getting paint made up

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Disco
DDK rules my life!

getting paint made up

Post by Disco »

guys,

dusted off the 911 this week from its slumber over the winter months. - washed it so when the rain comes, you can blame me. - and i have found a small bubble of rust by the jacking point but on the body work.

I'd like to do some remedial work before it gets worse - anyone got any ideas how I go about getting paint mixed up and put in a spray can - or even a paint stick ( pretty small area )

what are the pitfalls of this? - assume poor paint matching?

thanks
Disco
Histrally
DDK Fanatic

Post by Histrally »

Disco,
I am not sure where you live but I use an automotive paint supplier called Paintstore in Leamington Spa who will mix paint to either a code or match to a panel then put it into aerosol cans.
I am sure most companies in this business offer a similar service.
Jerry
911 2.7 Carrera Rep
Regularity rally prepared (For sale)
Subaru Legacy Tourer
Nick Moss
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Nick Moss »

Any trade paint supplier will mix up some paint for you and put it in an aerosol, but beware. A small paint bubble in this area may well lead to you finding that you need inner and outer sills and a kidney bowl, so think hard before poking any further.
Last edited by Nick Moss on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Sam

Post by Sam »

Taking off the fuel cap and taking it in to your local refinishing supplier is the favourite way of getting a colour mixed to match.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

My fuel cap's cadmium-plated ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

nick-moss wrote:Any trade paint supplier will mix up some paint for you and put it in an aerosol, but beware. A small paint bubble in this area may well lead to you finding that you need inner and outer sills and a kidney bowl, so think hard before poking any further.
thanks for the advice... fingers crossed....
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I got paint made up by [whisper]halfrauds[/whisper] into an aerosol for my kids Rover 25. Was a surprisingly good match done from the paint code!

GRaham