New proposed EU law regarding modifications and replicas ??

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Jasper
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

New proposed EU law regarding modifications and replicas ??

Post by Jasper »

I read in last weeks CCW that there is a new proposed EU Law, banning modifing or changing cars from there original spec ??? Would this be the end of building RS / ST and R replicas ? Or prevent one fitting a larger or modified engine etc ??? Has anyone more information on same ??
Rds,
Jasper
Email :denisamurphy@gmail.com
97 993C4S,64 356C,9112.7 RS clone,03Manthey K410 GT3,70 2.2 E,86 32 Coupe,66 230SL,70 E type 4.2,03BMW E46M3, 981 3.4S PDK, VW Touareg 3.0TDI..2 Scotties, 22 Aquador.
bonerp
DDK slapper chatter

Re: New proposed EU law regarding modifications and replicas

Post by bonerp »

Tossers.

Theres a big difference between building a safe car and dangerously modifying a standard car - isn't this what the IVA test is for?

The EU and VOSA need to get the 2 defined clearly and separately.
Built a Pilgrim Speedster...only down one kidney

My build: https://sites.google.com/site/bonerp356/home

http://www.Speedsterclinic.co.uk

Now for sale! Next project looms...
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

would an MOT tester visually tell the difference between a 2.7 and a 2.2? :wink:

i think there's a law somewhere like malta which bans all aftermarket modification parts, be it a cone air filter or an engine swap. some of those guys do some incredible work modifying cars "under the radar" 8)

i believe this proposed law is aimed more towards things like excessively lowered / "stanced" cars where tyres rub bodywork, or cars with cheap european coil-overs without helper springs which have terrible spring retention.. i don't think its aimed at people who do safe and sensible modifications like putting 3.6l engines into 1960's porsches :wink:
356california
DDK Fanatic

Post by 356california »

I lived in Italy for a while and the rules over there still say you cannot increase the BHP of your engine increase the size of your wheels or change the colour of your car from factory standard!!!

I doubt they will impose a ban modification of cars over here or even bother messing with it. The industry for kit cars and mods here is gigantic!!!!
/Users/steve/Desktop/random/250620101650.jpg
Jasper
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Jasper »

This proposed law is coming from the EU to " preserve originality of the car as designed " which
I can appreciate , somewhat like a listed building . But as always the devil is in the detail . Tuning and and
tweaking is a where the fun is, optimising and using modern materials to improve the breed is always good.
EG : Hydraulic chain tensioners , turbo tie rods, strut braces, Jenveys, SSI , Dansk exhaust etc . i hope it would not kill the R gruppe guys cars as an example of "genius and class/ style "would not be inhibited or banned ?
Rds,
Jasper
Email :denisamurphy@gmail.com
97 993C4S,64 356C,9112.7 RS clone,03Manthey K410 GT3,70 2.2 E,86 32 Coupe,66 230SL,70 E type 4.2,03BMW E46M3, 981 3.4S PDK, VW Touareg 3.0TDI..2 Scotties, 22 Aquador.
Barwaut
DDK Fanatic

Post by Barwaut »

356california wrote:I lived in Italy for a while and the rules over there still say you cannot increase the BHP of your engine increase the size of your wheels or change the colour of your car from factory standard!!!
Yes, and in the mean time there's is no annual test (MOT), nobody has to see your car again after you bought it...

Funny country...
'67 912 White Black Coupe
'68 912 Slate Grey Red Leather Targa
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Jasper wrote:Hydraulic chain tensioners , turbo tie rods, strut braces, Jenveys, SSI , Dansk exhaust etc
i wouldn't worry too much; im not sure your average MOT tester would notice the above, maybe the jenveys and probably the strutbrace, but otherwise..

my track car baffled the guys at Sytner BMW; they knew something wasn't right (250bhp rather than 190) but couldn't spot any engine mods! :lol:

given the passion in the uk for building great custom / kit cars, restoring classics, modifying cars, and the huge industry built up around it, i can't see the government doing anything to kill it off
Ian 2.2S
DDK rules my life!

Post by Ian 2.2S »

smallspeed wrote: i can't see the government doing anything to kill it off
The miners and everybody in British manufacturing thought that too :x
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

true.. :(

but "ripspeed at halfords" is pretty much our largest automotive manufacturer these days :lol: