All the coolest Porsches are mid engine and air-cooled!

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: All the coolest Porsches are mid engine and air-cooled!

Post by neilbardsley »

Changed the oil to mineral 15/40. Adjusted the gear rod. Now changing nicely upwards but can get stuck going from 5th to 4th. I'm not sure why? The last adjustment I did was to rotate the rod a little anti clockwise as the sometimes it was shifting interested 4th. However, that is sorted now.

Now that I have all the heating ducts present and connected below the tinware it has finally occurred to me that I'm missing the heater blower? I wonder how many cars actually still have them fitted? I found some in the States for about 75 but lots of postage. Will be patience and keep my eyes open

Lovely drive to Leicester and back

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

The heater blower was also a standard fitting on Type 4 engined Bay Type 2's, and I guess probably on 411 and 412 cars as well, so ought to be available through normal VW channels.

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

Neil

If it is operating ok in the 4th to 5th plane, but one is tricky, it sounds like you have found the right spline, but adjusted the length of the rod in the process. It is tricky, because as soon as you undo the nut you have adjustment left to right and fore and aft.

Therefore suspect you may have lengthened the rod slightly, so 5th to 4th is tricky. Given you are so close, time to get a Dremel wire brush on it before you undo the 13mm nut, and remark it with tippex.

Hope that makes sense, easier to do than it is to write down!
Cheers
Wayne
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Going back to the oil pressure sender. I would like to have the warning light sender, a pressure sender and temperature sender

KS was kind enough to suggestion a hose extension so that I can fit a pressure sender to my engine. I would like to to fit the low pressure sender, pressure sender and temperature sender. I found one of these that has three holes. Will this work?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283476068785

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
KS

Post by KS »

A temp sender in that location would be worthless as the oil is still cool at that point in its circulation round the engine. Stay with the factory sump sender.

Here's the complete kit (except for the senders etc) that you need to run a pressure gauge.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284175401098
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you. I didn't know that a slump sensor was an option. According to this thread I need a new plate which accepts the the sensor

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... try1179691

jwhillracer

Post by jwhillracer »

Alternatively, and maybe easier is a dipstick sensor. It's less vulnerable to damage, and worked well for us in our 914/4 and Type 4 engined campers.

JW
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you. Something like this?

https://www.justkampers.com/000001-dips ... vnEALw_wcB

jwhillracer

Post by jwhillracer »

Yes, that’s the one.
JW
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
KS

Post by KS »

Forgot they did those to fit the Type 4 engine!

If you do choose to go the sump route, Boatyard Buses in the UK do some neat billet ally take-off plates to allow fitment of a sender:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401897919262 ... SwOb9d3R0L
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I think I've found a blower but not a fitting bracket. Anyone know where I can can get one?

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Anyone know what these two holes at the bottom of the valance are for?Image

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Blower bracket arrived from the US. I also started to rush proof the rear of the valance.

The blower also arrived and is workingImageImageImageImage

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I can't get the bracket to fit the blower I bought. It does go over the hole and the holes don't line upImageImage

914 KEV
DDK rules my life!

Post by 914 KEV »

neilbardsley wrote:I can't get the bracket to fit the blower I bought. It does go over the hole and the holes don't line up
The bracket you bought is for the 70-72 booster blower which is different looking with two outlets.
The booster blower you have is a 73 model year onwards which is correct for your 73 1.7.
It mounts on the bracket which is located on the left side engine shelf below the relay board using a clamp and a rectangular piece of rubber between the bracket and the unit.
914 Daily driver since 1990