Still not on the road, HELP!

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Steven
DDK addict

Still not on the road, HELP!

Post by Steven »

MY CAR IS NOW FIXED, GO TO MY LAST ENTRY TO FIND OUT WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS.

Hello,
I am still having the same problem that I asked about a while ago. I have done most of the things suggested.

- When I first start the car up everything is OK
- When it is warmed up everything seems OK as well
- However as soon as I put any load on the engine, i.e. by putting my foot down whilst going up hill, the engine begins to miss fire resulting in the vehicle finally losing power all together
- It doesn't back fire it just loses power and refuses to fire on all cylinders
- It feels like the car is running out of petrol
- After the car has been left for a while it seems to improve a little

What I have done so far to rectify the problem.

- New plugs, leads and fuel filter
- Fuel tank cleaned of any debris
- Distributor replaced with 050
- Coil replaced
- Fuel pump replaced
- Fuel pipe replaced a while ago
- Carbs cleaned
- Fuel seems to be getting to the carbs OK, but obviously I can't check this under load
- The Floats seem to be functioning correctly, but I couldn't check properly because apparently you need a special tool?

I was just wondering if anyone had encountered a similar problem. I am running out of bits to replace. When I bought the car I was told not to let the tank get below a quarter of a tank, I was wondering if this is a symptom of something else.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Steven
Last edited by Steven on Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Luke
DDK rules my life!

Post by Luke »

hmmm, the only things I can think of that you haven't explcitly mentioned is points gap, but i assume you looked at that when replacing the dizzy.

sounds like a problem beyond my meagre knowledge :wink:
Porscheless but still aircooled
Steven
DDK addict

Post by Steven »

Thanks for the reply Luke,
the points gap was set when the distributor was replaced. I had to buy a used 050 but bought new points, arm, cap and condensor.

Steven
Bury73
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Bury73 »

What sort of petrol are you using?
73 911 2.4t
Steven
DDK addict

Post by Steven »

I have been using normal unleaded petrol since I got the car, nearly three years ago.

Steven
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Blocked fuel tank breather ? Causes a vacuum in the tank, most likely to starve out when most fuel is being used. Do you get a rush of air into the tank when you remove the filler cap ?
Just ideas.... might help... all the best.
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
Steven
DDK addict

Post by Steven »

Cheers Tim,
I'll put that on my 'to try' list.

Steven
Robster
DDK slapper chatter

Better late than never..

Post by Robster »

If the car idles ok, but missfires on acceleration, and runs out of steam, it sounds like...

Blocked main jet - with engine off pull off air cleaner and push throttle open to max . You should see fuel squirt into the carb throats. If you see nothing come out of one of the throats then sounds like a blocked main jet. Car will idle fine, but as he main jet opens, then it will fall onto three cylinders (i am assuming you are running twin carbs with a throat for each cylinder, but the above applies for all carbs.

Could also be due to a dodgy HT lead between distributor and a spark plug - they can go high resistance over time.

keep us posted..

regards
Robster
Robster
DDK slapper chatter

Better late than never..

Post by Robster »

If the car idles ok, but missfires on acceleration, and runs out of steam, it sounds like...

Blocked main jet - with engine off pull off air cleaner and push throttle open to max . You should see fuel squirt into the carb throats. If you see nothing come out of one of the throats then sounds like a blocked main jet. Car will idle fine, but as he main jet opens, then it will fall onto three cylinders (i am assuming you are running twin carbs with a throat for each cylinder, but the above applies for all carbs.

Could also be due to a dodgy HT lead between distributor and a spark plug - they can go high resistance over time, but appears that you have that sorted.

Are you sure the ignition timing is correct. An 050 distributor has an advance of @25 deg at 2000rpm. If it is too advanced, the spark occurs as the piston is moving upwards. This will actually have the effect that you mention, and can blow a hole in a piston

keep us posted..

regards
Robster
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

For what's it's worth I would go with Robster suggestion. As the car fires up and idles you are getting the three main ingredients of the internal combustion engine, air, fuel and spark. When you put load on the engine one of these is going south. Let’s take it for granted that the air is okay and you seem to have everything new on the electrics so that leaves the fuel.

I hope that you get it on the road soon, I know what it is like to have a car but not be driving it.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Steven
DDK addict

Post by Steven »

Hello,
my car is now fixed (fingers crossed), so I just thought I'd mention what the problem was if anyone else has similar symptoms.

The problem was dirt in the fuel tap. Resolved by removal of the the tank then stripping and cleaning the fuel tap.

The problem seemed intermittent due to the fact that it was mainly effected when the tank was getting low. When this happened there was not enough pressure to get the fuel through to the engine. This meant that the car seemed either like it was running out of petrol, or missfiring as fuel was not getting to one of the cylinders. The new fuel pump helped a little but really only confused the matter.

Thanks to Strasse in Leeds for getting me back on the road.

http://www.strasse.co.uk/

Steven
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Great news Steven, I just hope that the rest of September is good so that you get a chance to drive it.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio