AV / gaming tech

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

hot66

AV / gaming tech

Post by hot66 »

Question for all you technology geeks ;)

I'm in the process have having a new room built on my house & unbeknown to my wife I think it will make quite a nice place to watch movies / play games 8)

So if you were starting from scratch, what would make a good system to watch TV, play DVD's, gaming system & surround sound + internet access ?

I was thinking basing it around an Xbox or PS3 ?
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Base it around a Mac Mini, I'm watching James May right now on mine feeding a big (ish) Sony TV.

It's also my music server (none of this MP3 crap in my house!) to the Hi-Fi DAC from an external drive via wi-fi and an Apple Airport. You can also put more remote speakers/amps elsewhere in the house you can control it all from your iPhone or iPod touch ;)

Ditch the CD player, the tuner, the DVD player, the freeview box, the video, and never look back! :)
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: AV / gaming tech

Post by Bootsy »

hot66 wrote:Question for all you technology geeks ;)

I'm in the process have having a new room built on my house & unbeknown to my wife I think it will make quite a nice place to watch movies / play games 8) ?
you do realise that down South (read Soho) we have 'clubs' where you can do that sort of thing? Plus they only charge by the hour (some in 15 minute slots) and it works out so much more cost effective. :P
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

Bootsy wrote:

I'm in the process have having a new room built on my house & unbeknown to my wife I think it will make quite a nice place to watch movies / play games 8) ?
you do realise that down South (read Soho) we have 'clubs' where you can do that sort of thing? Plus they only charge by the hour (some in 15 minute slots) and it works out so much more cost effective. :P
yes but don't forget James is a wild northern yorkshire farmer type. so he only need the system for watching countryfile :wink:

(sorry James)
member#1182
Currently Porscheless but on the look out for my 30th
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Gary71 wrote:Base it around a Mac Mini, I'm watching James May right now on mine feeding a big (ish) Sony TV.

It's also my music server (none of this MP3 crap in my house!) to the Hi-Fi DAC from an external drive via wi-fi and an Apple Airport. You can also put more remote speakers/amps elsewhere in the house you can control it all from your iPhone or iPod touch ;)

Ditch the CD player, the tuner, the DVD player, the freeview box, the video, and never look back! :)
but where's the game console ? ;)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

hot66

Post by hot66 »

Bootsy wrote:

... but isn't it classier to have it 'on-tap' :drunken: :lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

hot66 wrote:
Gary71 wrote:Base it around a Mac Mini, I'm watching James May right now on mine feeding a big (ish) Sony TV.

but where's the game console ? ;)
Under the Mac ;)

Only a Wii, but keeps the kids happy, and the new F1 game should keep me quiet (and off DDK for oh maybe an hour or so!)
mullerice
DDK slapper chatter

Post by mullerice »

James,

The PS3 is a good option - the blu-ray player is pretty good, and you can stream music, video etc. from a PC or other DNLA source.

For TV, the PS3 does have a Freeview recording add-on - PlayTV (catchy), but I haven't tried it.

Sorry for the sensible answer ;)

Cheers,
Adam
Current: 2002 996 C4S (2016-)
Sold: 1967 912 (2004-2013)
74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

ps3 all the way.
proper HD player.
super console.
Get a PS3 play thing and its a tv recorder thing.
is also a good media server.

dont buy an xbox, they all blow up.
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

im gonna rock the boat and sugest an xbox360.. they're 1/2 the price of a ps3, they stream anything from a dlna server, as most people have a pc anyway you can hook up to a windows based media server in about 3mins and use the 360 to view, record, whatever seamlessly, the selection of games is better and 2/3 the price, the hardware specs are basically the same, and the notion they blow up all the time is frankly b***ocks :lol: i've got 2 which were both brought brand new when they first came out and never had a single problem. of all my mates who have 360's only one has had problems (RROD which is apparently terminal) and i fixed it for £4 in 45mins.. ..the ps3's strength is that it plays blueray disks which to me is a waste of time anyway with the sort of set-up you're talking about; you can get dvd's for less money and if you REALLY want films in full HD just download at HD resolution and stream from your media server. buy sky+HD and you can now get tv on demand on your xbox, record to the hdd, whatever aswell. a much better centrepiece to a media system than a PS3. i hate microsoft, they're w***ers and their software is comparitively (to mac) s**t but the xbox360 is made of the right stuff

as for the rest of the system, if you're looking to do it on a budget try and track down a spherex xbox360 surround system; its a really nice looking and pretty compact system, and it really blows the windows out. amazing sound quality, loads of bass, copes well with speech, music, etc. really nice piece of kit, but rare as rocking horse sh** now a days unfortunately.. once you've got one of them blow the rest of the budget on a screen!

if you're not looking to do it on a budget and you have the space, let me know i'll build you a 5.1 system based around 12 vacuum tube amps :lol:
hot66

Post by hot66 »

out of interest, PS3 slim 120GB is £199 , Xbox Super Elite Forza special is £250 , so costs are pretty similar for like 4 like at the moment. Xbox does seem to have more game choice though. Currently I have a Wii, but I'm missing playing more serious games, although World at War is good :)

Don't have a PC, we're on Macs here. Music side of things will be purely background stuff.

I'm definitely on a budget .....
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

smallspeed wrote:but the xbox360 is made of the right stuff
:lol:

Hmm, if the right stuff.. phzzzzzt sizzle - its just a question of time ;o)

Sony had to scale back its repair operations because they had no work.

tick tick tick tick phzzzzp
bullett
DDK addict

Post by bullett »

The xbox appears cheaper but it's not once you get the wireless adapter (£50 please) and don't forget duracells or rechargables for the controller (£15 please) and then of course Live Gold to play online (£40pa please).

Most game come out on both platforms, it's only th eodd exclusive that doesn't so the usual option it to pick what your mates have.

I have both (and a Wii) I much prefer the PS3 as an all round entertainment system. A highly regarded Blu-ray, media server (I play music and video and photos via it) and good games.

Although Forza3 is great!
mullerice
DDK slapper chatter

Post by mullerice »

bullett wrote:Although Forza3 is great!
Fortunately Gran Turismo 5 will be out soon for PS3

...no honestly it will be...

I'm sure it will...

:)
Current: 2002 996 C4S (2016-)
Sold: 1967 912 (2004-2013)
dogbower
DDK forever

Post by dogbower »

Hi James
i have had various surround sound system for a number of years and the first place I go is to the magazine stand to read all the latest reviews.
Like most things your budget will decide how good it sounds and looks.
In my experience seperates always sound better than an out of the box system.
So you will need
TV 32" min.
games console PS3?
Surround amp
Speakers - centre, sub, 2 fronts, 2 rears, could also add the other 2 to give full 7;1
cables
Stands for speakers

you should be able to get a good set up for £1500

Music through a surround amp will not be as good as through a dedicated music amp but it sounds like this isnt that important.
Most of my stuff comes from Richer sounds, good advise, price promise, and you can always get extras like decent speaker cables thrown in. They also do a very good warranty.
if you let them know what you are thinking of they will set it up to preview, and I think if you change your mind they will exchange.
Difficult time for TVs as they will change a lot in the next couple of years.

I have a PS3 and, apart from the fact that I still dont think the games are that much better than the PS2 it works very well. Cant comment on the xbox360 but I know when I used to work for Virgin we got lots more faulty xbox back than PS2.

Just seen an ad on TV and sainsburys are doing 20% off consoles at the moment, doubt you will see a better offer as the margin on these is very low, and i am sure they will sell out very quickly.

Dont forget to get enough plug points put in! :lol:
Stuart.
1971 911E
1990 986S