964 Tiptronic - to be avoided at all costs ?

A place for Impact Bumpers, 964 and 993 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

DustyM
I need to get out more!

Re: 964 Tiptronic - to be avoided at all costs ?

Post by DustyM »

There are a lot more posts on here each day than other forums I follow. 24 topics posted in during the last 24hrs.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
964RS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 964RS »

I've had two 993 Tips (not really from choice).

Wouldn't buy one and was under the impression they were a nightmare to change to manual, or is that C4 to C2, sorry I don't know $hit when its technical crap....they were horrible to drive though.

Bootsy didn't get the BJ he was promised today so is being a grumpy old fart.... :lol:
----------------------------------------------------
Jason
https://www.SweepingHand.co.uk
Rolex & Omega Watch Purchases & Sales

anglophone1
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by anglophone1 »

DustyM wrote:There are a lot more posts on here each day than other forums I follow. 24 topics posted in during the last 24hrs.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jon has it- way more activity here than anywhere else- in spite of the WA / Instagram groups out there.
Clive
West Cork, Ireland

RGruppe #814
1978 SC/1984 3.2 Outlaw -Jaffa 911
1973 914 - on Webers - historic rally car- Tango 914
1977 924 2.0 on Webers street legal race car - Martini 924
Flachbau -in progress
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I bought one to run when I broke my foot and ankle a few years back. It did that job, but it was ghastly really. Horrid box made the whole car feel lazy rather than sprightly. I do a lot of miles in my VW Touareg auto, and like it, but that's just toodling to eat up my big mile commute. Using a slushbox and trying to hustle it along is horrid. Just like the 964 tip.

So my view is yes, avoid at (almost) all costs!

Graham
PorscheBarry
DDK Fanatic

Post by PorscheBarry »

I had a Japanese import tip, did a few DDK trips one to Spa with night time track laps and forest runs organised by James (Hot66) could not fault the box, in towns left it in auto very relaxing no effort in the hills and forests put into tip and the car handled perfect Reving to the red line keeping up with the crowd with the benefit of protecting both engine and box by auto changing when trying to hard. Thereafter brilliant for daily runs to the supermarket.
Definitely a good system whether driving leisurely or spirited and one of the cheapest forms of getting into 911 ownership.
Lightweight_911

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Thanks Barry - it's good to hear an alternative opinion ...

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
Boydyrs
DDK forever

Post by Boydyrs »

I must check the performance stats on manual v tip sometime?
Boydyrs
DDK forever

Post by Boydyrs »

Quick search turned up this thread with quite a few more but lots of interesting stuff within re road track and flexibility of tip box. Add in some engine, suspension, steering wheel mods, as most do wi5h C2 manuals and could be interesting!
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/4 ... ual-3.html
andytat
DDK forever

Post by andytat »

Back in 1995 when I first moved to Singapore with Ruf Automobile South East Asia
Jurgen Barth came over to run a driver training program for the Singapore Porsche
importers at the Johor circuit, Pasir Gudang. The friday happened to be an open
test day for the PCHK Porsche race series. Herr Barth took me for a ride in a customers
964 C2Tip and was quicker than most guys in their 964 Cup cars running slicks!
I know that was pretty much all down to the drivers ability but it certainly made me
look at tips in a different light. Just a shame they were stuck with 4 gears.

Andy
Now Porsche less and sad.
3.2 Carrera Speedster (Sold and sorely missed)
3.2 Manual Cayenne (Sold)
73 2.4S (Gone to Singapore)
75 3.0l 914 (Sold)
Sam

Post by Sam »

If it’s lap times Andy is chasing I don’t reckon a 964, tiptronic or manual, is the car he’s looking for. There are countless others for half or a quarter or a even an eighth of the price that will be quicker.

I don’t think Andy is chasing lap times.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Boydyrs
DDK forever

Post by Boydyrs »

Sam don’t think lap times was the point. Thread start was asking re capability of tip and seems that with fettling Tip can offer rewarding challenging drive as Opposed to std negatives?
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

So interestingly, I've not owned a manual 964, so my thoughts of the tip version feeling cumbersome and lazy might be endemic anyway!

And for me, lap times and track comparisons aren't relevant to road driving. But it's all personal taste I'm the end.

Graham
Sam

Post by Sam »

Boydyrs wrote:Sam don’t think lap times was the point. Thread start was asking re capability of tip and seems that with fettling Tip can offer rewarding challenging drive as Opposed to std negatives?
Talking about performance, suspension mods etc is only relevant if Andy is happy driving an auto as his fun car.

For me, the act of manually changing the gears is such a part of the physical mechanical enjoyment of driving for fun that if I’m out for a strop I’d rather be in a manual 120bhp 911 than an automatic 500bhp 911.

Others feel differently, as Graham says.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
kitesurfer2
DDK forever

Post by kitesurfer2 »

The main reason auto boxes don't work with 911's is the fact that so much of the characteristic 'Feel' of the car comes from the direct relationship between the throttle and the poise and balance of the car.
The same thing applies with Turbo models, there is not the same razor edge feel that occurs when the car is balanced on the accelerator when cornering.