Should I start my 911?

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

missing my 911
DDK Newbie

Should I start my 911?

Post by missing my 911 »

Hello

I wonder if anyone can offer any advice or wisdom about my 1971 2.2T. My car is in storage and hasn't been started for about 18 months, I'm about to pay the car a visit and wonder if it is a good idea to attempt to start it?

I realise that ideally the car should be run regularly, but as I live in Australia and my car is on the first floor of a factory in Somerset, it's a bit tricky ;)

Is there any point in me starting it? and if the concensus is to start it, then is there a safe starting procedure I should follow? Given I won't be able to start it again for months, is there any point running it anyway?

The car is not taxed and tested so I won't be able to drive it even if I get it running.

Any thoughts much appreciated and I have to say the forum makes great reading.

Cheers

Ciaran
1971 911 2.2 T
The car is in the UK and I'm sat in Australia!
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

Easy sell it to me..

no I will get shot for buying anything else

Ok I can only go from a 912 point of view I have used this method all the time and I am sure it's more than useful for a 911.

Remove plugs and remove the main HT coil lead

I use a suringe to put a oil mixture into the bore eg like 2cc's worth in each plug hole

Turn the engine by hand and this will oil up the bores ( although 18months is not a long time really )

Then crank it with the key on the battery ( couldn't say what condition the battery is in ) and then you need to look fuel side of things.

you might get away with the fuel in the tank but if you can drain out what you can and add fresh fuel that would be best

then check the oil ( 911 is when the car is running ) but I am sure there is a way to just check that oil is in there before yo got for a start

I would then say fire her up..

normal valve noises I would listen out for and if in doubt turn it off..

I am sure some of the 911 boys will chime in as I am not as familiar with 911 motors more flat 4's
Barry

Post by Barry »

Hi Ciaran: personally, I wouldn't run it: would would need to run it long enough to get the whole of the oil system really hot, and the chances are that you would cuase more harm than good, if it's in for further storage anyway (acids in the exhaust and in the oil). You would also need fresh fuel, and a fresh battery.

I'd leave well alone for now, and look foward to when you can run it properly. When it comes to that stage, I would drop the oil out that's in it now: mainly because over time most of it is probably in the sump now, and you won't be able to double check how much you've got, plus you don't want to run the risk of oil being thrown up by the crank.

With mine I did the following:

i) Turn by hand with 19 mm(?) on crank bolt to make sure it hasn't locked up.
ii) Change the oil.
iii) Pull the spark plugs.
iv) disconnect the red power lead from the CDI box to kill the spark.
v) Remove air filter housing and check for mouse nests, also check down each inlet, and check butterflies moving O.K.
vi) Drain old fuel out of tank and replace, put ignition on and check for fuel leaks with petrol pump running.
vii) Crank engine in ten second on, twenty off bursts, until oil pressure starts to show.
viii) Replace spark plugs and CDI power lead.
iix) Start up.

HTH :)
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
johndglynn
DDK forever

Post by johndglynn »

Is there no way you can take it for a spin? If you leave it sitting there for another 18 months, you might have bigger worries than just your engine when you do get around to recommissioning it. If it was me and I could give it a whirl for about half an hour, I would get it cranked up and run it - pull the HT lead, crank it three or four times x 5 seconds, reconnect lead and then take it out, get it hot, exercise the brakes, transmission, tyres etc.

Is there no one reasonably responsible who can run it a bit while you are away? Once insured it's probably cheaper to run it than leave it parked up for three years (in my opinion). I would be in pain if I knew my car was parked up doing nothing for a year and a half. My Coupe has been up on stands for three weeks and that's bad enough so I feel for you!
missing my 911
DDK Newbie

Post by missing my 911 »

Thanks to you all for the starting procedure information, that all seems to make sense.

I'm starting to think that by attempting to start the car I could be opening a can of worms and may unearth problems which I'm not best placed to solve now. I'm coming back home to get married and spending the days before or after elbow deep in oil may not be the start to married life I was hoping for ;)

I wish I could get it going and take it for a quick spin, especially now the weather looks to be clearing up. I think I will just have to pull the dust covers back and imagine it.

If I just leave the car is there anything I should be doing to help preserve the mechanicals.

Thanks again

Ciaran
1971 911 2.2 T
Barry

Post by Barry »

Just make sure the fuel is out, a bit of oil down the bores, and plugs back in. Battery off and out of the car ('spect it is already?).

Plenty of air in the tyres, or up on stands, although chances are that if the tyres already had some age to them, you'll want to put a fresh set on when it hits the road.

Windows cracked open a couple of m.m.s.

Bit of oil, wax or waxoyle over any chrome and anodising.

Can't think of much more TBH. In the last couple of months I've been involved with starting up two previously layed-up cars. One was for two years, the other, five. With the above start-up procedures, both were fine.
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Evil J Guano
DDK forever

Post by Evil J Guano »

I would add that your brakes are almost certainly going to be binding after that long sat, I would check them BEFORE you drive anywhere, even if they seem okay check the temp of your wheels after a few miles, if they are hot then they are sticking, prolonged driving will cause damage to the discs and may even burst your tyres. You may also want to give yourself a pre-mot test too. Enjoy Oz though!
Gavin Joule
missing my 911
DDK Newbie

Post by missing my 911 »

Great advice again

Thanks all

Ciaran
1971 911 2.2 T
wizzman
DDK Fanatic

Post by wizzman »

Just forget about gettin married and spend more time with the car :) best advice I can give
1978 SC -on road, March08
1981 sc awaiting backdate
Mini Van
Mini1275GT
ZXR750
205GTI 1.9
Others.....
911Smonster
DDK addict

Post by 911Smonster »

18 months is not that long! But it all depends on how it's been stored and what condition it was in last time you ran it. If it's been in dry storage and was properly serviced beforehand, then I'd fire it up without too much worry. I'd crank it over first without ignition until it registers a bit of oil pressure. Then go for it, they're not that fragile!
'73 911 2.4S (gone!)