Bob Watson. Six years ago...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Bob Watson. Six years ago...

Post by KS »

We lost you six years ago yesterday - rest in peace, Bob... :(

Let's hear some Bob Watson stories to remember him by...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Mike

Re: Bob Watson. Six years ago...

Post by Mike »

His coffin said it all!

cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

It came up on my Facebook memories today and I recalled some chats with the engine sage
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Spent many a happy time down at Bobs . Became part of my service routine to have a rolling tune up every couple of years .
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I too used to get Bob Watson to keep my mfi cars 'in tune' - here's my last 911 on the rollers at Bob Watson's :

- also seen receiving some attention that day in another part of Bob's workshop :

:wink:
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

I remember meeting Bob for the first time in 1989 after I responded to his advert in the Porsche Post.
I felt we hit it off straight away and I went there and spent lots of money over the years. The 911 history file I have is nearly 2" thick and stuffed with his bills!
Seemed very cool, calm and collected. A very young Paul Brock was his apprentice then.
Pic below is the 911 outside his 'new' place by the Bakery way before Hatch End.

My daughter is now 37...

I bought my 2.4 mech inj engine in 3 big boxes from him and had him set the cam timing after my rebuild, my first 911 engine. He always encouraged me to do these things.
He came to a few hillclimbs as some others were now knocking on his door for cars, notably Bill Cole. This gave him a better understanding of the sport.

When I rolled in at Hatch End with the Lola and it's troublesome 3.2 (my second 911 engine build) he nearly fainted, he was so excited about it and spent hours on his rollers getting it to 261 bhp.
I have long lost the video of the last power run sadly.

He was definitely a good part of my 911/Lola adventures and a pleasure to have known him from his near start to his untimely end.

I felt very proud to be listed in this advert:

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
911MRP
DDK above all

Post by 911MRP »

Sitting in his office having a cuppa after we had done some work on a Porsche Chris Turner (also RIP) piped up told me how Bob Watson first got involved with Porsches. That was the way when I used to help out Sapcote — do some work on customer’s cars early morning through mid-afternoon then wind-down a cuppa natter as he did the paperwork. Got lots of tales from Chris of how it was in those afternoon chats.

On this occasion the folklore being passed down was the genesis of Bob Watson Engineering ;) Chris explained that years’ ago Bob was working for Len Street a Lotus dealer in Chelsea — Len Street had been long-time involved with Lotus way back to their Cheshunt days and in particular a role at their satellite place away from Cheshunt at nearby airport — before the move to Hethel. Around 1963 Street had set up on his own account as Lotus Agent think his place was Drayton Gardens so well placed to serve the well heeled some no doubt on their minds emulating the glamorous lifestyle of the Avengers ladies seen using Lotus product on the TV.

One day Bob had called in to Chris’ place. Chris lobbed Bob the keys to let him try a Porsche 911 — I suppose it would’ve been Chris own car as he wouldn’t have done so with customer’s property. Bob must’ve enjoyed the experience of the visit to an independent and the drive too because not long afterwards he left Street’s Lotus dealership to set-up his own eponymous independent Porsche business. Who knows if Bob was harbouring thoughts of doing it before the visit to Chris or was inspired that day. I suppose this would’ve been in Acton days before the move to Sapcote, Willesden Not sure of exact date Chris was referring to for the visit but I know Chris had started on his own in the Porsche business in 1974 and his forays initially into parts soon evolved to the mechanical side — so clearly was after that date.

My 73 RS has engine work invoices from Bob Watson and he remembered immediately the car and the customer when we chatted about it — there are only about 100 RHD and the customer was memorable character. Bob’s recollection, many years later but unprompted, tallied with the work I’d seen listed in the invoice in the car’s history file. He explained some things that hadn’t been clear from reading the papers alone. Subsequently what Bob recalled was confirmed over a long very liquid lunch ( three bottles of claret downed before finding the free champagne at Bonham's auction ) with the PO/ Bob’s customer when we later met.

Steve
Last edited by 911MRP on Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

When I first went to see Bob about setting up my fresh-from-my-garage 911 he had a black RS Touring, played golf, and did some drumming in a band too.
Before his last days I think Bob had a Nissan Skyline.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Mike

Post by Mike »

This is Bob's Skyline at the Crem to see him off....

cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Am I correct in saying that Mick Temple restored one of Bob old cars? Mick had an interesting story to tell about the experience of buying it. Wish he was here to tell it.

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
Last edited by neilbardsley on Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Yes Neil - that was what Mick referred to as his 'IKEA' car:

https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=39755

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”