Topical tyre test

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Matt black70
DDK forever

Topical tyre test

Post by Matt black70 »

I found this interesting tyre link on another forum. Makes you think about a second set of winter tyres
http://www.youtube.com/v/GlYEMH10Z4s
Black 70T
72 Beetle 1302s
70 Triumph TR6
Corrado VR6 storm(kindly written of by a friendly police officer)
BMW E92 335D
Volvo V70 D5
Histrally
DDK Fanatic

Post by Histrally »

This just proves that you need a different rubber compound to work at lower temperatures, it is not just about tread pattern.
When Colway Tyres were still going I know they used to produce a batch of tyres for events like the Historic Monte, same traed pattern just a better low temperature compound.
If we had winters likes this more often it would be worth the investment of a set of wheels and tyres for winter.
Jerry
911 2.7 Carrera Rep
Regularity rally prepared (For sale)
Subaru Legacy Tourer
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by MikeB »

Jerry

I suppose the next step would be to see at what point the winter tyres stopped out performing the summer tyres, when we get away from snow and ice, especially as they obviously have a softer tyre compound. I would suspect that it would only be sustained cornering on dry tar where that would happen.

I used to hillclimb single seaters and after an event if you parked the car on the painted garage floor, the sticky Avon slick tyres lifted the paint off the floor when you moved the car.

I used Michelin Alpins on the Fulvia for Classic rallying, and did an event last August on a day with really torrential rain, there was so much standing water on the roads coming home, when I went out to the garage the next day, the car didn't need washed underneath. However the now ultra clean Michelins were stuck to the floor, just like the Avon slicks used to !!
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
Matt black70
DDK forever

Post by Matt black70 »

Mike, when watching the video I also had the same thoughts as yourself. It would be great to see a similar test but on dry roads as it may be a better all round compromise using winter tyres. I notice they didn't mention road noise and rolling resistance which may be factors against their all year round use.

Matt
Black 70T
72 Beetle 1302s
70 Triumph TR6
Corrado VR6 storm(kindly written of by a friendly police officer)
BMW E92 335D
Volvo V70 D5
Histrally
DDK Fanatic

Post by Histrally »

The issue I supect would be that winter tyres would be a bit like wets in F1 they would eventually overheat in hotter conditions. This would lead to high tyre wear and lack of grip. I have run knobbly tyres on dry tarmac when rallying and found that whilst they grip quite well to start with they do overheat in the end and it is then like driving on ice!!
I guess you cannot have your cake and eat it as they say!!
Jerry
911 2.7 Carrera Rep
Regularity rally prepared (For sale)
Subaru Legacy Tourer
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Matt black70 wrote:Mike, when watching the video I also had the same thoughts as yourself. It would be great to see a similar test but on dry roads as it may be a better all round compromise using winter tyres. I notice they didn't mention road noise and rolling resistance which may be factors against their all year round use.

Matt
I used winters on my old 535 for most of the summer, as I didn't get round to refitting the summers I had piled in the garage!

It was fine, but the steering was vague (due to the soft sidewalls) and it distinctly lacked grip compared to the regular tyres. It was very progressive in breakaway, again a characteristic of the soft sidewalls.

However the tyres were showing signs of distinct wear after a couple of months, so you really do need to use the right ones for the job!

With the right tyres you can do anything!!! :)