Cologne hotel & Porsche Museum advice

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Boxerfan
DDK above all

Cologne hotel & Porsche Museum advice

Post by Boxerfan »

Hi All,
A mate and I are making the trip down to Stuttgart in old 911s at the end of this month. For those that have made a similar trip before, I have a couple of questions –

We’re looking to stay overnight in Cologne en route. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, cheap-ish hotel with secure parking near to the old city centre? We’ll be arriving at 10-ish in the evening & leaving the next morning, so just need somewhere clean, with a safe place to leave the cars while we get re-fuelled, a couple of beers and some kip.

We’re planning a trip to the Porsche Museum. This is probably an un-answerable question, but what’s a reasonable time to allow for a trip round? There will be no women-folk or kids, so the usual external limits won’t apply!

Lastly, is there any chance of a couple of pre-73 drivers blagging a look round Werk 1? This is the longest shot of all, but I just wondered if anyone had had any success in that regard?

I’ve spotted that you have a POB mission over there later in the year which would have been uber-cool to join, but due to external influences we have to go when we do. I’m sure it will be a hoot!

Thanks for any help you can give us.

Cheers, Jon.
DDK # 0362
'72 TE - Chilled by PorscheAir!
Helen
Events Organiser

Re: Cologne hotel & Porsche Museum advice

Post by Helen »

If you want a factory tour while there then you need to book in advance. Phone lines are manned by english speaking staff.

Didn't realise this when we went so we missed out. :(

We happily spent half a day at the museum.
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

Stayed at the Pullman for a night last September

A bit of a splurge as it was a wedding anniversary but nice hotel and a short walk to town and a most excellent sushi-bar nearby
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
tanick
I luv DDK!

Post by tanick »

I stayed at the Best Western Premier Park Consul a few years ago. Not particularly central but cheap, nice and if I remember rightly they had underground parking but I was in my Land Rover so was too high to test it out.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

At the museum, it is IMHO definitely worth booking a tour guide. The guides info really does add to the museum.

Factory tours book up a long way in advance. Email the museum for more info
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Boxerfan
DDK above all

Post by Boxerfan »

Thanks for the tips so far. We've booked at the snappily-titled Mauritius - Komforthotel in der Altstadt; pretty well placed, a good price & an underground car park for €12 a day.

Cheers, Jon
DDK # 0362
'72 TE - Chilled by PorscheAir!