1972 Porsche 911T Gulf Blue with 911E engine *SOLD*

Porsche Cars classifieds (and DDK'ers other cars that need to go in the pursuit of Porsche Paradise!)

Moderators: Helen, Bootsy

MadKipper
DDK Newbie

1972 Porsche 911T Gulf Blue with 911E engine *SOLD*

Post by MadKipper »

Hi......

This used to be Barry's car rebuilt by himself, even the engine! The work was done aboout 3 years ago. People who know Barry, will know his quality of work and he really did excel himself when re-building this little beauty!

Car was originally a left hand drive but converted to RHD. Anything that was past it was replaced, including some bodywork and interior eg, re-furbished dashboard. A great effort was also made to make the car more water resistant by fitting sealed underwing protectors to stop mud and mositure reaching and staying there. Having said, I have never driven it in the wet.

The car has 97,000 miles has always been garaged and her finish is very good indeed! This is a wonderfully light little car with a great exhaust sound. A proper thrill !

Photos can be found at:-
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/190024.htm

Contact Scott on 07918 604234.
Email via: scott.lakey@bt.com
Helen
Events Organiser

Post by Helen »

ooh i would love this..

unfortunatly
no dosh or room in garage at the moment. would happily sell my 964 to gt this 8) but think it'll be gone before i getthe dosh togeather :cry:
74rsman
I luv DDK!

Post by 74rsman »

that is one sweet looking early car.
bargain!
Barry
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Barry »

Someone pointed out that this was up for sale.

Nice to hear that it's still out there and looking the same: needless to say, if anyone wants the low-down, they are welcome to touch base with me, and I can run through any queries.

Good luck with the sale :) .

BTW, this was the spec when I sold it, as I remember it:

New inner and outer sills and jacking points, new (genuine) rear wings, bare metal paint, 380mm steering wheel, 2 gallons waxoyl (literally), Lokari arch liners. MSD ignition (is it still there??), engine is 2.4E running Zeniths, solex cams, new big ends and mains, chains, ramps, rings, seals, new set of exhaust valves, turbo ignition leads, 2in 3 out exhaust (third outlet concealed).

I put it up for sale at a local big classic car show. It was picked as one of five 'cars of the show' out of around 400-500 cars, and it sold on the same day.
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Barry

Post by Barry »

oh yes, and I still regret selling it ....
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
MadKipper
DDK Newbie

Electronic Iginition

Post by MadKipper »

Yes, the electronic ignition is still there as everything else you built Barry. The only additions are a Weltmeister front strut brace and Recaro Bucket seat mounts. The dash has been recovered and looks very good and the door plugs and the correct window wind-ups etc are there now. The finish has been touched up a bit too. She looks as good as ever. I am in Germany and a friend is selling her on my behalf. I don't imagine she will be on the market too long. I wonder who her next owner will be?!
MadKipper
DDK Newbie

1972 Gulf Blue 911T Reduced to 16500 Pounds!

Post by MadKipper »

Well, my Gulf Blue 911 T built by Barry is still for sale so I have reduced the price to 16,500 pounds. If you're interested, get in touch. My friend Scott in Ipswich is going to sell it on my behalf. His details at top of first page.
Cheers,
Dickon

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/190024.htm
jaymatwhit
DDK above all

Post by jaymatwhit »

Could you tell me which gear box it has.

Also a little confused (not hard) as to year, is she 1972 or 1973. I thought 1972's had external oil filler and chrome lamp liners.

Jay
USA Spec 1972 911 2.4Te MFI
MadKipper
DDK Newbie

Post by MadKipper »

Hi Jay,

I believe the car is a '1973' model built and sold in late 1972, much like the new '2008' facelift type 997 911 with LED lights is being built and sold in the last quarter of 2007. She is registered as 1972 and tax exempt.

The gearbox is a later version of the 915 type. This means she is 5 speed and probably benefiting from a better shift. The combination of the gearing and electronic ignition and fresh build of the engine equates to 32mpg at 85mph!

Regards,
Dickon
chrisredhead
DDK Newbie

Post by chrisredhead »

Hi Dickon, I would love to take a look at this car, where abouts are you?
after two 3.2s and a 993, maybe it's time for a change!
Cheers Chris
Barry

Post by Barry »

Just to clarify, I think the car was built (if I remember correctly) late November '72, and is an 'F' Series, 1973 Model Year.

The gearbox is the correct one for the car: i.e an early 915 box with mechanical speedo drive.
ross.mcw
DDK slapper chatter

Post by ross.mcw »

Hi Barry,

Just on the off chance, I don't suppose your restoration of this car is documented anywhere on the web is it?

Cheers, Ross.
Barry

Post by Barry »

No 'fraid not: I'd done most of the work by time I 'discovered' DDK, so it wasn't subject to a full restoration thread.

However, there is a full photographic record of the restoration, coupled with every invoice, that went with the car. I assume that Dickon has got all of these still.
ross.mcw
DDK slapper chatter

Post by ross.mcw »

No problem Barry and thanks for the reply.

Do you mind me asking how long you owned it before selling it on? Or if you know any more about it's history prior to you picking it up?

It looks like a nice car although I'm not sure whether I want one that's been converted from LHD having read about the work involved (although it does sound like you were the right person to do the work!).

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers, Ross.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Hi Ross, I bought the car (I think) in 2003 from a friend that had this one, plus a 1977 2.7.

Both of these cars had gained truly dreadfull bodykits in the eighties, both fitted in Germany. These were both Germany-delivered cars I gather. I know nothing of their histories out there, and only that they were bought as a pair in the late eighties / early nineties by someone who wanted to use them as track-day hire cars.

This was when they came to England, and they both ended up in a barn local to me. Eventually (the story goes) they were exhumed, and taken to a local garage to be put on the road.

They got the '77 running, and apprently struggled to sort 'my' one. At this point the owner's funds ran out, and he did a deal with the garage that meant he could walk away with everything settled. In the meantime 'my' car sat out in their yard, with the carbs removed and lost.

My friend then came along and bought both, and almost straight away sold the (running) '77 straight on. At this time I was struggling to justify a mammouth restoration on my much-loved 323i. A mutual friend came along and mentioned this 911, and within a couple of weeks the 323i had been sadly waved up the road, and the 911 was in the workshop.

As regards the conversion, my own view was, and is, that I wanted a RHD car, and had done RHD conversions on Triumphs several times. This was obviously a much bigger step, but as the car was already (by now) stripped to a shell anyway, it was less of an issue. I never veiwed it as a value-adding excercise, and always assumed that value would remain similar to a LHD car. In terms of actual strength, I'm perfectly happy that the conversion is not a problem, and in terms of what is disturbed, would be more concerned about how something like sills have been done.

Against that, there's nothing like an original car, and this isn't pretending to be one. Nevertheless, it's certainly solid, and should be well preserved for the future with two gallons of Waxoyl in it, plus the wheel arch liners.

Anyway, good luck with your search: if you've not seen the car, it might be worth a look, if nothing else, it'll help you form opinions about what's around.

BTW, if you're looking for a historied car with lots of evidence of previous owners, historical accuracy and correct details, it's not going to be for you. On the other hand, if you're after a nice-looking car which you can use, enjoy, and possibly put your own mark on, then it'll be worth checking out.

HTH