Hell Hole - panels or fabrication

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Philw
DDK Seasoned Poster

Hell Hole - panels or fabrication

Post by Philw »

I have now found someone to tackle the hell hole repair on my '74 2:0 litre 914. We are discussing whether to buy repair panels or if he will fabricate them. I have the engine shelf and battery support from a previous start to the job. However we need the inner wing and the piece where it curves down to meet the long (sorry no pics at the moment) anyway is Roger Bray the only/best source? I thnk the states or mittlemotor may be out due to shipping time (welder keen to get on as am I). Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Phil
atomman
Married to the DDK

Post by atomman »

I just did this job on mine, don't know how bad yours is, but I fabricated the panels for the bulk head and some other bits and also the side of the engine tin as it only needed a bit doing so didn't warrant buying the hole panel, I did buy a battery tray and support bracket though, I suppose it depends how good the guy is that's doing the work?

I will try and find some pics for you

Hope that helps

Gary
veltror
DDK above all

Post by veltror »

I have no smiles I shed no tears,
In an eternity of pain I have no peers.
jim2l2S
DDK Newbie

Post by jim2l2S »

The Canadian "Restoration Design" have an European distributor : http://www.porsche-restoration-panels.com

:wink:
atomman
Married to the DDK

Post by atomman »

here you go

Philw
DDK Seasoned Poster

Hell hole panels

Post by Philw »

Thanks for the replies, the welder can fabricate all the pieces but of course it's a trade off of his time/cost versus the panels, plus I suppose the panels look more "factory"....

I have taken a couple of pictures and will try to post them to illiustrate what needs replacing. Thanks for the link to Restoration Design that looks really interesting. I have spoken to Roger Bray but they would have to order the inner wing. Interestingly I thnk their prices are about the same as Restoration design, need to check that more closely when I have identified the exact panels.

Veltor I have reviewed your resto link along with the german blue car and they are a source of inspiration to me (and I have shown them to my welder), on the basis that mine is not as bad fro what we cans ee so if your two cars can make it back from the grave then so can mine.. :) [/img]
Philw
DDK Seasoned Poster

Hell hole panels

Post by Philw »

Thanks for the replies, the welder can fabricate all the pieces but of course it's a trade off of his time/cost versus the panels, plus I suppose the panels look more "factory"....

I have taken a couple of pictures and will try to post them to illiustrate what needs replacing. Thanks for the link to Restoration Design that looks really interesting. I have spoken to Roger Bray but they would have to order the inner wing. Interestingly I thnk their prices are about the same as Restoration design, need to check that more closely when I have identified the exact panels.

Veltor I have reviewed your resto link along with the german blue car and they are a source of inspiration to me (and I have shown them to my welder), on the basis that mine is not as bad fro what we cans ee so if your two cars can make it back from the grave then so can mine.. :) [/img]
Philw
DDK Seasoned Poster

Pictures

Post by Philw »

I have uploaded some pictures to flickr, I hope this link works? let me know? I think you need to cut and paste rather than click on it but lets see (I am not great on the IT side).........
If it does you can see the worst rust on the piece that joins the suspension mount area to the long. This is the piece I'd like to identify on Restoration & roger Bray's web site.

Cheers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53566641@N08/?saved=1
Philw
DDK Seasoned Poster

Panels

Post by Philw »

An update for those that assisted (thank you)! I have just taken delivery of a new complete inner wing panel, a door post, floor triangle, jack post and cover. We decided the inner long repair could be fabriacted but that these panels were better bought than made up. I bought from Roger Bray, as he had them in stock and prices seemed similar to buying from the States. Just trying to sort out with them a difference in price between what they were on one page of the web site and what they were on the catalogue price page. As the total order was £580 rather than the £490 I had calculated it's not a small uplift. Be interesting to see how they handle it. Welder is very good and the desire to buy panels is based on his beleive that we shoudl try to make the repair look as "factory" as possible rather than his inability to make up repair pieces. Hopefully he can get cracking on the next step next week. I'll post some pics.
Cheers
Phil
drummerboytom

Post by drummerboytom »

If it's on a web site it's an "advertised price" in law .
It's the sellers responsibility to keep his advertised prices up to date whether they are on the web or elsewhere.
That he has a different price written down somewhere else isn't relevant.
Insist on paying only the advertised price if he didn't inform you of any variance before processing the sale
drummerboytom
1970 914 / 6 Irish Green
1974 914 / 4 Giallo Fly ( yellow ! )
gone to a new DDK home - 1972 911 2.4T coupe with '73 2.4T CIS motor
gone to a new home - 1970 911 T Targa