Driving to the Alps this winter x tyres?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

aircool
Married to the DDK

Driving to the Alps this winter x tyres?

Post by aircool »

We are planning on driving to the French Alps next February, up to a ski resort at around 1800m. And my thoughts have moved on to whether we need / should fit winter tyres. Have quite happily used hire cars before in the alps, only fitting snow chains when necessary (which hasn't actually been that often) which has been effective so far......

We have a 5 Series BMW - not taking the 356! - with dreaded run flat tyres, which would be the car used.

Would putting winter tyres (on different wheels presumably) affect the insurance and possibly mess up the low tyre pressure sensor?

Presumably you do not fit snow chains over winter tyres?

Can snow chains replace the need for winter tyres in the alps?

Many questions for which I would appreciate some thoughts and possibly answers.

Yours

Aircool. :shock:
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Driving to the Alps this winter x tyres?

Post by Nick Moss »

I fit Hankook Icept winter tyres every winter to 911 and daily driver, they are cheap and virtually unstoppable. It may be worth contacting BMW for advice, my brother got a set of winter wheels and tyres for his wife's Mini for around £500 (IIRC) a couple of years ago, they store your summer kit as well. It may be a requirement to fit chains in France, try the AA for info.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
jury
I need to get out more!

Post by jury »

A friend of mine in the UK has a 5 series which he fitted Winter tyres and wheels last year, I think he got them from Ebay for less than 500 quid. Also I know that Mike Moore fitted them to his Alpina. Contact BMW, or your local fitter regarding fitting and tech issues. It is a legal requirement to have them fitted in Germany from October to Easter O to O, but not in France....though they would be a great benefit in the Alps.

If the conditions get really bad then you would still need to fit chains, but if you stick to the main / travelled roads you should be ok.

As Nick says, it would be worth looking at the AA etc for full info

Chris
# 465

1967 912 Polo Red
1968 912/11 RAL 7001 ' MOD ROD '
1990 964 C2 Velvet Red
1991 VW Vanagon GL (SOLD - Vanagone)
2017 Coleman CT200U

“It’s not where you’re from, it's where you’re at”
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

aircool wrote:Would putting winter tyres (on different wheels presumably) affect the insurance
Some insurance companies will try to charge an 'admin fee' if you tell them about fitting them. Which is a nonsense as they're not a modification.
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Agree with all the above. You can fit chains over winter tyres, but lets be honest if you need to do that it's time to find a different route!

Most problems with chains and modern car come from wheel arch clearance and many manufacturers will specify a smaller 'winter wheel' for this purpose.
Bertroex
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Bertroex »

I have been using winter tyres on my DD from November until April since 1995 and never looked back. Even in the UK, the cars felt a lot more surefooted below temperatures of 7degrees Celsius. I live rurally now and there is no gritting until about 3 miles from the house, so it has been priceless!

I run it on a different set of rims and over two years, the cost even themselves out switching between summers and winter tyres. For the alloy and tyre combo to be able to have a chain over them, you need to have appropriate sizes: Often it means you have to go to an alloy an inch lower (from 18 to 17 e.g.) and drop a width at the back (say 255 to 235 or even 225)- your manufacturer or owners manual will say more.
Having said that, when I priced up a 530D with winter tyres and alloys at the dealers, they guys looked at me as if I was from a different planet.

I would source a set of OEM alloys on Ebay (often sold because they are not bling enuf, innit) so your TPS works, and then purchase a set of winters from tyre suppliers like Camskill or http://www.mytyres.co.uk or others.

Come April, you switch over and bob's your uncle. As with regards to the admin fee: I was with direct line and challenged them on it and they came back to me stating that as it was OEM wheels and tyre combo's approved by the manufacturer, it was not deemed a modification.

Take care,

Bert
-1968 912 SWB Targa LHD
-1976 911 Carrera 3.o Targa RHD
-1983 944 190bhp (augment automotive enhanced) RHD
-1979 280SLC manual LHD, 1989 500SL, 1997 SL500, 1989 Jag XJ-s 3.6, old BMW’s
-Ex 1976 911 2.7 Targa, 1979 911 SC, 1983 930,1993 964 C4 Jubi etc
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

aircool wrote:We are planning on driving to the French Alps next February, up to a ski resort at around 1800m. And my thoughts have moved on to whether we need / should fit winter tyres. Have quite happily used hire cars before in the alps, only fitting snow chains when necessary (which hasn't actually been that often) which has been effective so far......

We have a 5 Series BMW - not taking the 356! - with dreaded run flat tyres, which would be the car used.

Would putting winter tyres (on different wheels presumably) affect the insurance and possibly mess up the low tyre pressure sensor?
Some insurance companies used to use it as an excuse to charge a fee but last year the industry body recommended that they stop this. As long as the sizes are to manufacturer spec (check door pillar), you shouldn't be charged. The tyres shouldn't effect the pressure sensor which works by detecting differences in rolling diameter between tyres.
Presumably you do not fit snow chains over winter tyres?
If the snow is very heavy, you can fit chains over winters and as they are smaller, you should have enough arch clearance. You can manage without chains even in very snowy conditions with winters unless the snow is very bad.
Can snow chains replace the need for winter tyres in the alps?
Winter tyres make a big difference to grip, including on snowless icy roads (when snow chains are useless).

You can order steel wheels and winter tyre sets from mytyres.co.uk for circa £100 a corner (depending on sizes & brand).

With winters, on snow, the steering is very light and loose but the car still goes where you point it and stops too. You wonder why everybody else (in the uk) is going so slowly.
left4dead

Post by left4dead »

I did exactly as Bert suggests last winter; bought an identical set of BMW alloys on EBay (£120 for five) and fitted identical profile winter tyres. Even though the car's an auto - which I normally find a nightmare in snow - not once did I have an issue. Virgin snow on single lane roads, uphill & downhill, couldn't get the thing stuck no matter what. Sold the Landy this summer as was totally redundant.
Steve

1 x '67S, 3 x 2.4S all RHD

A privilege & pleasure to have owned them all.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

for anyone interested , I'm about to sell a set of 4 lightly used AVON ICE TOURING ST 225/45R17 . £180 collected
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
misteralz
DDK forever

Post by misteralz »

They are brilliant winter tyres. Only got stuck with those on my old S3 when the depth of snow got over 10".
911SE
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 911SE »

Wife's got a 5 series too (auto) running some 245/45-18 Dunlop RFT's (sorry I don't remember the model) and we never felt the need of chains while away skiing in the alps. eBay.de is full of original winter wheels for the 5 series, the shipping to UK might be a killer though.

Speaking about winter tires, I've got some studded Hakkapilittas in 145/70-10 waiting to go on my old mini for some ice driving back home in Sweden this upcoming winter :evil:
Magnus
1971 911 2.2T
1995 993
shoestring7
DDK rules my life!

Post by shoestring7 »

I'm another one; I've been using Continental winter tyres on my Golf Gti daily driver for three winters, and if I needed to keep mobile in poor weather wouldn't do anything else. They got me home from the Surrey Hills safely one snowy day of road chaos, and on a white Boxing day it seemed to be just my car and Range Rovers on the roads in West Sussex. I bought a set of the correct (handbook specified) 16" steel wheels from my friendly local VAG dealer and bought the tyres from QuickFit.

A noticeable drop in high speed straight line stability and the hassle of storing the 'spare' set of wheels are the only downside. Well, other than getting tooted and flashed as I breeze bye terrified road users doing 15mph on snowy roads.....

C>
968C/968CS/'92 964C4/944t/924S Trackday shed/Cayman/964C2#2/'73 hotrod (gone)
Mini JCW buzzbox
Audi A2 Piech edition
BMW R1250GSA

http://thecarlistblog.blogspot.co.uk/
Andy102
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Andy102 »

I've drove a lot in that area in a 3 series and with out winter tyres forget it. After having to leave the car because it had zero traction, I had winters put on and the different was night and day.

Currently run an Audi S4 with Michelin Alpin PA4, a great tyre.
Porsche 996 GT3 MK2 - BMW 1M
Gone but not forgotten - 944 - 3.2 Carrera - 964 Carrera 4 - 996 Carrera 2
sisu
DDK forever

Post by sisu »

Bertroex wrote:I have been using winter tyres on my DD from November until April since 1995 and never looked back. Even in the UK, the cars felt a lot more surefooted below temperatures of 7degrees Celsius. I live rurally now and there is no gritting until about 3 miles from the house, so it has been priceless!

I run it on a different set of rims and over two years, the cost even themselves out switching between summers and winter tyres. For the alloy and tyre combo to be able to have a chain over them, you need to have appropriate sizes: Often it means you have to go to an alloy an inch lower (from 18 to 17 e.g.) and drop a width at the back (say 255 to 235 or even 225)- your manufacturer or owners manual will say more.
Having said that, when I priced up a 530D with winter tyres and alloys at the dealers, they guys looked at me as if I was from a different planet.

I would source a set of OEM alloys on Ebay (often sold because they are not bling enuf, innit) so your TPS works, and then purchase a set of winters from tyre suppliers like Camskill or http://www.mytyres.co.uk or others.

Come April, you switch over and bob's your uncle. As with regards to the admin fee: I was with direct line and challenged them on it and they came back to me stating that as it was OEM wheels and tyre combo's approved by the manufacturer, it was not deemed a modification.

Take care,

Bert
Totally agree with Bert, get the right tool for the job. Summer tyres are just that - they only work down to 5 deg C. Snow chains only really work in wet (near freezing) deep snow where you need to paddle your way out. If the road has been cleared at some point during winter then there will be compacted snow/ice which is where you need winter tyres as the hairline groves in the tread grip the ice. Studs are needed for ice or cold conditions -10 or colder. But the times you will need the extremes of these - chains/studs are rare.
Scene tax
tanick
I luv DDK!

Post by tanick »

sisu wrote:
Totally agree with Bert, get the right tool for the job.
:wink:

Verbier 2012. Going nowhere without chains.