Tipi's '69 LWB

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

Tipi_dwl
DDK addict

Tipi's '69 LWB

Post by Tipi_dwl »

Hi all, I'm quite fresh here on DDK, and also in the Porsche world.

I've been playing around with aircooled VW:s for over half of my life, that's 16+ years. And I had a plan to own a pre impact bumper Porsche when I was 50y.o, but I was a bit hasty I quess. A friend of mine got him self a '87 3.2 G50 a couple of years ago and that propably set my fuel in fire too.

Fever got gradually worse untill this May I sold my slammed '54 Oval and bought a '69 912. I thought 912 would be safer choice for me as I'm planning on maintaining and restoring the car myself. Plus, I already had some 356/912 engine parts on the shelf.

The '69 was advertised in finnish auto trading website with these photos.

Image Image
Image Image

I've found DDK forum very enjoyable, loads of info here!
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

great looking car..

I see a few things in the engine bay ready for the bin but I am sure your on the case ( Acclerator valve and over engineered fuel filter.)

Looks a great car well done..

keep us posted and post a pic in the 912 section for members cars..

:lol:
popcorn
DDK Fanatic

Post by popcorn »

Nice (nice oval too)

I've also just made the VW to Porsche transition with a '69 912

From this

To this
Tipi_dwl
DDK addict

Post by Tipi_dwl »

Yes, there's electronic fuel pump, which pums throught the original pump, which also was working unit???

Nice DoppelCabiner Shaggy, good luck with Porker. My luck was not very good. The crank pulley came loose and broke after first 25 miles, albeit the engine should have been just restored... It took me 13 hours to get it home as I was 450km away when it broke, and my friend had to come to rescue with tow truck.

Pic's how it was as I got it to my garage.

Well my mate had a spare aluminium 'power pulley' for VW engine, which happened to be the same diameter as OEM 912 pulley, so my other friend turned it to fit with porsche oil seal. And I could drive it for about 250 miles this summer, but it leaked oil a lot from many other points of motor, so pulled the trans and motor out.

More to come soon...
Tipi_dwl
DDK addict

Post by Tipi_dwl »

First thing I did, after putting the pulley in, was removing the black paint from rear emblems and grille. The 912-badge and the P O R S C H E lettering were easy, I just dipped them for a brake fluid swim over night, but the grille was a lot more tricky. I had to disassemble it completely and use paint remover to bring it back to aluminium. Before reassembling the grille I painted the steel mesh flat black. Seems that I have wrong grille, as '69 should have one piece mesh.

Here are some before and after pic's. Yes that's me with the idiotic grin on my face :albino:

Tipi_dwl
DDK addict

Post by Tipi_dwl »

Pretty soon after that I started working on the looks of the car. On some point someone stripped the mouldings. And I hated those US spec. head lights so new Euro H4:s were ordered from Germany. Also new horn grilles and front indicator lenses came at the same time.

Lights on:
Tipi_dwl
DDK addict

Post by Tipi_dwl »

The left rear caliper was getting stuck, heating the brake. So repair kit £5 from local car parts store, and caliper was functional again. By the way, the clerk behind the counter said that I was the first who had asked for Porsche parts from her. It tells a bit how uncommon Porsches are around here, althought she was quite fresh I quess, from her looks that was.

Then it was time put on some more 'chrome'.

Front bumper had to be taken of completely:

And voilá, it was starting to resemble a Porsche:

Here is little comparison before and after:

popcorn
DDK Fanatic

Post by popcorn »

Good work - looking much nicer 8) I haven't done anything to mine yet - just driven it around grinning like an idiot!
Tipi_dwl
DDK addict

Post by Tipi_dwl »

Got me a set of steelies. 5,5" fronts and 6" to back. Will take them all to powder coaters soon. Anyone know about these 6 inchers, why they made these in the eighties, for rallying? Mine have stamps from 1983. 5,5" are from 1967.

912uk

Post by 912uk »

these are the same as the get me home wheels I think so yes later years on there..

The car looks great flex that Credit car but it looks a stunner now well done.. 8)
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

Looks lovely, where did you get the bumper trims from? I'm after some to replace my shrunken usa rubber pieces.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Tipi_dwl
DDK addict

Post by Tipi_dwl »

I've been satisfied customer of this german company:
http://www.mh911teile.de/
http://stores.ebay.de/911-teile
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

That's Maria Habeck - I've bought lots of stuff from her & always been totally happy with everything.
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
912uk

Post by 912uk »

I think I have bought stuff from her back in 2000!!!!!!
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

Cool, thanks for the tip. I'll give her a try 8)
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan