356B on Ebay

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

49barndoor
DDK Seasoned Poster

356B on Ebay

Post by 49barndoor »

Anyone know whats going on with this car and the seller?

Its been listed 3 times in 2 weeks :?

1st Listing v v v v v

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-356-B ... true&rt=nc

2nd Listing v v v v v

3rd Listing v v v v v

A little strange as its directed at the UK is there no interest in these cars in Portugal?
McDArcy
DDK Fanatic

Re: 356B on Ebay

Post by McDArcy »

Hi,

I've bought it and in theory it should be delivered to me here in the UK on the 11th December. I'm using AVL to do the collection and delivery.

Bloke selling is Joaquim Bessa who is pretty well known on the classic rallying circuit.

He has a 911 ST that is currently at Stuggart being work on, rallied a Ferrari 275GT in the tour Britannia this year.

It seems that the various bidders either weren't familiar with importing cars or weren't prepared to pay up front. Which is understandable.

Ive chatted to him at length, had loads of pics and been faxed all the paper work.

Will update if it arrives... ;-)

Fraser
‘61 Silver 356B T5
'63 Bali Blue 356B T6
49barndoor
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 49barndoor »

McDArcy wrote:Hi,

I've bought it and in theory it should be delivered to me here in the UK on the 11th December. I'm using AVL to do the collection and delivery.

Bloke selling is Joaquim Bessa who is pretty well known on the classic rallying circuit.

He has a 911 ST that is currently at Stuggart being work on, rallied a Ferrari 275GT in the tour Britannia this year.

It seems that the various bidders either weren't familiar with importing cars or weren't prepared to pay up front. Which is understandable.

Ive chatted to him at length, had loads of pics and been faxed all the paper work.

Will update if it arrives... ;-)

Fraser
Thats cool then keep us posted :wink:
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Fraser,

From the photo it seems to look a good buy hope it turns out well for you when it arrives. I reckon these days with so many cars that are realistically priced being looked at as possible scams, it puts people off taking that chance of parting with the money. Years ago there was more 'trust' around then today.

Look forward to your updates. I expect there will be quite a lot of work to do but enjoy it :)

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

I'm not sure you can go wrong at that price. What are you going to do for an engine?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
49barndoor
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 49barndoor »

roy mawbey wrote:Fraser,

From the photo it seems to look a good buy hope it turns out well for you when it arrives. I reckon these days with so many cars that are realistically priced being looked at as possible scams, it puts people off taking that chance of parting with the money. Years ago there was more 'trust' around then today.

Look forward to your updates. I expect there will be quite a lot of work to do but enjoy it :)

Roy
It might not have been an out and out scam but the winning bidder of the 2nd auction was rui1219

LINK V V V V

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/rui1219

This ebay member seems to have left feedback no less than 39 times for the seller, Joaquim Bessa.

He was also bidding on other items Joaquim Bessa had for sale.

I was the winning bidder on the 3rd auction and Joaquim Bessa sent me a paypal money request in the name of Rui Oliveira.

When I asked why the request was in the name Rui he told me the car now belonged to this other ebay member and he was selling it on his behalf.

I started to get concerned about the deal and said his best bet would be to make a 2nd chance offer.

Hope all goes well but the seller is not straight up and down thats for sure.
McDArcy
DDK Fanatic

Post by McDArcy »

Hey ho...

We will see if it happens!

I actually was closer to the reserve price he set, so not the end of the world. In theory covered by eBay, Paypal and my credit card...

I've personally had no issue with him, he has been very responsive with me. Answers my calls, responds to my emails, he has befriended me on Facebook, I've now spoken to quite a few people that know him and vouch for him... And have copies of the paper work...

If it does turn up... I'll need to see how good it is and what is required! Given how cheap it is, first thought was to plate any holes, spray it Matt black by hand and fit a 1720 vw engine... ;-)

Fraser
‘61 Silver 356B T5
'63 Bali Blue 356B T6
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Barndoor,

Can see why it all seemed strange to you, after looking at the link its does seem odd. I hope for Fraser it turns up okay, although he seems worldly wise on these things unlike me who asked the cat nicely next door not to do its business on my lawn, Came up to me and purred but I had to go again the next day with a spade :? (not to bury it of course just in case you all thought.......)

Roy
49barndoor
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 49barndoor »

McDArcy wrote:Hey ho...

We will see if it happens!

I actually was closer to the reserve price he set, so not the end of the world. In theory covered by eBay, Paypal and my credit card...

I've personally had no issue with him, he has been very responsive with me. Answers my calls, responds to my emails, he has befriended me on Facebook, I've now spoken to quite a few people that know him and vouch for him... And have copies of the paper work...

If it does turn up... I'll need to see how good it is and what is required! Given how cheap it is, first thought was to plate any holes, spray it Matt black by hand and fit a 1720 vw engine... ;-)

Fraser
Fraser I think you will be ok after all your communications and if my payment was covered by paypal, ebay and credit card I would have payed for it.

You are only covered by ebay and paypal if you use the ebay/paypal checkout service from the auction.
I went to pay with this service and paypal said v v v v

Your transaction exceeds the individual transaction limit of £5,500.00 GBP.
Return to eBay
At this time, we are unable to process your request. Please return to eBay and try another option.

The seller said he would send me a money request which he did in another name.
At this point the payment is not protected at all.

I asked if he had facility's to accept a credit card payment so I would be covered with the card.
He could only accept it through paypal and as it was not connected to the ebay checkout it was not a safe payment.

If the guy was a known character in the VW/Porsche forums it would have been a different matter.
I have bought dozens of cars blind in the past but this one smelt a little fishy to me.

He also said straight after the auction that he had 2 other UK buyers wanting to buy the car for more money so to pay for it fast.
This sort of sales tactics is not something I respond to positively.

All the best Iain..
McDArcy
DDK Fanatic

Post by McDArcy »

Rock n roll...

Maybe I'll be another eBay statistic... ;-)

It's always a worry buying blind from aboard when dealing with someone who doesn't have English as a first language...

I know who he is, where he lives and who his family are!! :-/

Fingers crossed....

I was initially deeply suspicious!!!
‘61 Silver 356B T5
'63 Bali Blue 356B T6
Grindon
Married to the DDK

Post by Grindon »

I looked at this car and emailed the guy for more info the first couple of times it was on eBay (even though there was a number in the advert, I didn't think it was worth a call without a little more info), but didn't get a reply so I just left it.

From what has been said above, it appears that he has been more than a little naughty in some of his 'dealings' and at worst 'bid-up' the car on eBay. However, given your contact and the history that you have on the guy, I am sure that the car as pictured will be forthcoming.

Good luck, and keep us informed as to how things are going.

Cheers,

Kevin
1962 356B S90 (1710cc, RHD)
1969 911T (with 73 2.4 911S motor, LHD)
1976 911 Targa 2.7 (fully rebuilt as 1988 3.3 Turbo Cabriolet (proper job), RHD)
1985 944 2.5 (early dash)
1988 924S (sold)
McDArcy
DDK Fanatic

Post by McDArcy »

Well....

After a couple of worried thoughts having read opinions on here.... the car has been collected and will be back in the UK middle of next week.

General observations from the driver is that it is pretty solid....

Will update once it arrives!

Might be worth checking out the 69' 911E that the guy is selling!
‘61 Silver 356B T5
'63 Bali Blue 356B T6
McDArcy
DDK Fanatic

Post by McDArcy »

Update:

The car has arrived and is currently at Chris Turner's.

I'm waiting for a ramp so that we can inspect properly.

Very happy with it so far... That may simply be because it actually arrived! :-)

Time to prepare a list!! Anyone got an engine for sale?

Fraser
‘61 Silver 356B T5
'63 Bali Blue 356B T6
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Fraser,

Pleased its arrived okay. Hope its what you expected when you see it. Might be worth asking PRS if they know of an engine. Some pics would be nice later on.

Roy
49barndoor
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by 49barndoor »

McDArcy wrote:Update:

The car has arrived and is currently at Chris Turner's.

I'm waiting for a ramp so that we can inspect properly.

Very happy with it so far... That may simply be because it actually arrived! :-)

Time to prepare a list!! Anyone got an engine for sale?

Fraser
Good news glad it all went to plan :wink:

I have an engine I was going to put in it if I ended up with it.
To all the purists........do not check the link :lol: v v v v v v

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=772375