Chris Flavell ...

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

BILLY BEAN
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: Chris Flavell ...

Post by BILLY BEAN »

I have known Chris for almost five years and for the last three talked to him at least once per week. Like all of us he had his faults and frailties and could be frustrating to deal with. However, he was an extremely intelligent person with clear and cogent views on most subjects outside of Porsche. We discussed politics, education, engineering, classic Porsche, and topical issues amongst other things. A great character. Chris had a doctorate in metallurgy and had been both a chief sales engineer and managing director of sophisticated test engineering companies. As has been said in other posts he enjoyed the challenge of re-engineering parts and had a great facility in sourcing the right people to make things for him or source obscure small parts for 911s.

We had things in common both being born in the WestMidlands into very working class families, managed to get into higher education, both held good positions in manufacturing with an interest in engineering and were of a similar age. Both of us were carers for our elderly mothers. I suppose these commonalities tied up together in some small way.
Although engaging in conversation and always sociable Chris told me he had few friends which was a surprise to me. He had lost interest, a little, in his business in the last year or so but the departure of his associate seemed to have given him a temporary up lift.
Chris did not enjoy good health with severe gout and arthritis which crippled his hands and his ongoing medical conditions made him prone to other medical issues.
He sent me a "good bye" text late in the night which I did not pick up until morning when I woke up. I can not imagine his desperation to take his own life.
Chris' 92 year old mother has two sisters, I believe and he did not have any children of his own.
The police were at Fenn Lane where they conducted interviews in order to try and find Chris who had left a long note on the premises. He apologised for what and whom he had left behind. Courteous and thoughtful even in his last words. The doors of the business were secured and will remains so I think for some time.
Chris had a great deal to still contribute to human capital.
I will miss our conversations.
Last edited by BILLY BEAN on Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rust Never Sleeps
chris68
DDK slapper chatter

Post by chris68 »

Oh no, so very sad to read this. What a solid, knowledgeable and respected chap. A great loss to the Porsche community and like many here, I just wish there was something I could have done to help.

Rest in peace Chris. A good man.
'68 swb 911L
'62 Lotus 22
100cc Historic Karts
chris68
DDK slapper chatter

Post by chris68 »

If anyone has information on the funeral service for Chris, please post it here (with permission of the family). I'd like to pay my respects if allowed.
'68 swb 911L
'62 Lotus 22
100cc Historic Karts
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Tragic that this could come about esp as he said he only had friends on-line, but look at the care and respect on here by those who did actually see and engage with him.
His mother must be devastated, no parent should have to bury a child.

Hope we can have the funeral details.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Berny
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Berny »

So sad what more can I say , such a knowledgeable guy.
1971 Targa Sportomatic in Green 1972 2.4e sunroof coupe 1990 964 C2 Member no 82
Nick Moss

Post by Nick Moss »

RIP Chris. I have known him for 15 years or so, and his technical knowledge was unmatchable.
Nick Moss - early911.co.uk - Fuchs refurbishment
07980 017994
nick@early911.co.uk
Brookesy
DDK Fanatic

Post by Brookesy »

A sad and tragic loss, as others have said already I shall miss those "quick" visits and calls for advice that were so rich in invaluable advice and the enthusiasm to chase engineering perfection.
Rest easy.
Nike Mk7s/Porsche
931 (to my daughter)
996 C4S (sold)
Aston Martin V8 Vantage (subtle beast)
Triumph Thunderbird Storm
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

That’s very sad news indeed. I met Chris once and he certainly left an impression - knowledgable and happy to share what he knew. I can only imagine what demons he was dealing with to end up in this position.

RIP
The force is strong in this one ......
pht9
DDK forever

Post by pht9 »

extremely sad news, RIP Chris
coomo
DDK forever

Post by coomo »

Jesus F****** Christ.Id just made arrangements to collect some parts from him.Happening far too frequently to men of a certain age.Like to know what drives it.RIP Chris.
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

Brookesy wrote:A sad and tragic loss, as others have said already I shall miss those "quick" visits and calls for advice that were so rich in invaluable advice and the enthusiasm to chase engineering perfection.
Rest easy.
Agreed, no such thing as a quick visit but always educational. I was on may way home once and stopped off to ask Chris about something. I’d been there a while when I got a call from home as the family had been tracking me and called to ask “why I hadn’t moved from some Porsche place in the middle of nowhere...”. Rest, but whilst you are there pass on more knowledge to anyone you meet
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

coomo wrote:Jesus F****** Christ.Id just made arrangements to collect some parts from him.Happening far too frequently to men of a certain age.Like to know what drives it.RIP Chris.
They why question often isn't hard to figure out. We all must know that work, businesses, families, relationship, money or our projects can all cause stress.

I also think that social media plays a part, in that Facebook and the like has pretty much killed off social phone calls. Paradoxically now it is easier than ever to get hold of people, we actually meet face to face much less. Its much harder to meet up with mates in the pub when we are all scattered around the country, and if you have a young family, then getting out of the house can mean weeks of planning, and in the end you just don't bother any more.

One of the things I'm goint to try and do this year is actually spend more time with the people I wan't to spend time with.
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
coomo
DDK forever

Post by coomo »

Kneeslider wrote:
coomo wrote:Jesus F****** Christ.Id just made arrangements to collect some parts from him.Happening far too frequently to men of a certain age.Like to know what drives it.RIP Chris.
They why question often isn't hard to figure out. We all must know that work, businesses, families, relationship, money or our projects can all cause stress.

I also think that social media plays a part, in that Facebook and the like has pretty much killed off social phone calls. Paradoxically now it is easier than ever to get hold of people, we actually meet face to face much less. Its much harder to meet up with mates in the pub when we are all scattered around the country, and if you have a young family, then getting out of the house can mean weeks of planning, and in the end you just don't bother any more.

One of the things I'm goint to try and do this year is actually spend more time with the people I wan't to spend time with.
Understand your point.However does social media really impact adults? I for one have no care about it.Then again im a man of a certain age.Im sure though it has eroded our ability to create meaningful human contact and bonds to some degree.Three of my family have taken their own lives.Long before social media or even the internet existed though.I heard a statement on I think LBC this week.It came from a ex CEO of Apple.The jist was when Facebook was being created, they fully understood the impact it was going to have.Eminent mental health experts warned them of the likely consequences.They continued regardless.The guy who resigned couldnt live with aiding the potential impact, and walked away.
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

Is this him?

twitter link deleted.
Last edited by IanM on Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nige

Post by Nige »

No, Chris was late 50s/60 something.