Oil pressure gauge

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Ben Nichols 1979
DDK addict

Oil pressure gauge

Post by Ben Nichols 1979 »

Hi

I am looking to fit an oil pressure gauge using the existing sender. I can find 52mm VDO gauges which I am happy with, I will have to make a new centre console board to fit it.

Question is do I need 0-5 bar or 0-10?

Cheers

Ben
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Oil pressure gauge

Post by KS »

You'll need a new sender - the one fitted in the car as stock is solely a pressure switch to trigger the oil pressure warning light. The problem is the sender sits low in relation to the surrounding tinware, meaning the usual VDO twin-pole sender unit for a gauge and the warning light) won't fit unless it is spaced away from the engine. See this post on 914world.com:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... uge+sender

This is one solution, but it can place a lot of stress on the threads in the case. Maybe use a shorter one from a 964...:

Better is to use a remote kit like this, which locates the sender on a flexible hose:

0-10bar would be preferable as on cold start an engine will often see well over 5bar (72psi).
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
defianty
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by defianty »

I have this if you're interested Ben. It was fitted to my car but I don't need it now. Send me a PM if you're interested. Yours for a charity donation and postage.

Just a small bit of chipped paint on the bezel that looks a lot worse in the photo.

Stephen

1973 914 3.0 GT Build Progress
1974 TR6

914 Rear Alignment Shims
Ben Nichols 1979
DDK addict

Post by Ben Nichols 1979 »

Thanks Keith, very useful info.

Stephen, PM sent