Twinplug isolator switch

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

glovebox
DDK slapper chatter

Twinplug isolator switch

Post by glovebox »

Hello All, so I’m running a twinplug setup Perma Tune in my 914.
The other week I was getting a bad miss fire and was hard to find the problem as it ticked over fine but under load you could feel it missing.
So I was thinking of adding 2 isolating switches to each 3 pin box. So I could just turn off the top or bottom. The boxes are not fixed in the easiest place too just pull off the connectors.
Anyone else done this ? If so is it just a simple case of adding a switch in between the ignition live wire before it reaches the box?

Your thoughts please
Best regards Mark.

ImageImage
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Twinplug isolator switch

Post by Nine One One »

There was this on the Pelican Forum some time ago..........which had updates from Permatune themselves and how bad earths can cause issues, may be worth a read if any help?
Ian

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche- ... ion-4.html
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Only just seen your question Mark.

I've used dash-mounted (Bosch) pull switches to isolate the ignition circuits on each of the twin-plug engined cars I've owned.

The last one was my 904 replica in which I utilised 2 x MSD boxes & 2 x ignition coils - the dash switches being wired in the feed from the ignition switch to each coil.

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
glovebox
DDK slapper chatter

Post by glovebox »

Lightweight_911 wrote:.

Only just seen your question Mark.

I've used dash-mounted (Bosch) pull switches to isolate the ignition circuits on each of the twin-plug engined cars I've owned.

The last one was my 904 replica in which I utilised 2 x MSD boxes & 2 x ignition coils - the dash switches being wired in the feed from the ignition switch to each coil.

Thanks Andy,
Yes I contacted Perma Tune who were very helpful and fast to respond.
So a couple of switches are ordered and they recommend to put a diode in-line between the cdi boxes and the dizzy.

Many thanks
Mark.