Off topic watch chat for the horologists out there

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

stuj76 wrote:[but also keep meaning to ask Bootsy where he got his auto watch winder
Japan!

Its full now!

This picture is missing my Seamaster and my PD Orfina that I've just bought - obviously the Heuer stop watch and spare straps don't need to be in there though!

1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

hhmmm.. i love those panerai watches!!..
seeing a collection like that makes me feel really crap about lusting after a "cheapie" bell and ross br01-92! :lol:
964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

Oh oh this is a really bad thread for me as I've gone a bit watch nuts recently and taken the collection to about 30.

This weeks purchases include....

a very very rare 1960's mint Tudor..

a new non date COSC Sub

and my first titanium breitling

But nothing still touches my extremely rare Sinn 103 A SA

smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

holy s**t Jason, they're some nice looking watches!.. a friend was just presented a rolex (I think submariner deep sea? ) by the company he's working for.. he works in pipelines as an inspection engineer in middle east, so spends a lot of time diving and things.. he said its waterproof to about 1200m or something ridiculous?!..

im not a big rolex fan, but i do like that one; very plain looking (sorry if thats a bit insulting ) and i also like the fact it doesnt have a date and the little magnifier bit on the glass..
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Hi Ben - the deap sea has just come out and is making all the headlines - its a beast of a watch and as you say I think has the highest ever depth rating. He is very lucky to have got one.

I'm not a rolex fan at all but really liked this non date sub - date auto's annoy me as I change watches all the time so it means having to adjust the date when you put them on and also this has no cyclops as you noticed and so the symetry (i'm sure ive spelled that wrong) is perfect I think.

So i'm glad you think its plain...that was the aim! :)
sladey

Post by sladey »

Mike wrote:Well it was away for nearly 3 months and cost a fortune, but just got the watch back from a service! It looks fantastic, they polish out every scratch in the metal, replace any worn parts, fit new glass, change the oil, reset the timing and pressure test down to 600 feet.

Doesn't look bad for a 30 year old watch 8)
How did you set this up Mike - through your local dealer or direct with Rolex?

BTW - 30 years old - pah! mine's 45
The simple things you see are all complicated
I look pretty young but I'm just backdated yeah
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

yeah he's basically working for some "oil family" over there and is treated like a son by the guy (lucky barstool!). He was basically given the watch because someone told this sheik or whatever that it was the most durable and best diving watch available so decided to buy him one! :roll:

i love functional watches so it really appeals to me; the br01-92 is so plain and simple which is why i love it. I don't really need lots of wheels and dials, just need to know "what time it is"..
just waiting for my xmas bonus so i can think about buying one. There is one in the jewlers opposite lumbers in leic. at the moment; a phantom special edition (which has luminescent black markers) which will hopefully still be there in a couple of months :)

Del
DDK forever

Post by Del »

smallspeed, it's Tarratt's you are thinking of and they are official agents for Bell & Ross. Let me know when you are seriously ready for buying one of these as they are not cheap as im sure you know. PS i wanna see your merc. Saw the thread, its looking fantastic.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

mmmm, Bell And Ross

1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

tarrat's is right!.. yeah they're not cheap, and thats what's making me wait to see what the bonus situation is like this year rather than just blazing in and buying one now :roll:

really like the different colour ones, although i want the 92 which doesnt have date/chrono/power reserve, etc.. the orange is cool, but the phantom in black is amazing!! (although a lot more expensive). Not keen on the light blue ones, but the white on black is great anyway; i wouldn't feel like I was "settling" for that model.. ;) pure functionality, esp. with the canvas strap 8)

ben

ps.. thanks for the merc comments; the interior is still shagged, but give me a couple of months.. bodywork and stereo were #1 priorities and they're done so can turn my attention to suspension and soft furnishings over the winter
Mike

Post by Mike »

sladey wrote: How did you set this up Mike - through your local dealer or direct with Rolex?
Hi Mark, there's a service desk at their HQ in St James Square, where you can drop them off and they send you an estimate.

Or of course there's the new branch office, which was the reason I posted the receipt, but no-one's spotted it yet :roll:
Mike wrote: and the bill.......

cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
stuj76
DDK addict

Post by stuj76 »

Mike wrote:Or of course there's the new branch office, which was the reason I posted the receipt, but no-one's spotted it yet :roll:
! Peckham ! I think that is cool, all those must see places that have a Rolex outlet and then there, towards the end Peckham...

S
1974 - 914 6 conversion
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

rolex of peckham :lol: genius!!
Mick Cliff
I need to get out more!

Post by Mick Cliff »

stuj76 wrote:
Mike wrote:Or of course there's the new branch office, which was the reason I posted the receipt, but no-one's spotted it yet :roll:
! Peckham ! I think that is cool, all those must see places that have a Rolex outlet and then there, towards the end Peckham...

S
Ah! That'll be Trotters Independant Traders in Peckham. Give Del and Dave (Rodney) my regards next time (pun!) you see him :lol:
Merc B Class diesel
Porsche-less
964RS

Post by 964RS »

Well word on the street is the deap sea's are plumetting! Literally.

8-9k a few weeks back now changing hands at 5,500 and dealers are turning them down...will be down to list soon and below by xmas.

Rolex seem to have blown it...just waaaaaay too big it seams