Twin plugged.

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Twin plugged.

Post by mycar »

This car appeared in Octane magazine back in September 2012. The spec given below the photograph is as standard for a B Super, 60bhp, 81 lb/ft... But... this engine is blatantly not standard, with twin coils and a busy looking dizzy cap.

Does anybody know more about this car or twin plugging a 356 engine ?

Regards, Mike.
mycar

Re: Twin plugged.

Post by mycar »

Bigger picture... photobucket isn't what it used to be.

Mike.
Nige

Post by Nige »

Is that not a Carrera engine then?
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

No, it's not a Carrera (or a Factory twin-plug engine) - didn't see the article but I think it's an Andry Prill engine.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
mycar

Post by mycar »

The article is about topless sports cars, namely this 356, an MGA and a Giulietta. Nowhere is there any mention of this Porsche being anything other than a standard B 1600S. bit misleading really.

Reading the article again, the car is credited to Taylor and Crawley but it's long since left their stock list.

(They do however show some wonderful vehicles, including the Silver TR, now sold. http://www.taylorandcrawley.com/current-stock/all/ )
mycar

Post by mycar »

This is the Carrera engine Nige, with the donut shaped fan cowl...

Image[/URL]

(Must get round to tidying my garage up.)

Mike.
Nige

Post by Nige »

Yes of course :roll:, my mind isn't functioning correctly today.
mycar

Post by mycar »

I knew you knew. :)

Sorry you're not feeling yourself.

Mike.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Can I ask a stupid twin spark question?

Most/all twin spark systems I've seen in photos have double the number of spark plugs. Somewhat given away in the name you would probably quickly add. Seeing that the idea is that you have another plug in the head so that more of the fuel gets used. Has anybody just twin sparked the same plug. I was just think that you keep the distributor twin spark distributor but have the two leads going into a single lead and single plug? Therefore you get the same timing as a normal twin spark but from 1 plug so no need to remachine the heads. The idea being that the second spark uses an fuel not used in the first? Maybe this idea is complete rubbish because you need the plugs in different places?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
KS

Post by KS »

neilbardsley wrote:Maybe this idea is complete rubbish because you need the plugs in different places?
Answered! :lol:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

Hi Neil

The reason you twin plug heads is this.

The two sparks are at the same time not staggered.

As you increase the compression ration the dome of the piston becomes more pronounced, ie higher the compression bigger the piston dome. In our 911 engines the spark plug is positioned to one side of the combustion chamber. When the piston is at top dead centre the dome effectively splits the combustion chamber in two and the flame struggles to propagate across the top of the dome with only one spark plug, the second plug is to ignite the other side of the dome and this provides a better, fuller burn.

Hope that helps.
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

johnM wrote:Hi Neil

The reason you twin plug heads is this.

The two sparks are at the same time not staggered.

As you increase the compression ration the dome of the piston becomes more pronounced, ie higher the compression bigger the piston dome. In our 911 engines the spark plug is positioned to one side of the combustion chamber. When the piston is at top dead centre the dome effectively splits the combustion chamber in two and the flame struggles to propagate across the top of the dome with only one spark plug, the second plug is to ignite the other side of the dome and this provides a better, fuller burn.

Hope that helps.
Thank you that helps a lot but why does the dome of the piston become more pronunced as the the compression ratio increase? I thought that this was about having less spaces in the cylinder at TDC so why does the shape of the of the piston change?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

The cylinder head/combustion chamber is dished so the larger the dome on the piston the more space it takes up in the cylinder head and higher the compression ratio.

HTH
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

If you ignore the fact the exhaust valve has fallen off you can see the dish in the head and the offset spark plug.

John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
Nige

Post by Nige »

Basically having two plugs aids even ignition of the fuel mixture, ensuring maximum energy (biggest bang) is extracted from it within the combustion chamber.

A bit like lighting a piece of paper at both ends, it will burn much quicker than just lighting one end.