbey wrote:Dave,

Do you know if the yellow is a factory colour? Easier to get matched or nearly so, if its a known colour. I wonder how pleased the Merc owner was when he came to collect his car?

With care I am sure the roof will look just fine.

Roy
Thanks Roy,yes it is the og color and is Champagne Yellow and code no 747 so shouldn't be a problem Roy.
I think the owner of the old merc bought it for scrap :lol:
Dave
DDK Member [732]
LHD 62 356B T6 S90

Dave Lane
DDK addict

Post by Dave Lane »

neilbardsley wrote:Glad you have got it! I didn't take out insurance but lucky you did
Hi Neil,yea someone told me I should get it as they have had several friends to have had damage. did you have a shared container or of your own container, I think when theres damage most of them are in a shared as its cheaper :wink:
Dave
DDK Member [732]
LHD 62 356B T6 S90

mycar

Post by mycar »

Looks lovely Dave, must be an emotional rollercoaster bringing a car over like this, congratulations on making it work.
Dave Lane wrote: Image
Regards, Mike.
vwgillybilly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by vwgillybilly »

Looks good Dave!

Keep us posted!

Gill.
1959 356A UK RHD AFN no. 400

1962 Porsche - Diesel Junior 109
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Dave Champagne fades badly so it will probably be a question of the painter having to match what you have, rather than using the Glasurit formula

Get the car Polished first and then worry about the roof - there may be other areas that you might also want to deal with
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
TLC356
DDK Fanatic

Post by TLC356 »

I would insist on a full re-spray since it will be impossible to get a good match. I was once rear ended (while stopped) and the other insurance company refused to do a full re-spray and I was forced to live with a two tone 356 for more than ten years-but she's back to a beautiful one tone now. Tom
356 Registry member #15,
'65 C Cab., '55 Pre-A coupe
Dave Lane
DDK addict

Post by Dave Lane »

mycar wrote:Looks lovely Dave, must be an emotional rollercoaster bringing a car over like this, congratulations on making it work.Regards, Mike.
Dave Lane wrote: Thanks Mike Its not really that bad, but glad its home now :wink:
vwgillybilly wrote:
Looks good Dave!
Keep us posted!
Gill.
Dave Lane wrote: Will do thanks Gill
Dave
DDK Member [732]
LHD 62 356B T6 S90

Dave Lane
DDK addict

Post by Dave Lane »

Mike Smith wrote:Dave Champagne fades badly so it will probably be a question of the painter having to match what you have, rather than using the Glasurit formula

Get the car Polished first and then worry about the roof - there may be other areas that you might also want to deal with
Hi Mike ,yes I agree just before he starts I will do the polishing . and his going to do a few other bits in the with price, just waiting for the his quotation to come through anytime now and im e mailing it straight of to the US shippers. thanks Dave
Dave
DDK Member [732]
LHD 62 356B T6 S90