Larger Fuel tank time

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Del
DDK forever

Re: Larger Fuel tank time

Post by Del »

Nice work Rich.

At first glance, i thought you had a monster hydraulic lifter holding the bonnet up! Was only when i actually looked at it that I realised you put the henry hoover pipe to good use!
shambly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by shambly »

Very nice! :)
mdmax72
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by mdmax72 »

Thanks guys

Hey Del, henry the hover has many uses. That sounds so wrong.

Anyone got ideas on baffles, still not sure whether to or not. Opinions welcome...also venting and a rain tray. Bought a dog bowl today to chop up and see what l can come up with...
Rich

DDK Member 0547

Evolving Speedster Build ;-)
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Got more done over the weekend. l can see the light at the other end now. It's coming along nice now, started to braze up the cut-out for the servo etc. Also seam welded up all lower seams of the tank. Last minute decision to put x2 baffle plates in to help with the sloshing of the fuel from side to side.

Anyone know what chemicals to use to clean/flush out the inside of the tank with. Por15 stuff is pricey, must be an alternative??

Rich

DDK Member 0547

oliver365
DDK slapper chatter

Post by oliver365 »

gonna look amazing Rich ! very neat :wink:
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

mdmax72 wrote: Anyone know what chemicals to use to clean/flush out the inside of the tank with. Por15 stuff is pricey, must be an alternative??

Have a look at the recent posts (p20) by Chris Jury in his build thread:

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewto ... &start=285
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Thanks for the heads up Andy. Knew l read it here somewhere.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

To bring you upto date, I've made the filler neck stainless, this will help against rust. Used an old brass fitting for the water outlet and a top type seal which will compress on the underside of the bonnet. With a little manipulation this is what I've come up with. :wink:

Next was to come up with something to check for leaks. So going the air with a all amount of fuel. Was going to just fill it and let gravity do the rest but this could take awhile for the if any leaks show up. As I've not positioned the filler neck at present so l came up with this to speed the leak test up.

As you can see from picture you can see how it works. You can see the straps to hold it down with cushioned with some nitrile cork. Just need to remove the tank from car and pump it up and fingers crossed, all should be good for next stage, painting?? Or powder coat?? Once the filler neck is in position this week if I get chance??
Rich

DDK Member 0547

oliver365
DDK slapper chatter

Post by oliver365 »

very gud ya :wink: you r going the extra mile :roll:
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Pressure test done, and found half a dozen pin holes. Just used my bike pump other than the compressor to pump the air in, as it didn't take much to do the leak test. Pinholes now filled and all is air tight.

Set the height of the filler neck through the bonnet and welded the filler in place. Good job l waited till l made the tank straps and bolted it in place before l set the height as it compressed into the rubber seal under the tank at least 6mm. Which could have been a disaster....

Anyway decided to go the powder coated route instead of painting. It was cheaper, petrol resistant and it gets a light blast. Handed it over to Pete (powder coater) Friday , having it done silver with black straps. Will just need to fix the rain tray and drill a hole for the tank breather behind the filler at the highest point of the tank. Will post some pictures when l get it back from Pete.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

Back from Powder coat Pete :P . Don't tell the Mrs i've been using the table again :lol: :lol:

Rich

DDK Member 0547

oliver365
DDK slapper chatter

Post by oliver365 »

spot on Rich :salute:
mdmax72

Post by mdmax72 »

This is it, final fit and fuel lines connected up. Rain tray with over-flow pipe finished and a new fuel tank breather fitted. Before fitting though l thought it best to move one of the fuse blocks as access between the two hinges would have been impossible if a fuse had blown. Moved it just outside the left hand hinge, plenty of cable within the loom so just a case of re-routing.

All that's left is to fill it up with some fuel :P May need to adjust (raise) the front suspension,what with the extra weight up front with a full tank of fuel as clearances are tight on full lock now.
Rich

DDK Member 0547

oliver365
DDK slapper chatter

Post by oliver365 »

:headbang: :glasses1: great work as per usual Rich ! looks like it just come from the Carrera factory :wink:
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Excellent result - looks really professional.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”