O/T Smart TV

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

O/T Smart TV

Post by Mick Cliff »

Anyone got any experience of Android 4.2 Mini PC TV Box Stick MK808B.... or similar?
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
mullerice
DDK slapper chatter

Re: O/T Smart TV

Post by mullerice »

Hi Mick,

I've got a Tronsmart mk908 (RK3188) Android stick, which I bought from eBay.

I'm quite pleased with it so far (had it about a month). I use it for basic web browsing on the TV, and also play some emulated games - NES, SNES etc. and have managed to pair my PS3 controller to it.

It's still quite early for these devices in terms of their maturity, so support is sketchy, but it does what I need it to.

It was ~£70 delivered.

What do you think you'll use yours for? I may be able to provide some better feedback...

Cheers,
Adam
Current: 2002 996 C4S (2016-)
Sold: 1967 912 (2004-2013)
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

mullerice wrote:What do you think you'll use yours for?....
That's a bloody good question Adam!
Answer 1 - I'm currently refurbishing my house and thought I'd like Freesat in a few other rooms (just in the lounge at the mo). It was whilst looking for the 'bits' to do this that I fell across the Android sticks and they could be a sensible way of doing this, with added benefits.
Answer 2 - Did you know that you cannot get refunds for TV licences? I spend ~6 months each year living in the Philippines so having to pay for a 12 month licence for 6 months use sticks in the craw (sometimes it's hard being a tight Yorkshireman :lol: ). I very rarely watch TV as it is broadcast so if I use, for example, BBC iPlayer exclusively then, as I understand it, I will not need to have a TV licence. My simple way of cocking a snook at the System. I would be able to watch what I want, when it is convenient for me, albeit after the event.

The further benefits of the Smart stick - access to the Internet - appeals too.

Back to the initial question - it's a bit like asking what would you use an iPad for, when they first came out? I didn't think I needed one, but now I do have one I find it indispensable (mainly for checking stock at my local Screwfix 'on the hoof')!
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
sladey
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

O/T Smart TV

Post by sladey »

I subscribed to Netflix a few months ago and scrapped my sky movies subscription at the same (saving £10 a month). Since getting Netflix I've more or less stopped watching normal telly

I've become addicted to breaking bad (superb series)

You can watch it on your pc, or ipad. I also have Apple TV and you can watch Netflix on that too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
mullerice
DDK slapper chatter

Post by mullerice »

I've got iPlayer installed on mine and it works really well. It's connected wirelessly, so I think I'd probably get even better results over a wired connection (but I'd need to get a ethernet adapter for it and start running cables, which at this point seems unnecessary.

As you've probably seen, there are loads of these devices appearing, but have a look at some reviews. The biggest complaints from device to device seem to be around lack of signal strength for wireless connectivity, but I've not had any issues. There have also been problems with support around bluetooth - the version of firmware mine is running has issues connecting to a bluetooth keyboard/mouse, but I understand the new version has resolved this; I've just not got round to updating it yet :)

Hope that helps Mick

Cheers!
Current: 2002 996 C4S (2016-)
Sold: 1967 912 (2004-2013)