My Burgundy 69 912

The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Looking good :)

One of the clay modellers from work stores his Mini racer at Coxy's. He mentioned your car was looking fine, even if it is in bits!
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

Gary71 wrote:Looking good :)

One of the clay modellers from work stores his Mini racer at Coxy's. He mentioned your car was looking fine, even if it is in bits!
Tim and I met him at Coxy's last week. He was picking up his 964 cabriolet.

Regards
Derek
1970 911 3.6T
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

OK, I've finally moved forward a little with my progress so here's a couple of update pics.

My engine fully pieced back together.

and back where it belongs once more.

Just needs the wiring reconnecting and the heaters hooked up and we'll be ready to roll (hopefully) :roll:
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Timo

Post by Timo »

Ok I've been crackin on a bit more so here's a quick update.

This is a shot of my n/s front fuch which has been painted like a replica for far too long. I decided it was time I removed the paint from the side walls of the spokes and got it looking like the others. Here it is masked up and ready to be attacked with some 120 grit.

and here it is back on the car. Not fully polished again yet but at least it s a massive improvement on what it was.

So next I decided to sort out my speaker grille. Having removed the wrecked dash that came with the car and replaced it with a muchly improved version the old cracked speaker grille was really looking a mess.

so I sourced some of the original style black vinyl and set about restoring the crusty minger. I clamped up the old grille and used it as a jig to stamp out the hole pattern in the new material.

The hole pattern has come out spot on and now I just need to remove the old vinyl from the grille and trim it with the new material. This is still a work in progress at the mo as I got distracted by other jobs such as...

Lowering the rear end - When I first bought my car it was sporting a very 4x4 stance, I had already taken the edge off by winding the front end down a touch but it was never gonna look right until the rear end came down to match.

So I decided it was time I got rid of the Baja ride height of my rear end and bring the front end down a touch more whilst I was at it. When we started the car sat at 26" front and back (top of the wheel arch to the floor) I decided I wanted to bring the car down by about an inch at the rear and 1/2 an inch at the front. I had worked out how many splines would give me an inch drop at the rear and decided 4 inner and 4 outer splines would be perfect

So I got its rear end up in the air and removed the spring plates being careful to mark up the spring plate position with white paint before I removed anything this way at least I'd have some clue as to the camber and tracking settings come reassembly time.

Once everything was removed it was clear to see the old bushes had ovaled and were scrap so these were removed which was a really fun job! Due to the fact that they are bonded on meant that we had to cut off the majority bit by bit with a hack saw and then the remaining bits were burnt off with a heat gun!
Whilst the spring plates were off we decided it was a good idea to clean them up and repaint them. We sanded them back to bare metal treated the rust inside the splined section with metal ready and then applied a grey etch primer base coat, at this point we were ready apply the satin black top coat when this happened!

This is what happens when aerosol paint cans gets a bit too warm - they don't like it!

So 10 stitches later and considerably lighter from all the claret that decided to fall from my noggin we got the car back together and nicely lowered.
8)
After we'd got the car back on level ground and taken it for a drive it seemed to have dropped an extra 1/2" more than we'd expected so was actually about 24.5" at the rear so we brought the front down to 25" to meet it giving it the 1/2" difference front to rear that it should of come out of the factory with.
Whether this extra drop was due to the ovaled bushes or something else I'm not sure but I'v gotta say I'm more than pleased with how it sits now. Its low enough to improve the looks and the handling without being so low that you loose ground clearance or have bump steer issues.
8)

So finally to the fitment of my new seats last weekend. I had purchased some classic RS seats from Cobra a few months back but had been planning my base bracketry out for a while now. Due to me being a lanky bugger (6' 2") when I had first offered up the seats I'd realised that the seating position was a touch too high, also due to the fact that the seat base tilts back slightly my knees were rubbing on the steering wheel!
I decided the seats would ideally need about a 25mm drop. In order to achieve this I had to get some special Z brackets made to drop the seats down a touch.

The brackets are made from 5mm thick steel and fit at each corner only so as to keep weight to a minimum. I used the slider rails from the old Porsche tombstones that I removed from the car and tied them all together with high tensile M6 socket head cap screws.

I think they look a lot more period than the old tombstones and are way more comfortable and supportive not to mention about half the weight of the old seats. I am working towards creating a full tilting version of the base so as to allow full access to the rear but this is still work in progress at the mo. 8)
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Timo wrote:

This is what happens when aerosol paint cans gets a bit too warm - they don't like it!

So 10 stitches later and considerably lighter from all the claret that decided to fall from my noggin we got the car back together and nicely lowered.
8)
Blimey mate, are you OK? Dare we ask how the can got 'too warm' :shock:
hot66

Post by hot66 »

looks great 8) Pretty much the same height as mine now :)

James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Timo

Post by Timo »

Dare we ask how the can got 'too warm'
You'll have to speak to Derek on that one I'm afraid :roll:

I'm a lot better now cheers, was a bit crazy at the time though. Was feeling quite lucky the next day tbh.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
Timo

Post by Timo »

Cheers James, what height is yours now? Mine is 24.5" at the rear and about 25" at the front.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Timo wrote:Cheers James, what height is yours now? Mine is 24.5" at the rear and about 25" at the front.
I'll have to go & check, but from memory it is now 24.75 at the rear with the front only just over 25 ( Tuthills put in a bit more rake on mine )
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

Hello Timo, Your car is looking better and better. The best 912 I have seen, full stop (maybe apart from that 912R that's knocking around :))
What on earth happened with the aerosol can? Did you need to wipe the paint from the wound also (ouchy)??
James.

914-6 facsimile
rebuild your 911 tensioners
Matt black70
DDK forever

Post by Matt black70 »

If it had been much worse Timo there could have been a lovely burgendy 912 for sale :lol:
Black 70T
72 Beetle 1302s
70 Triumph TR6
Corrado VR6 storm(kindly written of by a friendly police officer)
BMW E92 335D
Volvo V70 D5
Tipi_dwl
DDK addict

Post by Tipi_dwl »

Those new seats looks really nice, as does the rest of the car too!
Timo

Post by Timo »

What on earth happened with the aerosol can?
Lets just say it was a very hot day and a friend had left the can in not exactly the coolest of places, when they passed it me I started to shake it which was enough to make it explode out of my hand and fire into my head like a rocket. We haven't managed to find any traces of the can so where it went after that is a mystery.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
58A - 71E

Post by 58A - 71E »

:shock: Bloody hell Tim that was a close call, I remember picking bits of a gas canister out of a bloke's head a few year's ago when he accidently warmed it up with an acetylene torch, 10 stitches and a drop of claret isnt too bad in comparison

Car's looking 8) btw
James

'58 356A 1600n
'71 911E 2,2

fourteener
DDK rules my life!

Post by fourteener »

Crikey, that's frightening -could've have been a lot worse.
James.

914-6 facsimile
rebuild your 911 tensioners