Anybody know this car

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
TheBaron
DDK slapper chatter

Anybody know this car

Post by TheBaron »

Hi All

I cant live without a 356, after selling mine, I have been scouring the ads and this has emerged, seems OK value for RHD, does anybody Know anything about its history.

Its in Scotland, so am reluctant to just drive up and see it without knowing much about it, he dosnt seem to have any history.

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/cla ... rno/136067

He has also advertised it on here for £20k if it goes to a ddker

Hopefully someone may have some details

Over to you guys

Thanks for any help in advance

Regards

Stephen
Last edited by TheBaron on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

Very nice probably... where and what is it? :lol:
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
Dakota
DDK forever

Post by Dakota »

I think I owned that car around eleven years ago and although very pretty with a fortune spent on the running gear the underside was a big old patchwork quilt, I sold it for twelve I think and did explain it would need floors and longitudinals etc, unless there are two RHD B's in that colour whose reg number ends it MT its the same car.
I am a person of simple pleasures so if you don't have any simple pleasures to offer me, beer, pizza or Porsche bits etc kindly leave me be, XX.
Dakota
DDK forever

Post by Dakota »

Just took a look in the classifieds, save your money and buy Charlottes 911.
I am a person of simple pleasures so if you don't have any simple pleasures to offer me, beer, pizza or Porsche bits etc kindly leave me be, XX.
356A
DDK Fanatic

Post by 356A »

It's the same car & the floors are still the same, I would love to know more about it myself,It's a great car I bought An outlaw thats the only reason I am selling.I only know it did a couple of classic rallies one to Barcelona did you prepare the car for this event as its in excellent mechanical order? its just the patchy floor that lets it down, solid but not the nicest of floors to look at.

I was in you shop looking at a (red) 356 around the same time (12 years ago) but It was an A.Your shop was in the centre of London under ground from memory there was also a rhd mustang or corvette some one had left & you wernt sure what to do with it.I still have your card somewhere its got a plane on it, (small world) regards tom
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Hiya

just following up on your posts - anyone have an idea on how much a floor costs to put in? - cant be that much can it?

did anyone find out if its matching numbers ?

thanks very much

Disco
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

stephen - you can have my 'T', then I can afford the 356 ... you really want an 'A' anyway :)
TheBaron
DDK slapper chatter

Post by TheBaron »

Whats your T like, any pics?
Nige
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nige »

Coincidently a friend of a friend owns this 356B that didn't sell at auction recently, I know he's had a couple of low offers that he's considering but has asked if I know anyone who maybe interested. I then remembered this thread.
http://www.coys.co.uk/auction.php?itemI ... ctionID=12

I've asked for more details and for a selling price, which is lower than the Coys estimate. Once I know these I'll post them up. I've only really seen the car at couple of family/friends weddings so not had the opportunity to have a good nose around it but from I can recall it's very nice.
356A
DDK Fanatic

356B

Post by 356A »

The numbers from the V5 are VIN 116085
Engine P89329
DOR 28-06-1961

hope this helps

Dont lose site of what this is ! this is a very useable right hand drive 356B not a basket case not a plastic kit a real genuine AFN supplied Porsche 356
I jumped at the chance to own this just because I am not trying to rip the arse out anyone on price. dont think there is something wrong. would you be more interested if I was asking £28k/32? as I have seen a lot worse lhd doing this. wake up ddker this is the real deal.The floors are solid & it will come with a years mot (you cant see the floor when you're driving) If I dont sell it here in the next week. I will stick it on pistonheads & the rite money & someone will still be getting a great car.
TheBaron
DDK slapper chatter

Re: 356B

Post by TheBaron »

356A wrote:The numbers from the V5 are VIN 116085
Engine P89329
DOR 28-06-1961

hope this helps

Dont lose site of what this is ! this is a very useable right hand drive 356B not a basket case not a plastic kit a real genuine AFN supplied Porsche 356
I jumped at the chance to own this just because I am not trying to rip the arse out anyone on price. dont think there is something wrong. would you be more interested if I was asking £28k/32? as I have seen a lot worse lhd doing this. wake up ddker this is the real deal.The floors are solid & it will come with a years mot (you cant see the floor when you're driving) If I dont sell it here in the next week. I will stick it on pistonheads & the rite money & someone will still be getting a great car.
Not losing site 356A, I am very interested but it is just the location, so obviously wanting to get as much info on the car before I make a trip.
Dakota
DDK forever

Post by Dakota »

Hello, in regard to the 356B are you one of the two guys that came to buy it or did you get it from them, I understood it was bought to go historic rallying and went on a Classic Marathon to Istanbul... As far as matching numbers are concerned the crankcase has definitely been changed as there is a bill in its history, and it did have a fair history, for an engine rebuild with a new case in the early seventies at a London Vw main agent, although they may well have stamped the case with the old engines number. On reflection I may have been rather dismissive about the price versus condition thing as for just under twenty for a running driving mot'd 356 is not terrible and that one did drive really well and had had a fortune spent on the mechanics including four new brake drums! I went around it adjusting things, sorting the carbs and fuel pump and fixing the instruments etc, it needed more than just floors but nearly all 356's need or have had rust repair which is often fairly extensive , I suppose if its still hanging together all these years after I sold it and is yet to be fixed properly how bad can it be?
356A
DDK Fanatic

Post by 356A »

No I must have bought it from the person you sold it to but he said he had no history perhaps he couldnt find it & didnt want any hassle in me chasing him up? yes it also did the Istanbul rally Thanks for your help.
vwretrosteve
DDK forever

Post by vwretrosteve »

i hope i didnt start a free for all by mentioning my 3.2 carrera :oops:

anyway - forget that lot , buy my A :wink:
356A coupe,...
and some other nonsense

Retro VW-Porsche - Euro and USA
Import/Sales.
Vehicles, parts and Temptation.
Surrey- 01483 810756 07974579667
Dakota
DDK forever

Post by Dakota »

Hi me again
its a shame if the history has gone missing as it was pretty good, I remember some letters from an architect who owned it in the late sixties, the invoices and letters in regard to its engine rebuild by Westmorelands Vw and invoices for around four and a half thousand from Mr Curtiss, this did include the four new drums, there were also pictures of its cosmetic restoration which the previous owner to me had carried out along with the mechanical stuff, Ialso remember it turning up in the early nineties at a classic car dealer I worked at , back then it ran and moved under its own steam but was pretty rough looking. When I bought it I just went around it making things work as they should, anyhow I do think its bad form to try and flog ones wares by hijacking a thread, but then again I don't have anything to flog at the mo... This 356 has crackle black tinware which is a bit odd but I would guess this was refinished when thew motor was rebuilt.