Fanhousing "venturi"

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

BlackSheep
DDK Seasoned Poster

Fanhousing "venturi"

Post by BlackSheep »

Hi

I noticed that some (all?) fanhousings have a venturi attached to the fan inlet on the back.

I am currently rebuilding an industrial 616/33 engine, and it is going in a car when finished. I assume this venturi is supposed to speed up the air entering the fan blade on the back. But the question is if I can live without it, since my industrial fanhousing not has this venturi ring attached.

Can the venturi ring be purchased separately somewhere?

Thanks
Rasmus
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Re: Fanhousing "venturi"

Post by Mike Smith »

The Venturi increases the amount of air entering the fan housing - hence better cooling

Whether you can live without it depends on how much heat you are generating

How much heat you are generating depends on the ambient air entering the fan housing and how much power you are producing

The Oil Temperature will tell you how much heat you are generating (assuming that you have verified that the gauge is reading correctly)
If the oil is running over 100 degrees C then change the fan housing and at the same time fit the latest Alluminium Oil Coolers that are avaialble

The Venturi is not currently available as a separate piece although it is something that we should be manufacturing
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
James Self
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by James Self »

Deimos Air Cooled sell them for the VW world and I imagine that the opening in the fan shrouds are the same but you would need to check.

http://www.deimosaircooled.com/products ... de-119-001

German Folks Klub
BlackSheep
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by BlackSheep »

Perfect! Thank you. Will buy one from them.

Yes VW and Porsche are the same.

Does anyone know what width size the fan blade inside the fan housing is.
I ditched the original industrial fan blade that was on the engine (66' industrial 616/33 engine), and I am using one from a VW 1600 industrial engine, which is 1,5-2mm wider. It should provide a bit more airflow over the heads/cylinders.

So if anyone could measure a std. size Porsche 356/912 fan blade width, then I could decide if the VW is big enough.

Thanks