911 Roll cage: soon for sale: Full cage and rear hoops

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Alan @ CanfordClassics
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

911 Roll cage: soon for sale: Full cage and rear hoops

Post by Alan @ CanfordClassics »

Hi,

We will soon be marketing a roll cage for the 911. One is being fitted in a 69 911 race car at the moment so I thought I would post some pics. The kit will available in 2 types/designs, either full race close tolerance fit or rear hoop only for road cars. Here are some pics of the one being fitted in the 69 car I mentioned. We also have a road car booked in for works which is just having the rear hoop and cross braces fitted so I will also post pics of that once fitted. Anyway for now here are some pics.

Thanks

Alan
http://www.canfordclassics.co.uk
Porsche Restoration & Sales
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Looks good Alan. Do your welds go right round at the top of the B post upright tube and the longitudinal tube along the front side window top?

I've known trouble with competition scrutineers on Imprezas/ custom built multipoints (15 points) cages where their fingers check if the welds go right round the tube junctions.

Only solutions are to remove the roof to weld or to cut holes in the floor/sills to allow the tube to drap down, weld and then push the whole cage into upward position and pass spreader plate under the tube covering the hole and securing the tube in place.

Are these cages for MSA competition?
keith fellowes
DDK forever

Post by keith fellowes »

911hillclimber - very valid point about the welding going all the way round the tubing at the B post. On the Astra rally 2005 or 2006 one of the scrutineers used a mirror to check the welding on the cage of a 911 and found that it in fact was not complete. In order to compete the next day the service crew cut two holes in the roof to complete the weld!! The car had only just been finished and it was its first event.
Alan @ CanfordClassics

Hi and thanks for your replies

Each joint is fully welded as it should be. 911 Hillclimber, please feel free to pop down and come view the cage in person, it would be good to meet up. The cage will also be MSA approved, with the drawings going to MIRA The designer has put a lot of work into this cage and besides the close tolerance and exact fit I like the details he has added, such the profiled roof bars which follow the line of the roof as it cross the door section rather than a simple straight bar or a fold.

Thanks

Alan
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Alan:
Totally agree with the quality. Those kind of details make the cage very nice indeed.

My simple MSA/6 point cage in my hillclimber is from Safety Devices, now gone I think. It is all bolt-in but I spread the tubes a bit to get them as tight to the shell as possible.

A nice trick is to weld a tab to the B post uprights and bolt to the seat belt points.

The fit is very tight, no sun visors etc and makes the car so much nicer to drive though that could be all in the mind...

It went in about 15 years ago after having a close call on a sprint track, and was put to the test at Shelsley Walsh 2 years later when a tree jumped out in front of me.

Is there a horizontal bar under the dash panel?

You are a long way from me but maybe we will bump into each other somewhere!

I think i know personally all of 4 people on DDK!

jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

911hillclimber wrote: I think i know personally all of 4 people on DDK!
I'll have a word with Trish and see if she'll let you out more often................. :albino:

Cheers! :drunken:

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I've changed my mind, I know 3 people on DDK, just deleted one! :lol:

In the modern hillclimb world, the under dash cross bar seems to be a favorite, esp in saloon cars.

Might be a bit tight to a 911 pilot/passenger's knees though.
Certainly no need for a Blue Book approval.
Circuits/ Rally may be different?
hukent
DDK above all

Post by hukent »

Alan.UK wrote:Hi and thanks for your replies
Each joint is fully welded as it should be. 911 Hillclimber, please feel free to pop down and come view the cage in person, it would be good to meet up. The cage will also be MSA approved, with the drawings going to MIRA
Alan
Don't forget to drill holes at strategic points, so the tube thickness can be verified.
Looks a really nice job, well done.
Hu.
Carrera Sport Targa 3.2

HAPPINESS IS KNOWING YOU'RE WELSH.
hukent
DDK above all

Post by hukent »

[quote="911hillclimber"]I've changed my mind, I know 3 people on DDK, just deleted one! :lol:
quote]

If you're competeing at Shelsly this year, we'll meet up as I'll be there.
Hu.
Carrera Sport Targa 3.2

jwhillracer

Post by jwhillracer »

hukent wrote:
911hillclimber wrote:I've changed my mind, I know 3 people on DDK, just deleted one! :lol:
quote]

Competing?

JW
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
hukent
DDK above all

Post by hukent »

jwhillracer wrote:
hukent wrote:
911hillclimber wrote:I've changed my mind, I know 3 people on DDK, just deleted one! :lol:
quote]
Competing?
JW
Unfortunately, No.
I'm an MSA Steward.
Hu.
Carrera Sport Targa 3.2

Alan @ CanfordClassics

Hi,

Thanks for your kind words and comments, I will pass them on to the chap that designed and fitted the cage.

In the meantime we will be fitting a rear hoop only cage in a 73 car (2.5ST powered – lightweight car) in the near future and after that will have pics of both cage sets that will be for sale. The rear hoop is more for road use and leaves a larger gap against the roof so a headliner can be fitted.

Thanks again

Alan
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Hukent:

I rather think the Very Quick Cornishman is questioning if i compete or pop along to have a go! :lol:

I certainly hope to be at Shelesly this year several times, every one in the Lola. The 911 Hotrod will be the fall-back position if the Lola gets away from me (again) :evil:

:drunken:
jwhillracer

Post by jwhillracer »

No - I wanted to know if Hu was competing.
Now it looks as though we're going to have to be polite to him.......... :shock:

Looking forward to the first pint of the season sitting outside the Shelsley Paddock Bar on a warm Spring evening 8)

Cheers!

JW
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
hukent
DDK above all

Post by hukent »

jwhillracer wrote: Looking forward to the first pint of the season sitting outside the Shelsley Paddock Bar on a warm Spring evening 8)
Cheers!
JW
Now that sounds like a plan. :wink:
Hu.
Carrera Sport Targa 3.2