Independent paint inspector

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

den 912de
DDK slapper chatter

Independent paint inspector

Post by den 912de »

Has anybody here used the services of an independent paint expert ,recently had my car bare mettled and sprayed and I’m not happy with the finish ,the “Classic car restores “ say the finish is good for what I’ve paid ,so I’m looking for an inspector to take a look and give an independent opinion
Thanks
1971 914/6 GT replica in Viper Green - #36
1970 914/6 - matching numbers in Adriatic Blue - in restoration in the USA
1970 911 - matching numbers, arrived from the USA, restoration in progress
coomo
DDK forever

Re: Independent paint inspector

Post by coomo »

What are you unhappy about? Quality of finish is largely opinion.Original Porsche paint, was generally,very good in my view.However the only aspect that is visible is how flat & shiny it is.Which essentially means its devoid of "orange peel" Most modern cars are not,as they are not flat and polished after painting.What we call a "gun finish"
Unless of course, the finish is full of crap,ie dust specs etc, or repairs are visible through paint.These are more evident with light colours especially silvers and gold.
Ive "corrected" some very expensive paint jobs over the years.However, Ive also seen plenty of awful finishes that the layman thought was great.With respect,if your not a painter and you think its awful, then it likely is pretty bad.
Bare metal finishes cost more essentially due to labour costs.Thats it.However "classic car" owners tend to pay a premium for any paintwork.Ive winced at some of the prices Ive seen charged.If you were happy with the quote the finish should be first class,whether the cost was 2k or 20k.
Id happily look at it for you,and give you an opinion.However thats all it would be.
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

Hi Brian,

You could try Matt Lawson, he has 30+ years of automotive refinishing experience (including being the paint & body man on Car SOS) & is a lecturer in Automotive Body & Finish at Chesterfield College, he teaches students there, so is well versed with the subject and available for independent reports

DM me if you'd like his contact details

Kindest Regards
Darren
@classiccarguru1
jackstowers
DDK rules my life!

Post by jackstowers »

If you clearly asked for a show winning paint job then that's what it should be. It should be totally flawless. A concours judge from a different circle should be asked to inspect and if he finds any flaw at all then it should be rectified at the painters expense.

In this case I believe at least one employee at the company in this case has admitted that he too can see some of the flaws the dispute is based on.

Darren, you know full well the issue and circumstances here and your biased opinion and recommendation is nothing but unhelpful and inflammatory.
'Independent' doesn't mean someone that is publicly friends with the organisation on one side of a dispute.
David

1973 914 zambezi green
1972 911T (lhd 71E engine)sadly sold
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

Hang on, no need to turn this into something it isn't

Granted there is far more to this than you or anyone need to know.
My post was not intended to offend anyone, it was a genuine suggestion
The fella is independent, he is VERY well respected, he teaches & lectures the subject & advises on ALL makes of vehicles for TV restorations & gets flown around the world doing this.
His reputation is such that he's known to many businesses and maintains his integrity when it come to his assessments.
He is independent in the sense that he has no bias towards who pays for the assessment, he just gives an opinion on what he sees.
@classiccarguru1
jackstowers
DDK rules my life!

Post by jackstowers »

Darren C wrote:Hang on, no need to turn this into something it isn't

Granted there is far more to this than you or anyone need to know.
My post was not intended to offend anyone, it was a genuine suggestion
The fella is independent, he is VERY well respected, he teaches & lectures the subject & advises on ALL makes of vehicles for TV restorations & gets flown around the world doing this.
His reputation is such that he's known to many businesses and maintains his integrity when it come to his assessments.
He is independent in the sense that he has no bias towards who pays for the assessment, he just gives an opinion on what he sees.

Don't tell me to hang on!!
You are directly involved and have chosen your side very clearly in this so it would be better morally if you don't get publicly involved on here unless you want me to publicly post details of your involvement and give details of how independent you and your paint guru are in this matter
David

1973 914 zambezi green
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

David,
No ones chosen any sides
I'd politely request that you don't get involved with something that you do not know the full details of.
I am if anything trying to protect both sides here
You do not know, and dont need to know whats going on here
Lets all be civil please
@classiccarguru1
jackstowers
DDK rules my life!

Post by jackstowers »

Stop patronising me. I unlike you have no commercial relationship with either side in this.
You know exactly why you posted your initial helpful recommendation. He has already been engaged by one side of this dispute and you also know full well you were being a smart arse and provoking Brian.
Good luck when you bump into the 914 crowd in the future
David

1973 914 zambezi green
Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

David,

Please do not get involved in something that you do not know the details or circumstances or what was said & done

Please do not make assumptions on half truths

Like I said I am trying to protect both parties

I DO NOT have any commercial interest in this matter.
For clarity to those who are reading this blind & wondering what is going on here, I am simply working in the same building on my own projects while all this has gone on and have seen both sides and tried to step in as a peacemaker
I have been asked to work on the vehicle in question FOC and have put many hours of my time into both that are un paid

Please don't threaten me David
@classiccarguru1
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Sounds like this is an argument to have off of DDK to me - thanks
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
jackstowers
DDK rules my life!

Post by jackstowers »

Bootsy wrote:Sounds like this is an argument to have off of DDK to me - thanks
No problem
David

1973 914 zambezi green
964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

Pity that was just getting interesting :lol:
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

Darren C
DDK rules my life!

Post by Darren C »

Thanks Bootsy

David, I am offering you the opportunity to come inspect the car yourself (subject to Covid Track & Trace social distancing etc) on your own with free access around the car, and access to photos of the requested & completed work, so that you can understand the situation first hand off the forum.
DM me if you'd like to accept
@classiccarguru1
milhouse914
DDK addict

Post by milhouse914 »

I am in complete agreement with David, if a friend is getting shat upon - you stick up for him.
1971 914/4
1979 930
1985 928s2.5
2002 Golf 25th GTI
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

Do we need to call in Jackie Weaver to assist?

By the way here's a picture of a Porsche...