My engine strip down/rebuild

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

My engine strip down/rebuild

Post by bjmullan »

Well thanks to Gary (and Barry) Mike (210bhp) and I finally got stuck into stripping my engine today. The crow’s foot worked great and we didn't have too much problem getting the big nut off.

One stripping problem we had was getting the chain housings off. However after a bit of thought and a confirmation call with JohnM we removed the cam shaft seal and the housings came off.

As many of you are aware I have had a noise from my engine and it was clear to see that the chain on the right side was fouling with the casing. New chains and ramps should solve that problem.

One of the Cam Tower allen key nuts was shot and we have been unable to remove that and so we removed the Tower and heads as a single unit on the left bank. I will now see if I can get a bolt welded to the end or even grind the nut off. I was surprised how easy it was to get the head bolts off and to be honest some of them were not as tight as I expected they should have been. On the positive side all my head studs were looking good.

Once we took the cylinders off we had the biggest surprise when we saw that ALL of the pistons were badly damaged. I don't have my good camera at present but I have taken a couple of pictures using my phone. It is not a pretty site :(

So now I’m in the market for either a new or secondhand set of 2.0T pistons & cylinders. That’s the bad news but it was always my thought that my over run smokey exhaust was caused by my exhaust valves and stems and this may now not be the case. I still have to disassembly the valves and expect them.

Will keep you posted and will also get some better pictures of my sorry pistons.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
58A - 71E
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by 58A - 71E »

Good luck Brendan and heres hoping you make speedy progress :)
James

'58 356A 1600n
'71 911E 2,2

jamie

Post by jamie »

Corrr Brendan - those pistons really are cooked!

Good luck. Only those with big kahunas rebuild their own Porsche motors.
'68 912
hot66

Post by hot66 »

:shock: at those pistons
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Cam Arnott
DDK addict

Post by Cam Arnott »

Brendan

Looks a bit ugly... :(

What causes damage like that?

Detonation?

Cheers, Cam
Cam Arnott
'74RS Replica
1970 911E UK Delivery SOLD
'71 911 S/T 2.3 Twin Plug SOLD
bjmullan

Post by bjmullan »

A good question Cam. The answer is I don't know but I'm sure someone on here will have an idea.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

johnM
I need to get out more!

Post by johnM »

So you did do more than just drink tea then :lol:

The pistons look a little tired, do you have the case split yet?

Regards
John
1970 2.2E Coupe.
2004 996 GT3 mkII
2015 Skoda Octavia VRS TSI DSG.
2021 Toyota GR Yaris Circuit Pack
impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

Yuk, Brendan, those pistons look a bit past their best !
Sounds like you'll have fun with that cam tower Allen nut ! There's always one !!!
It is reall great to get stuck into the engine like this. Some of the stuff Mike taught us went in , but the real challenge is putting it back together !!
Keep up the good work :)
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
bjmullan

Post by bjmullan »

Got the final allen nut off this afternoon with a little help from Ross (german8rcoupe) and his MIG welder and his torch as well :)

It is not my intension to split the case. What I need to do now is remove the valves and expect all the parts before getting my shopping list together for the rebuild. I know that I need pistons :shock: and also chains.
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Looks grim :shock:

Have to say if you've taken the engine down that far with new barrels and pistons then I think I'd split the case and get the bearings done.

All the missing metal from the pistons and the case have been pumped around your oil system a few times so I'd want to put new bearings in there. Just my thoughts 8)

Oh, and the crows foot is thanks to Barry (via Ian and Tim!) not me 8)
58A - 71E
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by 58A - 71E »

Brendan, I'd have to agree with Gary, if you've got that far splitting the case really isnt much further to go - I found spun rod bearings and damaged crank. Also a good time to do the oil bypass mod. Bearings and the bypass mod are not the most expensive bits on your shopping list - you've already discovered them in your photos :wink: :lol:
James

'58 356A 1600n
'71 911E 2,2

davidppp
DDK rules my life!

Post by davidppp »

A familiar situation, sadly..

If you do intend to rebuild it, you have been given Good Advice.
Please don't leave the case unsplit!

Its less than an hours work.

You will need a new oil pump in all probabbilty anyway: and the bypassmod is a Good Idea.

TBH, you now know enough to need to examine the economics quite hard.

I'd be very inclined to buy a complete known good running engine and keep the case from this one to sell with the car.

To get this engine back up and running well done to a high standard is going to cost north of 3K, plus maybe 60 hours..plus plenty hassle chasing down parts etc..

Doing it half well is the wost of all worlds..all the work and no added value..

A bog stock 2.2T is a massive improvement on the 2.0T..really!
Declaration of interest...I do have one to sell!

Kind regards
David
Gary71

Post by Gary71 »

I think he already has a 2.4T in there if I remember correctly :wink:
bjmullan

Post by bjmullan »

Lots to think about and on reflection yes I think it would be stupid not to split the case. When I bought this car 4 years ago it wasn't with the idea of having it a couple of years and moving onto another car. This car is a lifetime experience and as such I want to take my time and do what is right. I really want to do this rebuild but as I'm now looking at double of what I first budgeted I will just have to extend the time period.

So the plan is to split the case and then put together my shopping list and price that up and start getting the parts together. In the meantime I might as Gary hinted put a 2.4T engine to get me running.

Thanks everyone for you advice, but most of all thanks to Mike for laughing out loud when it took of the first cylinder off and saw the state of the piston. That's what friends are for...laughing when you should really be crying 8)
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

210bhp

Post by 210bhp »

bjmullan wrote:
Thanks everyone for you advice, but most of all thanks to Mike for laughing out loud when it took of the first cylinder off and saw the state of the piston. That's what friends are for...laughing when you should really be crying 8)
The sad part is I thought we had hit the bad piston first go but when ALL the buggers turned out to be in the same sorry state I did feel a bit down for you Brendan (still managed a chuckle or two mind you). I have absolutely no idea how that engine got to Le Mans and back without some kind of meltdown. To think the only signs were a bit of blue smoke on the overrun and a chanking timing chain is amazing.

Regards
Mike
996 Turbo (Sold)
73 2.4E (home after 25 years) and Sold again :-(
73T targa (signal yellow project)
1953 Vauxhall Velox
914/6
1963 356B
https://www.mybespokeroom.com/