Vehicle trackers

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

VCG
DDK Fanatic

Vehicle trackers

Post by VCG »

Hello, I have been thinking about this for a while and as a member of Brooklands Museum I came across, in their magazine, a company providing tracking services, www.mtsltd.com/index.html, owned by fellow members, so I took the opportunity to try one of their car trackers.
As fellow classic car enthusiasts they are great and easy to deal with, they weren't sure whether it would work on my 6V system but said give it a go and if doesn't work we can try a voltage step up gizmo (Technical term) and if it's still no go just send it back and we'll give you a refund.

I installed it, couldn't be easier, 2 thin leads to +ve and one to -ve, for the test I simply used blue tack to stick the little box, a little big bigger than a credit card & about 5mm thick, inside the boot under the nose and went for a run, looked up the tracker on line & hey presto there's my route, brilliant. I used the car again to go somewhere and checked the track & it's all there with pinpoint accuracy including where and how long the car was stopped. I can't rate this highly enough and great value, buy the little box and pay a monthly fee for the tracking service. I'm Going to get one for my normal car.

I posted this on the Registry forum & there was a great suggestion that it might help with insurance I'm going to ask & I'll let you know.

As an aside Brooklands is a great place to visit and the membership is great value as well.
Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Vehicle trackers

Post by Ashley James »

I could get insurance for my 718 without a Tracker and it had to be one approved by Porsche and the insurance company. It wasn’t cheap but it tells me where my car is, how miles it has done, the tyre pressures, how much fuel there is in the tank and let’s me blow the horn of flash the lights if `I can’t find it.

If the car is stolen I have to phone Porsche and they disable the car and if necessary can even deploy the airbags.
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

Would your tracker work on a 356 Ashley ?
Ashley James

Post by Ashley James »

mycar wrote:Would your tracker work on a 356 Ashley ?
I don’t understand how it works, but, now you’ve mentioned it, I’m guessing it taps into the car’s computer, so no.
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

I have a tracker that can remotely disable the 356.......
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Winston Teague wrote:I have a tracker that can remotely disable the 356.......
Please could you share details?
Many thanks, Richard.
VCG
DDK Fanatic

Post by VCG »

Asked Footman James no change to cost of policy.

What's a 718? and the only airbag I have is when I bring my own balloon.

V
Hendrik Moulds

Post by Hendrik Moulds »

I have a tracker in the cab (6 volt) through Skytag, who monitor and test it monthly.
For the amount these cars are worth now, it seems mad not to do this.
(Formally 356ist)
Membership #: 356!
1953 Cabriolet
1959 Coupe (Sold)
1961 Notchback
1961 Sunroof Coupe (Sold)
1962 Coupe (Gone, but not forgotten!)
ALL RHD OF COURSE!
POR68
DDK above all

Post by POR68 »

"I couldn't get insurance for my 718 ... without a tracker". Sad world we live it, Ashley. I guess we are lucky here and I rest easy knowing that I am well insured and that the car has a a couple of standard systems that make it hard to drive away. Towing away is always a possibility, but they would need to be keen and patient. Any car can be stolen if it is wanted and valuable enough. Maybe unrestored cars have an advantage in this?
Merv

Australia
Porsche 356 BT6 (1 of 44 Australian delivered)