4 stud to 5 stud conversion

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

65deluxe
DDK Fanatic

4 stud to 5 stud conversion

Post by 65deluxe »

Hi Guys ,
Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a supplier for front discs that are 5 stud with studs fitted and also rear as well .
I am just about to strip the rear to see what hubs I have , hopefully early with both 4 and 5 stud mouldings .
I’m in the UK and would be grateful if any help in supply and what I need .
Thanks in advance and stay safe
65deluxe
DDK Fanatic

Re: 4 stud to 5 stud conversion

Post by 65deluxe »

Quick update .
Taken discs off etc and I have 4 stud hubs - no moulding for 5 which I was expecting as it’s a fairly early car
Anyway I will need those as well unless anyone has a way around that
stevenery
DDK Fanatic

Post by stevenery »

It's possible to drill your existing hubs, but you'll ideally want to add some bosses to increase the thickness. Have you reviewed this thread? It covers pretty much all you need to know regarding a five stud conversion.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728
65deluxe
DDK Fanatic

Post by 65deluxe »

stevenery wrote:It's possible to drill your existing hubs, but you'll ideally want to add some bosses to increase the thickness. Have you reviewed this thread? It covers pretty much all you need to know regarding a five stud conversion.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=105728
I’ve had a look at that in the past and again over weekend - seems to go from idiots guide in stage one and then professionals overview in stage 2 . Maybe I’m over reading it .
If I can work out exactly what I need I would rather go for the 911 bits as far as spindles and brakes go
But not bothered about rack and torsion arms .
There are pictures of struts that are lowered in there and again that has aided my confusion on the matter .
I guess I’m after a step by step of this option . If there is one .
Thanks so much for posting , it’s very much appreciated
stevenery
DDK Fanatic

Post by stevenery »

No worries, for the front I acquired some early 911 struts, backing plates, hubs, discs, and Alfa GTV 6 callipers. Will use 911 front dampers and 914 rear. If the cost wasn't so high, then I'd use bolt on 911 parts for the rear five stud conversion too. Will only ever have a tuned type 4 engine so this setup should be fine. Regarding the rack and torsion arms, my understanding is there's little difference when compared to early 911 parts.
swb100
Married to the DDK

Post by swb100 »

Morning, having done the conversion recently I have a good understanding of the interchangeability of all the parts and am happy to talk you through it. I can also supply you with most of the bits. Favourite is to give me a call on 01483 280736 and have a chat. Cheers, Glynn.
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

We have a jig and the studs to convert the rear hubs if you need help going that way.
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..