off topic - photo printers for home use??? mindfield !!!!

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

porker914
DDK forever

off topic - photo printers for home use??? mindfield !!!!

Post by porker914 »

Ive recently bought a good new digital camera and the obvious issue of printing the photos now means that my very old printer has seen better days so ive started loking for a new printer!!

What a mindfield. Ive been looking at epson, canon and HP and how the hell do you decide between them?

Any recommendation up to about £200. I do have a preference for epson but only that ive had them before and been happy but please let me know what you suggest especially from a few of the photographers on here. I would only realy print up to A4 as i can get larger prints done anyway. Not too interested in an all in one printer as i only really want to print.

Please make any suggestions.

David
1969 914 now crushed!!
1971 914 now sold
1973 914 now sold
1975 914 now sold
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

Couldn't agree more David it certainly is a minefield out there in Photo printers. I did this a while back and I found looking at the cost of the replacement cartridges a great help in making a final decision.

I've had a couple of Epsons in the past and have always had problems with them. Personally wouldn't have another.

In the end I went for Canon Pixma IP4500 and have been more than impressed with the results it gives.
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

I also have a Canon Pixma and it's great. You can buy the ink (still genuine Canon) online for about half what you will pay in Currys and the like.

If I'm printing out more than the odd snap then I'll take them to Jessops, so much cheaper (and good quality) than buying reams of photo paper.
Nige

Post by Nige »

If you just want to print out the odd photo here and there then you can spend less than half what you have suggested. 6 colour is the way to go and you should get an HP or Epson for about £60-80 easy. I've never been struck on Epson but its what I happen to have at home. I only buy the cheapo refill cartridges and it does decent enough photo print for that.

If you have a load to do it probably easier and cheaper to us something like www.tescophoto.com
porker914
DDK forever

Post by porker914 »

Thanks for all the advice it looks like i may go the canon route although now looking into ink prices now! any recomendations?
1969 914 now crushed!!
1971 914 now sold
1973 914 now sold
1975 914 now sold
jonat127
DDK forever

Post by jonat127 »

I've got an Epson RX800 and it produces superb prints. I have had three Epson printers and never had any trouble with them. That said I have just bought my daughter a Canon pixma MP620 (not what you are after) and this is very good too. I recently learned that a potential problem with Epson's is that you cannot replace the print heads at all. The Canon has a replaceable head, seems like a good idea.
Jon
1970 914-6 conversion
1977 Stag one of the last made
Vauxhall Mokka - Wifes car and unexpectedly good!
VW T5 camper - custom day van conversion
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

porker914 wrote:Thanks for all the advice it looks like i may go the canon route although now looking into ink prices now! any recomendations?

David I've got a Cartridge World branch just down the road from me. Had mine refilled several time with no problems or loss of quality. Good prices too.

http://www.cartridgeworld.org/
Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
tim78
DDK slapper chatter

Post by tim78 »

Morning,
I was looking at the same not so long ago.
I tried using photobox and have now gone off the idea of getting printer. It's a really good cheap service. You get your pics back the next day usually.
On one lot the colours didn't seem quite right so I emailed them and a new set turned up the next day, free.
Worth a try
1968 912
1985 911 3.2
chickybok
DDK Fanatic

Post by chickybok »

Photobox is the way to go.

I've been using them for years - much better than buying a printer.
MdR

Post by MdR »

I can sell you printer ink, it's what I do.
Email me for DDK quotes :wink:
Martin Rogers
+44 (0)7812 167547
'69 Ossi blue warmrod 3.0 911T
[sold & sorely missed]'67S '70 Targa T '75 914/4 x 2
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

jonat127 wrote:I recently learned that a potential problem with Epson's is that you cannot replace the print heads at all. The Canon has a replaceable head, seems like a good idea
I believe there used to be two different print head schools of thought, however I've been out of the printer loop for a while so it might not be valid anymore..

not sure which way around it is but I think on HP printers the print head is built into the cartridge, hence gets replaced everytime you replace the cartridge maintaining the quality of printing over the life of the printer, but increasing the cartridge cost, and meaning that if you refill the cartridges the print quality deteriorates

On epson printers the head is built into the machine and so deteriorates over the life of the printer, however the cartridges are cheaper and can be refilled indefinetely

Some others (sounds like Cannon are one of these) the print head is part of the printer but can be replaced, giving the best of both worlds..

To be honest I had an epson photoprinter about 10yrs ago and used it to death, then passed it down to my sister. She has continued to use it and the print quality is still very good, so I dont think the deteriation is that big a deal
I've recently brought a cheap HP photo printer (6x4) as the only thing I need one for is photographs. It can print from memory sticks directly, via bluetooth, etc., hardly takes up any room, and is very handy! Obviously if you had a need for a larger format printer (word doc's, etc.) then its no good, but if you're just doing normal size photo prints and dont have much space to set a larger printer up then its brilliant! (just wish it could be networked)
Nige

Post by Nige »

I think the print head thing is just which model you choose.

I have a large format printer here at work, its a 6 colour HP with seperate replaceable heads and inks. Over the 4 years we've had it I've only ever replaced the heads once (its tells you when to so) it gets some serious hammer too.
Del
DDK forever

Post by Del »

on a slightly different tangent....

Does the actual "photo paper" also vary? or is it all much of a muchness?

Can anyone with any experience point me in the right direction of what to buy if say i only want to print off upto around 50 pictures no more than A4 size at the most?

I have a canon Pixma basic model but i have heard that they print decent colour pictures. I have never printed photos myself at home, usually used Boots etc, but its expensive for one offs etc.
Nige

Post by Nige »

I've had good result with Ilford paper, tried Kodak and wasn't too impressed. Glossy thick stuff 280gm.
porker914
DDK forever

Post by porker914 »

all interesting thoughts there i do want a printer as i like to be able to print when i need/want to rather than sorting out which images i need printing and then emailing them and waiting for them to return.

still looking for best deals.

david
1969 914 now crushed!!
1971 914 now sold
1973 914 now sold
1975 914 now sold