Getting a car that isn't a 911

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Getting a car that isn't a 911

Post by Sam »

I am actually a road man. But I am not actually getting a 599.

It was so fast. The quickest thing I’ve had before is a 996 GT2, which I thought went well but the 599 is on another level from that.

It’s a cliche but I think it’s just too quick for road use, it’s so soon into 3 figure speeds and so comfortable at them you want to drive everywhere at 120mph.

As I suspected I also missed the interaction of a manual box.

I want something more B-road raggable.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Sam wrote: I want something more B-road raggable.
like a 205?
Sam

Post by Sam »

Or a 964.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
hot66

Post by hot66 »

in moments of clarity .. i keep coming back to what I enjoy driving on a good B-road blast ( north yorkshire style b roads with no stand still traffic) and as much as i like the idea of some of the fast modern machinery .. what I really require is a narrowish car , compliant-ish suspension , lots of steering feel and the abilty to feel what all tyres are doing & then something with enough grunt to be able to nip past dawdlers yet not so powerful you can't red line the car and work the manual gearbox between cars. I need to feel like I've 'worked' a car .

Ultimately that means you're realistically looking maybe pre 2005 ? ( maybe 996 was last porsche to fit the above )
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

hot66 wrote:in moments of clarity .. i keep coming back to what I enjoy driving on a good B-road blast ( north yorkshire style b roads with no stand still traffic) and as much as i like the idea of some of the fast modern machinery .. what I really require is a narrowish car , compliant-ish suspension , lots of steering feel and the abilty to feel what all tyres are doing & then something with enough grunt to be able to nip past dawdlers yet not so powerful you can't red line the car and work the manual gearbox between cars. I need to feel like I've 'worked' a car .

Ultimately that means you're realistically looking maybe pre 2005 ? ( maybe 996 was last porsche to fit the above )
Absolutely spot on. The definition of an air cooled 911.
The force is strong in this one ......
Mike

Post by Mike »

Or a dry sumped carburetted 308GTB....
cheers, Mike.

previously..
1994 968 Club Sport Riviera Blue
1994 993 C2 Carrera Riviera Blue
1972 911S to Martini RSR Prototype Spec
1973 911E to RS Lightweight Specification
1981 924 Carrera GT ex Mexborough car
3.2 Carrera Sport x2
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

-

- about the only car mentioned in this thread that I can see the appeal of ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
map
DDK Fanatic

Post by map »

hot66 wrote:in moments of clarity .. i keep coming back to what I enjoy driving on a good B-road blast ( north yorkshire style b roads with no stand still traffic) and as much as i like the idea of some of the fast modern machinery .. what I really require is a narrowish car , compliant-ish suspension , lots of steering feel and the abilty to feel what all tyres are doing & then something with enough grunt to be able to nip past dawdlers yet not so powerful you can't red line the car and work the manual gearbox between cars. I need to feel like I've 'worked' a car .

As a suggestion look at pre-2003 cars and you can still find a Porsche without stability management and the like. They’ll have ABS and Airbags but not necessarily the other stuff.

As you know I have a 2001/2 986 Boxster but I also have an ‘82 SC - clearly there are major gains comparing the 986 to the SC in terms of refinement however there is - too me at least - a clear link in their DNA.

An early 2.5 986 that’s got fresh properly setup suspension/brakes and maybe a lightweight flywheel with a LSD and I think you will find you get very close to experiencing the “worked car” you describe.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Sam wrote:... so it doesn't need to be a tactile, sensory marvel for a Sunday blast.
Sam wrote: I want something more B-road raggable.
I feel a sense of confusion in the requirements definition for this project :lol:
mycar

Post by mycar »

Sam wrote: Just about fit a bicycle inside without complete disassembly.
:)
richkaz
DDK rules my life!

Post by richkaz »

Sam wrote:I am actually a road man. But I am not actually getting a 599.
As I suspected I also missed the interaction of a manual box.
I want something more B-road raggable.
King of the 'B' roads, with room for the mother in law and a folding bike.

“Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three
decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good "..

1971 911 2.2T sold
1970 911 2.2S Sold but remains within DDK
1959 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe
Sam

Post by Sam »

I’m going to end up with another 911 aren’t I? :(
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

You've already got one of those ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
mycar

Post by mycar »

Life can be so cruel.
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

An air cooled 911 is fast enough to be fun and can be red lined every time you drive it. It is nimble and agile and able to go down narrow roads at speed without too many worries and it makes a lovely noise.

It has 2 occasional seats in the back so kids can come along for the ride or it can also accommodate a bike in the back. A Targa may even allow you to put one in without even taking the wheels off if you leave the roof off.

In the front boot there is loads of room where you might be able to fit another bike or at least a couple of bags and loads of beer - just look at what gets taken to CLM in them.

Unlike modern cars it still looks like a car mechanically and unlike other supercars it can be worked on by anyone with half an idea of what to do with a spanner and it doesn't need you to do much to it from year to year. You can leave it alone for months and then get in it and drive off the south of France without doing anything to it other that putting in fuel.

Unless it is MFI it is fairly economical and if it is old enough it is cheap to insure and tax.

If you want you can paint it stupid colours and if you have to sell it you will probably get a lot of your money back.

Get real. The 911 is a fabulous car and just what you need. I would recommend a 964 Targa in purple for you.

Having said all that I would love to have a go in all sorts of cars but I don't want to own them.

Oh and good luck with your quest - keep going it is good for DDK.