PAINT JOB START TO FINISH

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

PAINT JOB START TO FINISH

Post by Old-Bugga »

THOUGHT YOU REAL DEAL GUYS MIGHT ALSO FIND THIS INTERESTING/OF USE.

COMBINED ALL MY POSTS INTO ONE THREAD HERE:-

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/about5183.html

No you aren't imagining things, the cow did blink!
356boy
DDK slapper chatter

Post by 356boy »

woooo! looking mighty fine :lol:
912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 912uk »

TOP STUFF sounds like you did what I did hear all the bull from the painters and had a go your self any way.... and the result is good...

Black BTW way is a b**ch to learn on and it';s the best to learn on I think... no short cuts other wise your getting it back later on... Well done..

I would like to add this to my web site if you like

Cheers

Mark
abm914
Events Organiser

Post by abm914 »

Nice work fella- the car looks top notch.
nickT
DDK forever

Post by nickT »

Top job, I have also done my 'A' black, brings back good memories, although I won't be doing it again in a hurry !
I did all the same processes but in cellulose, and went striaght in with the G10, results are great !
Cheers Nick.
Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Post by Old-Bugga »

sounds like you did what I did hear all the bull from the painters and had a go your self any way....
Nah....I'm just Scottish and tight as a Midges Chuff!

I've always been of the opinion that, why pay someone lots of money when I could buy the tools and try myself. Makes the end result much more satisfying.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Looks great: there is something nice about working in black, I think it must be because when it's come out well, it's so rewarding, compared to light colours which don't reward attention to detail in the same way.

One thing: you used 2K products: how did you sort your breathing out?
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Old-Bugga
Married to the DDK

Post by Old-Bugga »

Cough...splutter....it's amazing how long you can hold your breath you know! I had a good mask, nor air fed, but well filtered. At least I hope it was or my next resto could be an iron lung!
912uk

Post by 912uk »

A good mask should be fine. I used a 3m organic vapor mask that has two filters.. and it really works

I also make sure I have a very big space to paint in.. like I did my vito van yesterday in an old barn I have the use of.. It looks great now with it's fresh coat of Artic White.. just need to mop it next week..

and I also use my little blower unit as the over spray ( dodgy bit ) is almost nill...

I found when I sprayed in a garage with a compressor and a gun the over spray was horrendous ...... so the risk of harm is high..

I now have a air fed mask...

Yes a big thanks to the guy at Wicked Wheels who popped in to the barn last night to see what all the noise was and he mixed the paint for me as I painted so I had continus supply of mixed paint on the go while I was spraying the van top man.... owe him some beers
Barry

Post by Barry »

I'm not sure whether I would trust any sort of filtering mask for 2K. As far as I know, the problem is not the actual paint particles, but the isocyanites (sp?) formed during activation.

Due to recent law changes, the individual products (paint and activator) no longer have to warn about cyanide. This is because neither product actually contain it individually, it is only formed when the two elements are combined. Therefore it would be easy to look at the products, and assume that they no longer produce cyanide.

Out of interest, I spoke to a doctor who does annual health checks on paint sprayers (another recent law: don't know how often it is applied or adhered to). He said that cyanide, like lead, cannot ever be broken down by the body. Therfore it can slowly reach a critcal point without you knowing. One more increase (that last wing to be painted five years later?) can tip the balance. Symptom of paint / cyanide poisoning can be complete respitory failure, usually half a day after spraying (i.e. not usually during spraying).

I have used 2K for years, initially with a filtered mask (v. bad), and then converted the mask to fresh air:

Unscrew the filter cover and remove filter. Make up plate to blank of intake (two 1/2 - three inches diameter?), with a hole to take 90 degree pipe compression fitting. Clamp fitting to plate, sealing well. Refit plate to mask, and fit hose (3/4 inch ideally) to mask fitting, and run well outside, and clamp down so doesn't creep near paint fumes (mine comes through a window frame, with a filter to stop creepy crawlies wandering up!).

If you've started with a decent mask, the valves work very well, and all you breath is nice cool, clean air from outside: no paint mist, no oil mist and not from some dirty compressor tank either. Having changed over to this system, I now find the smell of 2K paint very strong indeed, whereas I barely noticed it before: I suspect that even though I thought the filter was working O.K., fumes were still getting through, even if actual paint particles were stopped. Obviously if the valves in your mask aren't working well, it doesn't matter what filters you've got, you'll still breath fumes.

BTW, I have also got a full air-fed mask with diaphram compressor, but much prefer the coolness and freshness of the aboce system. Only drawback is the larger hose, advantage is that just as long as the valve condition is monitored, it is safe and takes no air to run.

Also I have seen air fed masks being driven via compressors that are in the same area as the spraying: doh! If the compressor breaths it, you breath it.
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Rustbucket
DDK forever

Post by Rustbucket »

hey check out this for a H+S lesson:

http://www.ultimate-velocity.co.uk/paintwork/index.htm

go to 'the Video'

sit back and enjoy a painters last glorious moments before lung damage ................ :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

jeez.................
Contact me if you have any 356b coupe parts !!!!
Barry

Post by Barry »

:shock:

Must be a future nominee for the Darwin Awards :roll:

or ...

Invisible mask :?:
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

Just been into the gallery... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

They all look like failed props from 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea :shock:

Capt Nemo's got a lot to answer for...
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

cubist wrote:They all look like failed props from 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea :shock:

Capt Nemo's got a lot to answer for...
Don't know what you mean - this is just bitchin, yo gotta get real and start preciating class - check ya self mo fo!

1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
cubist
The Fenland Feltcher

Post by cubist »

Turn the Potterton off Mavis the bloody Reliant Scimiters melting again...

That really is hideously defigured. A real Jodie Marsh of a car.

Er, Homes... :wink:
C U B I S T - 1 1 1 5

'83 Triumph Acclaim - 3sp Auto (cat D)
Singer 3232 - Titanium bobbin, Autothread
'67 Gresham Flyer - Puncture, rear
Sherbet Lemons - 4oz, loose
Motorola - PG 2000, locked