356 Race Car

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

steve wright
DDK rules my life!

356 Race Car

Post by steve wright »

I'd spent years agonising over when the right time was to go racing, and realised that there was never a good time. So 18 months ago I started what turned out to be a loooong search for the right car. Gosh I looked at some rubbish. And some expensive rubbish at that. In the end my search went via Mike at PRS Services (thanks Mike!) to Vic Skirmants in the US. Both the race cars he had were too highly developed for FIA regulated racing, but he did have a customer cars that he had built and maintained that was for sale. Happily it fitted the bill perfectly and it arrived last week, so Christmas has come early to the Wright household (at least it has for me)!

Once back at the workshop Ian Clark (who is sharing the driving and doing the spannering) and I looked over what I had bought - Having never bought a car sight-unseen I was REALLY worried that I was buying a turd despite Vic's reputation. Happily we were able to breath a sigh of relief as the car is better than I expected.

The car features an FIA spec fuel tank (centre-filler), lightweight battery and plumbed in fire-extinguisher:

It has Speedster-style seats which we'll probably replace for a modern seat:

The car also features a few VDO guages (oil pressure and temp). You can see we're trying different steering wheels as the original is HUGE! Image

It's got a rollcage (note the VSCCA scrutineering stickers) but we will probably put a full six point chromoly cage in with under-dash bar and side intrusion bars too Image

The engine is a Barry Curtis race engine on Zenith's that have been tweaked by Vic Skirmants. I've not too many details on the engine but it pulls happily to 7,500rpm and having looked up her skirt when servicing she has Carrillo's, dual valve springs, titanium valve caps, chromoly pushrods, etc so she is built to rev. Image

The gearbox is a 741 unit (I think) with BBAA gears so a good compromise for racing.

It also features genuine GT/550 spyder 60mm brakes which is a real plus, plus adjustable Koni's all round Image

Nice door gaps and panels, although it's obvious it's had some repair work which isn't surprising given it's a 50 year old race car! Having said all that it's got all it's original panels (the engine lid is an ally unit) but I've got the original hanging on the wall) Image

Some nice racer touches such as the split mirror to get the best visibility on the circuit as possible Image

Obviously we've got some work to do to get it road-legal (neither Ian or I want to be driving it for the first time when sitting on the grid!). Oh and I should said we plan to race it in the HSCC Guards series, so time is tight as the first race is April!

Comments (and helpful hints on tweaking the car for racing) welcome. Cheers, Steve
'53 356 Pre-A (a box of bits!)
'54 Okrasa/Porsche/VW special
'58 356A Super (GS-spec)
'65 Razoredge Ghia
'66 Westfalia Camper
'70 911S (2.3 ST Le-Mans spec engine)

http://www.pushrod.org

http://www.classicporschemag.co.uk
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Re: 356 Race Car

Post by smallspeed »

wow the car looks amazing!!..
might be worth having a look at a mk1 mx5 steering wheel, they had a nardi wood and leather version i think, and either can be got for little money.. not totally in-keeping (and I have no idea if they will fit) but might be a good option for a smaller but period design rim?
964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

Awesome Steve!! 8) 8)
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Steve,

As you know, you are just about the only bloke to ever drive my car in the time I have owned it. I have a VDM 400mm diameter wheel that was normally fitted to speedsters. I did once long ago think of going smaller but happy I didn't. The 400mm diameter gives very good feel and lightness of steering. Maybe on a race track that's not the case though.

Your car does look really great, just keep it clear of everyone else please. The engine mods must be fantastic when compared to my 75hp. I don't think Vic would ever catch you when you buy or get work done from him.

Really like it :) ( and the brakes )

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
Rustbucket
DDK forever

Post by Rustbucket »

Wow, that's pretty much everything I would aspire to mine becoming, one day....
Please try and post a video of it !

D
Contact me if you have any 356b coupe parts !!!!
vwretrosteve
DDK forever

Post by vwretrosteve »

Super buy - looks fantastic !

Would be interested to see it on the grid myself - so a gentle reminder about the series nearer the time would be cool :)
356A coupe,...
and some other nonsense

Retro VW-Porsche - Euro and USA
Import/Sales.
Vehicles, parts and Temptation.
Surrey- 01483 810756 07974579667
40 scout
DDK rules my life!

Post by 40 scout »

Great car, those brakes will be a real bonus, I dont know if it's near you but if the cars quiet enough (105db) the Octane track day at Goodwood would give you quite a bit of tracktime for setting up and getting used to the car, tho Im sure other circuits do too.

Good luck, remember it's only old metal after all ! :wink:

Steve
'72 911T - 212 BHP 2.7, on PMO's
'62 RHD T6 B outlaw
'71 Alfa GT Veloce 2000

1929 Indian 101 'bobber' project.
'40 Indian Sport Scout bobber
VW T5
!920's Racing Cycle
1920's Premier cycle
A few vintage Heuers

Member No 381
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

Steve, great car, great project. I think Guards is a plucky choice - I might be tempted to start off in Roadsports where you are likely to find more to tussle with. Go invitation class if they give you any nonsense and go FIA as soon as you have settled into the car and the whole racing thing. Another thing to consider might be pre-63 GT? Drop me a line if you want to discuss. Best wishes, Robert
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Bloody Lovely.. Well done.
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

If that is the car I think it is - it will have history

Talk to me - BUT next week, I am taking a couple of days out before we get back into gearbox building

Take a look at the Barry Curtis card glued to the Fan Housing - it was Barry`s joke

It is Titanium
The thickness one end is for setting the Inlet Rocker clearance
The other end is for the Exhaust Rocker clearance
It has graduated holes for grading baking powder
The card is great for cutting lines of powder
and if all else fails
It is the same size as a credit card so you can foul up the whole banking system by feeding it through an ATM

A rare piece of Curtis history
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Looks like a great car Steve - congratulations!
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
steve wright
DDK rules my life!

Post by steve wright »

thanks for the kind words everyone.

Oh, mystery and intrigue... I love it. I'll call you next week Mike. Thanks by the way for all your advice and counsel, it's been much appreciated and frankly has avoided my enthusiasm getting the better of me and buying lots of rubbish. Vic couldn't have been easier to work with and was a mine of information - I would certainly recommend him to anyone thinking about buying a car from the east coast of the US.

Roy, driving your car inspired me to buy a 356! I must admit I was very aware of the privilege you were bestowing on me and throughout the test drive I couldn't help thinking "mustn't bend this otherwise I'll forever be known as the guy who destroyed a lovely original car".

Robert, thanks for the counsel. Philip B had made much the same remark, especially regarding the Chevron boys who seem to hunt in packs. I had latched onto the Guards series due to the number of circuits but I'll look into the other series you suggest as frankly I'm cacking myself thinking about sitting on a grid on a circuit I don't know, in a car I've never driven in anger, in my first race, surrounded by chaps who are out to win :shock:
'58 356A Super (GS-spec)
'65 Razoredge Ghia
'66 Westfalia Camper

one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

Historic roadsports probably the easier intro - same itinerary as Guards, but you will have more people to race with. Once you're started you can progress to other things. Make sure you bring it to Goodwood in Feb!
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
KS

Post by KS »

steve wright wrote: frankly I'm cacking myself thinking about sitting on a grid on a circuit I don't know, in a car I've never driven in anger, in my first race, surrounded by chaps who are out to win :shock:
Cool car Steve! But the above comment? Come on! This from a man who drives in London on a regular basis? No different to the Vauxhall Bridge traffic lights, surely! :lol:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
steve wright
DDK rules my life!

Post by steve wright »

:) taken to cycling around London on a Boris bike recently, that was a challenge!
'58 356A Super (GS-spec)
'65 Razoredge Ghia
'66 Westfalia Camper