all the small things.. ..an e39 apreciation post (NP)

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

all the small things.. ..an e39 apreciation post (NP)

Post by smallspeed »

i know there's a few e39 owners here, so thought i'd share my experiences from last night and see if others have similar experiences..

i popped down to london to pick up a new car for amie, an audi tt convertible. initial impressions, a nice little car, engine pulls really well, gearbox is slick, no rattles or shakes, drives really solid for an older car, everything had a good solid weight to it.. just what you'd expect from audi i guess!

but then on the way home as the motorway journey got progressively more boring, i started to notice all the niggly little things about it.. with the key in the ignition the keyring sits on my right thigh, the steering wheel is slightly offset towards the center of the car, the door mirrors vibrate a little bit (the glass not the housing), you can't eject the cd changer cartridge unless the ignition is on, and the fancy metal struts between the dash and transmission tunnel are in the way of my left knee when my foot is on the clutch-foot-rest..

climbing back into my car this morning i couldn't help but realise how all of these little things were just.. ..right i guess! especially the driving position

sorry to anyone who doesn't have / hasn't had an e39, but im sure you all have similar experiences with other cars. be interesting to hear what you find good or bad about cars you've driven, especially "all the small things"

b :)

ps.. my 964 had a typical feet in the passenger footwell driving position; i think its called character on a car like that though, rather than crap ergonomics ;)
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: all the small things.. ..an e39 apreciation post (NP)

Post by KS »

smallspeed wrote: ps.. my 964 had a typical feet in the passenger footwell driving position; i think its called character on a car like that though, rather than crap ergonomics ;)
No, it's crap ergonomics – a good reason why not to buy a RHD 911 built pre-996/Boxster. If your 964 had been a left-hooker, the way Porsche intended, it would have felt OK! :drunken:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

I had an M3 e39 ( I think it was from a quick check on google ) and whilst it was a convertible ( which some people sneer at ) i have to say that it was the most fantastic car I have owned - aside from my rattley old porsche.

the way the car was put together was superb, the engine amazing, the exhaust tone .. in fact everything.

with the new one they put a hard top on it, but this reduces the boot ( which on mine was ample for the (then ) three of us ) - I'm sure that this addition will reduce the cabin noise on the motorway which was the only grumble I had, but then I did buy an open top car.

what stopped me buying another BMW was the BMW service.

Aside from BMW not reallly having a suitable car for me - I had to trade in the car, on the account of the wife up and having twins ( bucket seats in the back meant that I couldnt get three children in the back ) - the BMW service was really bad. Rather than realising that I was very happy with my car and really wanted to be sold another BMW, I got the impression that the Dealership saw me as the sheep in the lions den.

I could almost see them rubbing their hands with glee as they profitted upon my 'unfortunate' circumstance ( I say that with tongue in cheek ) -

I owned the car from new and paid ( sorry to be so crass ) £54 for it and 18 months later with 11,000 on the clock was offered a take it or leave it £32.

such a drop was like a kick in the old kahunahs and I know that everyone's got to make a profit but to top it off, it was on the forcourt for about 3 days ( before it sold ) for 38k. - might even have been 39,999

I learnt my lesson and now go into situations like this from a position of strength rather than of weakness but, whilst it pains me not to buy another one, I cant see myself ever buying a BMW again and if I do, certainly not one from a dealership.

I suppose the moral of my long winded story is, for me anyway - a car is a car, within the price bracket that you are looking at some are slightly better than others and some are slightly worse than others but what is the differenciating factor for me is the customer service and aftersales support you get which sadly you only find out once you have made the purchase.
minister
DDK Fanatic

Post by minister »

Disco wrote:I had an M3 e39 ( I think it was from a quick check on google )
E39 = 5 series ;o)

I had an 540iA Touring - still missing it.... Was a fantastic driver....

Thorsten
911 3.2 -> gone
911 993 -> gone
911 3.6 old git
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

minister wrote:
Disco wrote:I had an M3 e39 ( I think it was from a quick check on google )
E39 = 5 series ;o)

I had an 540iA Touring - still missing it.... Was a fantastic driver....

Thorsten
ha ha - they all look the bloody same these days !!
- whoops.
Dyno Soar
I luv DDK!

Post by Dyno Soar »

We have an e39 family wagon and its an absolute dream of a car. we can't think of anything we could replace it with. its just the best car for any purpose. apart from auto trans rebuild its been a great car to own. smooth reliable and spacious. I really enjoy driving it when I can wrestle the keys from the wife.

maybe we'll replace it with a x5 but that's a long way off yet.
Alam

77' 911 Carerra 3.0 'The Beast'
58' 356-A Coupe
55' Chevy
51' AP17
abm914
Events Organiser

Post by abm914 »

Ok - so am now thinking about buying an E39!

Which is the best model and year?

Also - any good forums out there (is http://www.e39.co.uk/ any good)?

Ad.
mzuberbuehler
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by mzuberbuehler »

Happy 2nd owner of an e39 (V reg) saloon for 6 years (523i version). Now just under 100k miles on the clock. Car has been very reliable and is an excellent highway cruiser as well as good fun on A roads. If it weren't for my recent relocation to Switzerland where RHD cars are less fun to drive I would probably keep this car forever.
1973 911 (S)T
2015 LR 110 Heritage
2010 LR Freelander
2007 LR D3
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

abm914 wrote:Ok - so am now thinking about buying an E39!

Ad.
Early: 528i with M Sport pack (wheels, suspension)
Late: 530i sport

Petrol of course as it's not a taxi you are after is it! :)
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

abm914 wrote:Ok - so am now thinking about buying an E39!

Also - any good forums out there (is http://www.e39.co.uk/ any good)?

Ad.
bmw5.co.uk is a great forum for all things 5..

best e39 is the m5, hands down, but they're a bit thirsty ;) otherwise hard to beat! sport models are great although SE's have good std spec and drive really well (way better and more nimble than you'd expect for a 1.5ton 10yr old car)

b :)

ps.. my current one is a 530d sport and i can't fault it
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

Agree about the M5, I was just trying to keep it slightly sensible :lol:

Anyway the M5 doesn't have a steering rack so the 6 cylinder cars beat it for steering feel 8)
FMAN
DDK addict

Post by FMAN »

Most unreliable car I have had, the coils failed on a regular basis. It had 4.5k of warranty in its 3rd year. The strangest thing is, it is still my favourite car, it was just right.
pmjt
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by pmjt »

Gary71 wrote:Agree about the M5, I was just trying to keep it slightly sensible :lol:

My e39 M5 is completely sensible :lol:

I had a new e39 M5 in 2002, then "upgraded" to an e60 M5 which I hated with a passion. After a few diversions on the way, I'm now back in an..... e39 M5 and I love it so much.

It's the only £10k car which rides like a Bentley (forgive me Gary :wink:), is built like a Rolls (try an E60 or E90, they're crap by comparison) and goes like a bat out of hell. Ok it's not 997 Turbo quick but it owes me as much as my last 911 Turbo depreciated every three months :shock:

P
--
DDK Member #890
seawise
DDK above all

Post by seawise »

pmjt wrote:
Gary71 wrote:Agree about the M5, I was just trying to keep it slightly sensible :lol:
I had a new e39 M5 in 2002, then "upgraded" to an e60 M5 which I hated with a passion. After a few diversions on the way, I'm now back in an..... e39 M5 and I love it so much.

P
i had an E39 M5 as a daily driver back in '03-'05, it was a truely wonderful car which i fondly remember despite several gremlins. the E60 M5 was a backward step, which is why i cancelled mine after i drove a pals. stupid gearbox, chav looks, interior not as solid, just didn't feel special.

also had two e39 tourings an '03 540 4.4 (first owner Patrick Head company car at Willaims F1) and 520 2.2 (station car and dog car) - both were brilliant.

these cars were BMW at their best, downhill since.
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Anyway the M5 doesn't have a steering rack so the 6 cylinder cars beat it for steering feel 8)
think the M5 does have a steering rack, its the 540 and 535 v8 models which came with the steering box.. simple swap though ;)

530i / 528i is a great car, and with sport suspension very nimble.. if you want best of both worlds, find (a rare) one like jasons; 528iSE with factory sport suspension, 17" wheels and a manual box :shock:

anyone else have any other cars that they've gone back to or really really miss for just doing everything?.. only other car I've owned more than once is a w123 or w124 merc; similar thing really, they're rock solid, amazing value, and give you a grin despite appearing fairly mundane on the surface. still not managed to drive a 500E / E500 yet, but its on my bucket list 8)